How to replace 18XL Trolley

Blicky Te⚡️la

I have footage... Waiting to be edited.   :(

I'm trying to find time, so will add this to the priority list.

If you can't wait;

1. Remove the pads
  2. Lift out the LED covers.
  3. remove the screws under each and the LED PCBs (unplugging as you extract them).
  4. Use a soft tool to run around the rim of the cover and "pop" the plastic catches.
  5. Before lifting the cover off, disconnect the speakers...

And feel free to post (or PM me) if you have any specific questions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I have footage... Waiting to be edited.   :(

I'm trying to find time, so will add this to the priority list.

If you can't wait;

1. Remove the pads
  2. Lift out the LED covers.
  3. remove the screws under each and the LED PCBs (unplugging as you extract them).
  4. Use a soft tool to run around the rim of the cover and "pop" the plastic catches.
  5. Before lifting the cover off, disconnect the speakers...

And feel free to post (or PM me) if you have any specific questions.

Thx  for the info.

It seems like I’m going to need to buy replacement pads (they seem to be glued on) in which case I have no choice but to wait. 

19 hours ago, TomOnWheels said:

@The Fat Unicycliston my 18L speakers are on the main frame and not on covers so do not need to disconnect them... Did it change on XL version ?

Oops... You are quite correct. The last wheel I tore down was a 16S, which is different.

18 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

There is this video of how to replace a 16S handle, I know it isn't the same machine but the handle does seem to be the same.

No... They look the same, but the handle for the 18 is longer and stronger. Having said that, the process for replacing them is practically the same.

17 hours ago, General Principle said:

Thx  for the info.

It seems like I’m going to need to buy replacement pads (they seem to be glued on) in which case I have no choice but to wait. 

The pads are attached using 3M double sided tape. If you can get an edge lifted then it is possible to peel them off without damage. Then you can reattach them with something crappier (that is easier to remove the next time).

I have a huge baclog of video to publish, but one that has already made it to YouTube is the one below, which I have cued up here showing the tools I use and how they can help...

• Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 2:42 AM, General Principle said:

Found

@The Fat Unicyclist, Someone mentioned to me some time back, in another thread, that those of us with 1st batch 18XLs and the terrible pressure sensor only need to loosen the screen a little for it to stop being to finicky. Based on this video, the pressure sensor screw is the one on the very bottom, right? 

@General Principle, this should help with removing the shell (you only need to watch the first 2:20, but still a good video to add to your collection for whenever you need to change a tire): :) 

Edited by travsformation

Had to replace the rails on the 18l.  One got stuck and just would not work right.  Jason McNeil and ewheels took care of me as he always does.  The black rails are installed and the handle works as it should. 

• 1 month later...

Replaced my 18L with upgraded handles, as one side wouldnt work. It's not a difficult task and well worth it. Just be careful with the overly soft screws, take time removing the pads, and dont overtighten the lift sensor. A working sensor and handle are VERY handy, I'm glad i bothered, once it was done. Wasnt a bad thing to become familiar with the inner working and to inspect things anyhow.