16s 1.3.8 firmware ruined my wheel

Gary Spears

12 hours ago, Gary Spears said:

After downloading the latest firmware I can no longer recalibrate the horizontal and when you try to ride it tilts forward and backwards horribly the second you turn. Horrible purchase. It ran fine up until this latest firmware.

It's important to make the distinction between the firmware and the app: The firmware is the software inside the wheel, while the app is what you install on your phone and use to change settings (lights, tiltback, calibration, etc). 

From the number you mention (1.3.8), I assume what you updated was the Kingsong app. Unless you've gone to "update firmware" from within the app, the wheel's firmware remains the same version. 

It's odd for a new app version to create this kind of problems, but not unheard of. I remember having issues with app/firmware "coexistence" with the 18XL some time back: I updated the app, but it was unable to properly "communicate" with the wheel because the wheel was using older firmware, so I was forced to update it. In other cases it could be the opposite and wheel firmware is too new for an older version of the Kingsong app, although I doubt that's your case.

The solution might be to upgrade the wheel's firmware, although that does entail certain risks. It might be better to try an older version of the Kingsong app first. Are you using android or iphone?

And I feel your frustration...it's ridiculous that these $2k+ wheels come with such horrendous apps. It took me hours to even be able to unlock my wheel and ride it because of a problem with the app, and unlocking the top was a nightmare too. But don't despair, there's always a solution. Just try to be patient... (I know it ain't easy...)

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

If you look at this thread, I had similar problems.

In my case I found that there were 2 ways to access the calibration settings from the app. After a bit of trial and error I found it was possible to access the calibration page via a different menu selection, the page was exactly the same but it only worked if I accessed the page from a less obvious menu selection.

Does that make any sense ?  :facepalm:

• 3 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 12:16 PM, Lumps said:

I having the same issue. I just updated the my ks16s from 1.08 to 1.09. And it now tilts back a forth when I am trying to turn. Please tell I can down grade or recalibrate to resolve this issue. 

You need to perform a horizontal level calibration.

The FW upgrade you applied would have automatically done that after updating (a series of four short and one long  beep)... If your wheel wasn't level when that was done it will no longer know which way is up... But re-calibrating will fix it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Isnt the newest firmware at 2.1 for the ks 16s???

No, it has been permanently revoked (just checked) and now only 1.09 is offered for update.

So 2.0 has been deemed to be rubbish as well??What about the abolition of the whine? What was the reason 2.0 was upgraded to 2.1?Why is 2.1 rubbish and been removed.What is going on with Kingsong ???We know there app is crap but surely the Beta-test before releasing??So many questions.Thank you @Seba for your answers.I,m glad i held off updating my firmware!

37 minutes ago, Daley1 said:

So 2.0 has been deemed to be rubbish as well??What about the abolition of the whine? What was the reason 2.0 was upgraded to 2.1?Why is 2.1 rubbish and been removed.What is going on with Kingsong ???We know there app is crap but surely the Beta-test before releasing??So many questions.Thank you @Seba for your answers.I,m glad i held off updating my firmware!

I can only speculate that short after 2.00 release, they received complaints about some features working wrong, so they decided to release 2.01 that solved these problem. Apparently, 2.01 still contained bugs that affected user experience, so finally they decided to temporarily disable update and stay with proven 1.09 until all problems will be resolved. I think they will soon release 2.02 version, so I wouldn't worry about it so far.

However, I think that King Song should make beta firmware versions available to users who want to take part in the tests and accept the associated risks. It would certainly be much faster to detect problems, and the final version could take their comments into account. @tinawong, I think you should seriously consider this. This would benefit everyone and I can help by adding the appropriate features and required functions/consents to EUC World application.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seba said:

However, I think that King Song should make beta firmware versions available to users who want to take part in the tests and accept the associated risks. It would certainly be much faster to detect problems, and the final version could take their comments into account. @tinawong, I think you should seriously consider this. This would benefit everyone and I can help by adding the appropriate features and required functions/consents to EUC World application.

This. One hundred times this. I buy a pixel phone just to run the android dev previews. If instead I bought an iPhone and then suddenly had a half finished software update pushed upon me I would not be best pleased. Being able to beta test new firmwares intentionally through a volunteer program would be enjoyable for many of us, and the rest of us thus not having to be subjected to unfinished firmware will be enjoyable too (not to mention safer).