Los Angeles Whittier Narrows Park Scouting

Kens

10 minutes ago, Kens said:

It's Friyay y'all !!! :clap3:

Forecast said there will be no rain tomorrow but the temperature will be sub 70s in the morning before 1pm.

@Marty Backe There is a Bar & Grill attached to Rancho Duarte Golf Course. Have you ever stop there? It's between Las Lomas and Huntington Dr just after the river bike trails.

Link: https://www.yelp.com/biz/duffers-bar-and-grill-duarte-2

Looks like they got an open outdoors patio, hopefully with outlets? Grab a drink and a charge.:cheers:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dave U said:

Looks like they got an open outdoors patio, hopefully with outlets? Grab a drink and a charge.:cheers:

Yes it got outdoor patio, cheap menu, good reviews and it's on our route so we don't have to take any detour.

I'm gonna ask @Dzlchef too on his opinion. The thing is if they don't allow us to charge then he might need to uber back..

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer", are you going to attend this?

Since this a shorter ride, afterwards I was thinking of switching wheels and do an exploratory ride. I want to test the Glendora Mountain Road. I know you're often up for some additional riding.

So I'm driving to this ride with a couple of wheels. When this is over, if I'm not too tired I'm going to drive to Glendora to do a bit of riding on this road. Bring an extra wheel if you want to join me.

You should go to GMR today, the Tour of California is happening there right now.  Maybe you too can get on the TV broadcast.

35 minutes ago, Dave Frear said:

You should go to GMR today, the Tour of California is happening there right now.  Maybe you too can get on the TV broadcast.

Yeah, I saw that video - cool. I'm actually going to ride in that area after the Saturday group ride.

2 hours ago, Kens said:

It's Friyay y'all !!! :clap3:

Forecast said there will be no rain tomorrow but the temperature will be sub 70s in the morning before 1pm.

@Marty Backe There is a Bar & Grill attached to Rancho Duarte Golf Course. Have you ever stop there? It's between Las Lomas and Huntington Dr just after the river bike trails.

Link: https://www.yelp.com/biz/duffers-bar-and-grill-duarte-2

No. On all my northerly routes I never take rest stops. I guess we can check it out.

1 hour ago, Kens said:

Yes it got outdoor patio, cheap menu, good reviews and it's on our route so we don't have to take any detour.

I'm gonna ask @Dzlchef too on his opinion. The thing is if they don't allow us to charge then he might need to uber back..

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

No. All all my northerly routes I never take rest stops. I guess we can check it out.

I have some great news for those in need of a charge. :clap3:

I did the Honors and became the Designated Scouter for this ride. :thumbup: I just got back from Duff's Bar and Grill, talked to a very nice lady by the name of Dana. I told her we have a group ride and that if it will be possible for some of us to charge up our wheels. She said it was no problem and is welcoming us tomorrow to charge outside at the Patio location. She will let Kelly (Will be working Saturday) know we are stopping by cause Dana will have the day off. I mentioned to her we will be ordering drinks and snacks. Dana was more than happy to help us out to enjoy our ride!

Lets have a Great RIde! :cheers:

6 minutes ago, Dave U said:

I did the Honors and became the Designated Scouter for this ride. :thumbup: I just got back from Duff's Bar and Grill, talked to a very nice lady by the name of Dana. I told her we have a group ride and that if it will be possible for some of us to charge up our wheels. She said it was no problem and is welcoming us tomorrow to charge outside at the Patio location. She will let Kelly (Will be working Saturday) know we are stopping by cause Dana will have the day off. I mentioned to her we will be ordering drinks and snacks. Dana was more than happy to help us out to enjoy our ride!

Fantastic! Looks like we're all set for a good ride.

3 hours ago, Dave U said:

Woohoooo! AWESOME!!! :thumbup:

Thank you @Dave U for scouting the scouting ride! That was fast :lol:

It's still no Hooters (:mellow:) but I hope it will be good enough refreshment point for the north loop.

It's all set then! So meeting point is on Pico Rivera Golf Club's parking lot (https://goo.gl/maps/fzdP2Av1uVoarESs5) @ 8.30am and we leaving at 9am right?

1 minute ago, Kens said:

Woohoooo! AWESOME!!! :thumbup:

Thank you @Dave U for scouting the scouting ride! That was fast :lol:

It's still no Hooters (:mellow:) but I hope it will be good enough refreshment point for the north loop.

It's all set then! So meeting point is on Pico Rivera Golf Club's parking lot (https://goo.gl/maps/fzdP2Av1uVoarESs5) @ 8.30am and we leaving at 9am right?

Yes, Meet up @ 8.30am and Rolling at 9am.

Beautiful rides y'all ! :thumbup:

Riding back passing Santa Fe Dam is dam (pun intended) gorgeous! 

Because of high winds racing down from the dam, we barely made it back. I'm at 32% while Dave was at lower 20s.

Riding the Z10 beeps! :eff034a94a:

Oh also we passed the biking couple that I almost hit few times. I gestured "I'm sorry" already.

6 minutes ago, Kens said:

Beautiful rides y'all ! :thumbup:

Riding back passing Santa Fe Dam is dam (pun intended) gorgeous! 

Because of high winds racing down from the dam, we barely made it back. I'm at 32% while Dave was at lower 20s.

Riding the Z10 beeps! :eff034a94a:

Yes we had a great time. After rolling those extra miles we returned and I ended up running out of juice, full tilt back 3/4 mile away from our final destination with battery at 5%. I ended up trolleying my wheel the rest of the way :efefc8626c:.  @Marty Backe   @Dzlchef were cool and rolled with me, good guys good company! Marty reminded me that this is the first group ride that someone actually runs out of juice.:facepalm:

11 hours ago, Dave U said:

Yes we had a great time. After rolling those extra miles we returned and I ended up running out of juice, full tilt back 3/4 mile away from our final destination with battery at 5%. I ended up trolleying my wheel the rest of the way :efefc8626c:.  @Marty Backe   @Dzlchef were cool and rolled with me, good guys good company! Marty reminded me that this is the first group ride that someone actually runs out of juice.:facepalm:

Great ride gents!!!

There was definitely some miscalculations with distance at some point.  We rolled 10 miles further than expected so it’s amazing only 1 wheel ran out of battery.  I was at 28% at the end and probably would have been walking with you too if my charger would have stopped at 90% during lunch like yours.  We did 22 miles before lunch, 26 afterwards, and the last 15+ miles I was riding at tilt back speed, sucking down the juice!  It’s tiring pushing that little wheel that hard for so long, with the winds!

When is my 16X being delivered?!?

4 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

Great ride gents!!!

There was definitely some miscalculations with distance at some point.  We rolled 10 miles further than expected so it’s amazing only 1 wheel ran out of battery.  I was at 28% at the end and probably would have been walking with you too if my charger would have stopped at 90% during lunch like yours.  We did 22 miles before lunch, 26 afterwards, and the last 15+ miles I was riding at tilt back speed, sucking down the juice!  It’s tiring pushing that little wheel that hard for so long, with the winds!

When is my 16X being delivered?!?

I had a great time. Yeah, even if we didn't do that river add-on we would have been 10-miles over the origin ~30-mile estimate. Oh well.

We all had fun though. And thanks again for the lunch Brian! :cheers:

I did go to Glendora and rode an additional 26-miles. This is the most I've ridden in one day with only a ~1-hour break between rides: 73-miles. My legs were trashed when I got home.

The Glendora Mountain road is amazing. It's closed to traffic right now although the condition of the road was excellent. I have no idea why it should be closed. So imagine being able to ride a perfect 2-lane road all to yourself for 20+ miles (in one direction)! When I rode down I only consumed ~5% battery!

The lighting conditions for the lunch shot were really tough. This is the best I could do.

From the left: @Kens, @Dave U, me, @Dzlchef, and @Dave Frear

IMG_20190518_123329993_HDR-2

And a couple of shots while we were waiting at a light

IMG_20190518_110747321_HDR-2

IMG_20190518_110756822-2

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Only KingSong's left at this point. From the left: @Dzlchef, @Dave U, and me

IMG_1583

Hey can you ping the Glendora road location you're talking about that was closed to cars? Would love to do that soon. No work booked for the next little while! 😎

39 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Hey can you ping the Glendora road location you're talking about that was closed to cars? Would love to do that soon. No work booked for the next little while! 😎

I'm tentatively planning a ride for this Saturday. I'm going to try the Lower Monroe Truck Trail to climb ~2500 feet to the Glendora Road and ride that down.

I parked here

This is where Monroe trail starts but you can just take the road all the way up: Google Pin

Later today I'll be posting some 360-video of the road so you can get a sense of what it's like.

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm tentatively planning a ride for this Saturday. I'm going to try the Lower Monroe Truck Trail to climb ~2500 feet to the Glendora Road and ride that down.

I parked here

This is where Monroe trail starts but you can just take the road all the way up: Google Pin

Later today I'll be posting some 360-video of the road so you can get a sense of what it's like.

Thanks Marty! 👊😎💜

3 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

Somebody has tomorrow off work and can be easily persuaded...:whistling:

Archived