CST C-186 tire review (MSX)

mrelwood

12 hours ago, Guillenava22 said:

I have the cst-186 on my Msx, and I'm thinking to change to h666, course I think that it consumes a lot of battery, maybe the problem is my 95kg. I have increased the pressure at 2,4 bar. Maybe on this way will increase the range...

When I switched to the C-186 on my MSX, surprisingly it didn’t consume any more battery than switching from medium (or was it soft?) riding mode to hard mode would’ve.

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 1:05 PM, Elliott Reitz said:

Per some research, I'm getting an IRC T10299 2.5x14.

Has anyone else had any experience with this tire? 
I'm not sure if I should get this or the C-186 for my MSP
I have the Sherman on it's way and I was going to use the Sherman as my street cruiser and the MSP as my off-road, torque wheel. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/5/2020 at 10:21 AM, mrelwood said:

Thank you! I will be doing a few more tire reviews later this year.

54-B2-AE17-6-E7-F-45-D4-8-A6-A-D1-D8-C63

@mrelwoodmay I ask what studs exactly did you get and where from? I wanna do the same with my CST 186 but I hadn't heard about studs ever before until last week so I'm very clueless as to how many, what size, etc.

Thanks in advance :)

21 hours ago, carlitos said:

@mrelwoodmay I ask what studs exactly did you get and where from? I wanna do the same with my CST 186 but I hadn't heard about studs ever before until last week so I'm very clueless as to how many, what size, etc.

Thanks in advance :)

The shortest screw-in stud with a carbide tip I could find was 9x4mm, and they are for sale in numerous places. Ebay, Amazon, even some Finnish hardware/general stores. 

They still do require a liner between the inner tube and the outer tire though. An old inner tube is a good start, although I’m not sure if it’s enough. I used two layers of Gorilla tape, which when combined with a good quality puncture sealant (that doesn’t dry up) worked well enough for me.

As for how many, buy a bag of 200 pcs. The photo in your quote is with roughly 120 studs in total, but if I were to do it again, I’d put more studs on the sides (maybe a pattern: stud-stud-free, etc) and maybe even less in the center (like: stud-free-free-free). It would make a total of roughly 150 studs.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, mrelwood said:

The shortest screw-in stud with a carbide tip I could find was 9x4mm, and they are for sale in numerous places. Ebay, Amazon, even some Finnish hardware/general stores. 

They still do require a liner between the inner tube and the outer tire though. An old inner tube is a good start, although I’m not sure if it’s enough. I used two layers of Gorilla tape, which when combined with a good quality puncture sealant (that doesn’t dry up) worked well enough for me.

As for how many, buy a bag of 200 pcs. The photo in your quote is with roughly 120 studs in total, but if I were to do it again, I’d put more studs on the sides (maybe a pattern: stud-stud-free, etc) and maybe even less in the center (like: stud-free-free-free). It would make a total of roughly 150 studs.

Ok great. Thanks for the info. Someone had already posted these somewhere online (not sure if in here or in social media) https://www.best-grip.se/product/bestgrip-1000?sku=1000.200.1

It's quite expensive to be honest if you compare to how much a good Finnish studded car winter tire (Nokian) costs.

What do you think? No better way around it I guess...

10 hours ago, carlitos said:

Ok great. Thanks for the info. Someone had already posted these somewhere online (not sure if in here or in social media) https://www.best-grip.se/product/bestgrip-1000?sku=1000.200.1

It's quite expensive to be honest if you compare to how much a good Finnish studded car winter tire (Nokian) costs.

What do you think? No better way around it I guess...

Holy deer, that’s not right! Besides, that’s not the 9x4mm one I mentioned, that is much bigger.

I think the 9x4mm studs cost me something like 20-30€ for 200 pcs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Funky said:

If you people still got the CST C-186, could someone please measure it's width? 

Thanks.

Mine has been used for a few winters already, but on the V11 it tops out at 72.5mm (2.854”) at the knobs, and the carcass being 71.5mm (2.815”) wide.

Edited by mrelwood

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2021 at 11:46 PM, mrelwood said:

Mine has been used for a few winters already, but on the V11 it tops out at 72.5mm (2.854”) at the knobs, and the carcass being 71.5mm (2.815”) wide.

Did you have to make any modifications to V11 or the tire itself?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MateoSable said:

Did you have to make any modifications to V11 or the tire itself?

Nope. Or, well… I had to ride it for two winters in another EUC first… :lol:

• Haha 1

OK ladies and gentlemen, I have a quick update on the CST-186 on the MSX 84V:
It was daunting taking the whole wheel apart for the first time but I managed. Fitting the tire wasn't easy but also not super difficult with the right tools. The inner tube's valve hid away because of the weird angle that it is at.
I managed to get it going not super straight but kind of straight. I weight 73Kg. I filled her up @ 12PSI. It was difficult to keep her going straight because the tire wasn't centered properly.

Today I had to so I tried to center it properly after watching some YouTube videos for tips and tricks on how to do this. In the end I cracked the valve tube so now the thing is leaking. Here goes another few weeks of waiting... So sad because I had it finally nice and centered and it rode really nice and smooth.

I'll report once again when I have the new inner tube installed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guys, will the CST C-186 2.75-14 fit the Ninebot One S2? I'm going to order now I just don't want to find out later that it rubs. Also, can I use a 2.1" innertube with a 2.75 tire? 

Edited by KVS