are San Francisco EUC riders bad at riding safely?

eucinsea

Interesting thing just happened, I got home from a lunch ride and people entering my building had seen me riding and the older woman said that they just saw me and was impressed and her son commented to her on how well and respectful I was riding. 

Her son elaborates to me saying he lives in San Fransisco and the EUC’rs  are bad riders and are constantly cutting people off and riding obnoxiously.

He also mentioned he is friends with a SFPD officer who said they are instructed to leave EUC riders alone and only focus on cars because the city really wants the cars out. 

I imagine he is elaborating but I thought I would see if any others feel this way or know about the SFPD hands off unspoken word. 

• Like 1

There are a lot of people who ride bicycles and scooters super fast on the sidewalks here, especially downtown. He may have been contrasting your riding to people like that. Probably 3/4 times I see an EUC rider in SF they're in the street or on a bike path. Personally, I do ride on the sidewalk when it's not safe to be in the street, or when there is no bike path. I'm always at walking speed when around pedestrians, trying to pass people politely and never cut anyone off. :efef8189d7:

Edited by lioku
  • Like 3

Glad to hear the police are leaving us alone. :) I've had several chats with police here in San Francisco while riding or taking a break. Never been harassed, run off or threatened with a citation. 

I'm sorry to hear someone was left with a bad impression. We ride in the streets routinely, at bicycle speeds in bike lanes and traffic speeds in vehicle lanes. There are some shared pathways where bicycles, pedestrians and us co-mingle and share space. I don't know every EUC rider in SF (saw randos 3 days in a row now) but if I did I would encourage them to ride safely and thoughtfully.

• Like 3

Having mixed with eScooter riders these past months, I'm now convinced the throttle in most motorized machines is a poor user interface because it's easy to apply accidentally apply full throttle then stay stuck there. The motorcycle twist throttle is even worse for beginners, and the automobile standard of having two pedals side by side, using virtually the same motion, is even worse which is why you see drivers give it full gas when they meant to give it full brake.

The EUC is unique in that throttling is perfectly controlled, with absolutely no chance of confusing throttle with brake, but pedal only electric bicycles aren't far behind.

Ever heard of an EUC rider saying he was on a runaway wheel? Is it even conceivable?

So I think the ability of just finally being able to ride an EUC gives you very good speed and placement control, while eScooters can allow anyone to get up to speed with very poor control.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, who_the said:

I've had several chats with police here in San Francisco while riding or taking a break. Never been harassed, run off or threatened with a citation. 

People in SF ignore lights and walk across the intersection whenever, openly shoot up drugs on the street, hold impromptu hill bombs down Delores St. and break all manner of other laws. I don't know what SF Police do, but it sure doesn't seem like policing. So if none of those things merit their attention I don't think EUCs are a high priority for them either. 

• Like 2

That's rather unfortunate. The few EUC riders I've randomly encountered seemed to be riding pretty courteously. Certainly much better than the majority of bicycle riders I see everyday, blowing traffic signals, riding the wrong way, passing way too close, etc.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 8:53 AM, Elder Meat said:

People in SF ignore lights and walk across the intersection whenever, openly shoot up drugs on the street, hold impromptu hill bombs down Delores St. and break all manner of other laws. I don't know what SF Police do, but it sure doesn't seem like policing. So if none of those things merit their attention I don't think EUCs are a high priority for them either. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611305a689e5ca3085a96

• Like 1

2 hours ago, who_the said:

I appreciate all perspectives, and if you think you wouldn't enjoy San Francisco, then you're best to stay away.

I love San Fran... Does that mean that I'm allowed back???   :D

• Like 3

Agree that bicyclists, cars and dog owners are really most of the nuisance. Bicyclists always flying by at 35+mph, some cars don't stop for anyone and dog owners let their dogs running around off leash. State/regional/local bureaucrats are not updating laws/rules/regulations regarding the green initiative. Bicyclists, electric or not, can fly over 15+ on Golden Gate Bridge, but EUCs are not allowed. Is it because of the battery? Thousands of cars drive through that bridge daily with batteries and gasoline? We may need a critical mass to prompt for rule changes, whenever EUC riders and other green vehicles become a critical mass. This may take awhile...

Edited by Scubadragonsan