Too much emotions..?

Guest PogArt Artur

Guest PogArt Artur

Shaking..?,
Are you (beginners) the same or it's me only?
Every time I go out of the gate I'm shaking like a rabbit seeing fox :)
The driveway it's kind of my safety zone, once out, I'm losing confidence straight away, the longer I'm riding the worst it goes, lol :)
I made about five runs outside,and decided to finish the session for tonight :)
The emotions are overwhelming my confidence!
I can feel I'm shaking, my wheel is wobbling then, because of me, so riding becomes uneven and risky, lol :)
I decided finish for tonight,to avoid possibility of crash, lol :)
Definitely more training is needed, lol !!!

Shaking because my body was unfamiliar with riding,yeah,  but shaking from fear, no.

Keep going beyond the gate until your fear goes away.

When I first rode over broken ground (not the smooth concrete I had trained on) I was a bit apprehensive, bit after a crossed it a few more times, it became no big deal. You know riding in the street is possible, so you just have to work it into your experience, until it becomes no big deal.  In order to get better you have to push the boundaries of your experience, so learning can also be fearing, but unless you learn you won't improve, and if you don't improve you will have the worlds most expensive wheelie bin slalom device.

Guest PogArt Artur
6 hours ago, Smoother said:

Shaking because my body was unfamiliar with riding,yeah,  but shaking from fear, no.

Keep going beyond the gate until your fear goes away.

When I first rode over broken ground (not the smooth concrete I had trained on) I was a bit apprehensive, bit after a crossed it a few more times, it became no big deal. You know riding in the street is possible, so you just have to work it into your experience, until it becomes no big deal.  In order to get better you have to push the boundaries of your experience, so learning can also be fearing, but unless you learn you won't improve, and if you don't improve you will have the worlds most expensive wheelie bin slalom device.

I love that comparison !

- the most expensive wheelie bin slalom device - hahahaaa ! Love it !

I'm wonder why you've compared my shaking emotions to the fear @Smoother?

Is there any fear?, I don't know cause all I'm feeling is lots of emotions :)

Every time I go outside, the excitement is killing my confidence lol :)

As you've said my friend, more practising is needed, to lose that shaking, as I did on the driveway before...

A week ago,I wouldn't imagine going through length of the driveway without the bins placed aside :)

Now I'm going down the street :)

Thank you for encouragement !

Guest PogArt Artur
6 hours ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

You have to relax. One or two beers will help.

Hahahaa :)

I deed, beers might be handy :)

I just can't control my emotions..., once my conscious senses I'm outside - my skills are gone hahahaa :)

I've experienced the same when I went out of the house for first time, and started on driveway...

I've lost all the skills I gathered on the kitchen floor :)

Thanks @Ch.Eng.62 :)  

When I started out, there was no way I'd ride straight out from my driveway into the street - that was too much of a high pressure/ high stakes environment with pedestrians, dogs, cats, cars etc. The best thing I did was drive out with my wheel in the car to a nearby quiet park with short grassy areas and concrete paths. Lots of space to crash without any drama, and boy did I crash a lot!

Part of learning is allowing yourself to make those errors, but give yourself a safe wide area to practice in.

I went for a forest trail ride today because I've been apprehensive about riding off-road. And the things I worried about did happen - yes I hit tree roots and fell off, yes I got wheelspin on slippery slopes and fell off. But no harm, no foul, no injury - the imagination can sometimes get carried away. I now have new skills and know what to look out for in off-road terrain so that next time I don't fall - well that's the theory anyway.

Keep at it! You'll surprise yourself at how well you can ride in a few week's time.

Guest PogArt Artur
6 minutes ago, Sidewalk Enforcer said:

When I started out, there was no way I'd ride straight out from my driveway into the street - that was too much of a high pressure/ high stakes environment with pedestrians, dogs, cats, cars etc. The best thing I did was drive out with my wheel in the car to a nearby quiet park with short grassy areas and concrete paths. Lots of space to crash without any drama, and boy did I crash a lot!

Part of learning is allowing yourself to make those errors, but give yourself a safe wide area to practice in.

I went for a forest trail ride today because I've been apprehensive about riding off-road. And the things I worried about did happen - yes I hit tree roots and fell off, yes I got wheelspin on slippery slopes and fell off. But no harm, no foul, no injury - the imagination can sometimes get carried away. I now have new skills and know what to look out for in off-road terrain so that next time I don't fall - well that's the theory anyway.

Keep at it! You'll surprise yourself at how well you can ride in a few week's time.

I'm appreciated your story tale :)

Good for you - you went off road today!

I assume for first time?

Well done you!

I'm aware of all those learning curve aspects, I just wanted to share my silly shaking :)

I'm a bit better with my non traffic dead end .., but I'd do the same as you otherwise.

Yesterday was the second time I did dare go outside, I'm not surprised the excitement is killing what I've learnt till now, lol  :)

I know it's going to be better until the "shaking" is gone, as it was regarding my driveway first steps...

The off road experience was mentioned before at some other post...

I know it's important to practice off road too,to push the limits and to gain all those skills,that may be handy at any time.

The better we're on the wheel, the safer for us.

At that post I've just mentioned, somebody had said that he's not interested in off road riding at all, he said,he's doing so to learn even more skills, that will help he's safer riding on the streets...

I'm feeling the same way.

Best regards!

Actually your fear shows you're highly evolved and don't want to die a horrible death! ;)

One of the first things they teach you in martial arts is falling so that way you won't be afraid of being knocked down.  I think there's something to learn from that...  If you're riding your wheel at a reasonable speed, driving safely and wearing protective gear (helmet, wrist guards, knee and elbow shields...you know the drill) you'll be fine if you get the wobbles and spill.  Join the club - we all fall down eventually.  It's part of learning.

Counter-intuitive as it may sound, you could pad up and do some break-falls in the driveway.  Once you get used to the idea of hitting the ground you'll probably get a good laugh out of the situation and overcome some of your stress.  Or maybe you could find some mats at the gym and practice there.  I'm sure there are hundreds of videos designed for martial artists dealing with falling, rolling and recovery if you need some pointers....

And don't hold your breath!  Seriously, you'd be surprised at how many folks who are training become tense and stop breathing.  Then before they know it they start to hyperventilate get more stressed, then they hold their breath some more...  Wash, rinse, repeat, right?

I don't advocate drinking and riding but ch.eng.62 has a fair point which is to find a way to relax and have fun.  Whatever floats your boat so long as you don't fear the water... ;)

@PogArt Artur I'll say again a big open space is best just go where the wheel takes you , your concentrating to much avoiding obstacles , look for a cricket pich what's nice and flat or just a big open space 😊😊 you'll see

Guest PogArt Artur
11 minutes ago, LZMutant said:

Actually your fear shows you're highly evolved and don't want to die a horrible death! ;)

One of the first things they teach you in martial arts is falling so that way you won't be afraid of being knocked down.  I think there's something to learn from that...  If you're riding your wheel at a reasonable speed, driving safely and wearing protective gear (helmet, wrist guards, knee and elbow shields...you know the drill) you'll be fine if you get the wobbles and spill.  Join the club - we all fall down eventually.  It's part of learning.

Counter-intuitive as it may sound, you could pad up and do some break-falls in the driveway.  Once you get used to the idea of hitting the ground you'll probably get a good laugh out of the situation and overcome some of your stress.  Or maybe you could find some mats at the gym and practice there.  I'm sure there are hundreds of videos designed for martial artists dealing with falling, rolling and recovery if you need some pointers....

And don't hold your breath!  Seriously, you'd be surprised at how many folks who are training become tense and stop breathing.  Then before they know it they start to hyperventilate get more stressed, then they hold their breath some more...  Wash, rinse, repeat, right?

I don't advocate drinking and riding but ch.eng.62 has a fair point which is to find a way to relax and have fun.  Whatever floats your boat so long as you don't fear the water... ;)

I used to practicing martial arts, starting of judo, through karate and lately kung-fu...

I guess I know you mean :)

I'd like to share all those emotiins/excitement feelings, that are overwhelming me once I'm outside of the gate...

It's such wonderful feeling riding freely lol  :)

I'm confident on the driveway, lets repeat it outside then :)

Cheers.

When I started learning, I was shaking, but from fear. Because I was afraid it is not possible to stop fast, when needed, when there's only one point of contact with the ground. As I am not yang boy, my experience says that sometimes stopping is more important than driving. But two beers did the job. 

Guest PogArt Artur
5 minutes ago, stephen said:

@PogArt Artur I'll say again a big open space is best just go where the wheel takes you , your concentrating to much avoiding obstacles , look for a cricket pich what's nice and flat or just a big open space 😊😊 you'll see

Thanks @stephen :)

The freedom of riding is killing my skills lol  :)

You're right, on the dead end I have neighbours cars parked on the street, pavements & kerbs I need to be aware of...

Then watching if no car is coming that way I go...

It's probably distracting me a lot, even I think I'm alright...

I'm not saying I'm learning proper way, but I'm trying to get more comfortable outside of my driveway, before I go to the park.

Bear in mind it's been only second session while I were practicing getting on the wheel...

It's all new to me.

I moved outside the gate,only thanks to managing getting on...

Once I started getting on, I felt I'm ok to go outside, because I could get on without holding to anything for support.

So it's all fresh yet, and literally a week ago I wouldn't imagine I can do, what I'm doing atm :)

I hope it's good sign, lol  :)

I have to be ready for 2020 ! :)

No rush then - plenty of time lol :)

Thank you @stephen !

Guest PogArt Artur
12 minutes ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

When I started learning, I was shaking, but from fear. Because I was afraid it is not possible to stop fast, when needed, when there's only one point of contact with the ground. As I am not yang boy, my experience says that sometimes stopping is more important than driving. But two beers did the job. 

Hahahaaa :)

Yeah, I know what you're saying my friend :)

I went out soon after I managed getting on the wheel  :)

Then I were riding throughout my driveway, there and back, coming off the wheel, getting on, turning to the gate, turning to the house's door, back to back garden...

Then again, until I felt I'm kind of ok to stop where I want without falling off the wheel...

Then as a last thing for that session, I've opened the driveway's gate to go outside for first time :)

The shaking of emotions was the same :)

I have lost all my confidence, and I wasn't able to get on the wheel while I was outside!

I have lost that skill straight away  :)

So I kept practicing for few more times, until I could get on the wheel...

Once succeeded for few times, I have finished that session to came home all shaking of excitement, because I just had pushed the limits further than ever before  :)

So yesterday all I were doing, was trying to get used to that feeling riding outside.

Getting on the wheel, riding the dead end street, coming back to the driveway ...

It's been my second time doing so, thus the emotions are very strong, causing me struggling to ride properly, because I'm shaking too much, being too excited that I'm riding outside of my safety zone :)

I'm old man , 47 :)

I'm worry if my heart will manage my learning curve! 

hahahaaa :)

1 hour ago, PogArt Artur said:

Thanks @stephen :)

The freedom of riding is killing my skills lol  :)

You're right, on the dead end I have neighbours cars parked on the street

Just trying to help

1 hour ago, PogArt Artur said:

used to practicing martial arts, starting of judo, through karate and lately kung-fu

I'm definitely just trying to help ,

I'm going to practice judo,kungfu,and karate for 2020 just in case you remeber me saying get out into a big open space frequently 😂😂

You are only a young man at 47yrs. Try and relax, go to an open space as suggested, or a park, maybe a supermarket carpark in the evening. Just relax, practice just going on straight lines until you feel comfortable. Once you feel connected to your wheel, the rest comes naturally....believe me, I speak as a veteran learner and I now ride with confidence. Go on out of your gate and enjoy yourself. 

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, stephen said:

Just trying to help

I'm definitely just trying to help ,

I'm going to practice judo,kungfu,and karate for 2020 just in case you remeber me saying get out into a big open space frequently 😂😂

Hahahaaa!

hahahaaa, hahahaaa !

You've made my day :)

Between you and me -> you're safe,cause It seems I'm a big sissy scared of wheeling :)

So no fighting bigger lads either :)

But I have to warn you, though!

Once I'm ok to ride, your Z10 won't be safe anymore ... :)

17 minutes ago, PogArt Artur said:

your Z10 won't be safe anymore

I have 2 wheels maybe 3 this year,your more than welcome to borrow one when your sorted riding anyway 😊

Guest PogArt Artur
Just now, stephen said:

I have 2 wheels maybe 3 this year,your more than welcome to borrow one when your sorted riding anyway 😊

WOOOW !!! !!! !!! 

It's very kind of you, but thank you :)

I wouldn't dare :)

As soon as I'd jump on one of yours, I'd have changed into sissy straight away @stephen, and get crashed asap,as my all experience will disappear then :)

(sorry for grammar - I'm self taught...) 

But thank you :)

You know...

The E+ I got only to start with, I didn't like starting off 14" wheel of V5F, I couldn't afford the V8, so E+ was about right to go for...

So if you'll ever think of selling some more advised wheel,I might consider to buy, as I doubt I can afford the new one any soon... :)

Anyway it'll take "some time" before I'll consider upgrading :) ,watching my progress I'm guessing,that it will take me a while to get skilled enough :)

4 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

I'm old man , 47 :)

I'm worry if my heart will manage my learning curve!   

Same age that I learned, and on the same wheel.  Keep practicing and you’ll have it soon. Don’t be afraid to fall.

I’m back to learner status now myself.  Vowed to learn how to ride backwards confidently by the end of month.  I’m back to falling again and my KS16S is looking pretty beat up!

Guest PogArt Artur
8 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

Same age that I learned, and on the same wheel.  Keep practicing and you’ll have it soon. Don’t be afraid to fall.

I’m back to learner status now myself.  Vowed to learn how to ride backwards confidently by the end of month.  I’m back to falling again and my KS16S is looking pretty beat up!

Thanks @Dzlchef :)

I wish you good luck with your aims too !!!

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

When I first rode over broken ground (not the smooth concrete I had trained on) I was a bit apprehensive,

That's interesting because I trained/learned on a spotty grass field. It was so bumpy that before I headed home due to discouragement I decided to take the sidewalk back to the car and it was a piece of cake! Maybe try off-roading for a good hour then go back on the road.

Guest PogArt Artur
2 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

That's interesting because I trained/learned on a spotty grass field. It was so bumpy that before I headed home due to discouragement I decided to take the sidewalk back to the car and it was a piece of cake! Maybe try off-roading for a good hour then go back on the road.

I'm sure that the off road will help.

I guess, once riding off road,what else can make you work as hard to balancing :)

Archived