KS18XL feels weird (tilting back at slow speed)

MacPara

12 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I just read the first post again, and the above was the last line, so clearly, wonky behavior is not normal for a KS18.

@RockyTop  might want to consider doing a proper re-calibration on your 18L/XL you.  Nothing you described makes sense on a properly calibrated king Song as shown by the above quote and @MacPara s recent two posts.

I just updated that 1st post to clarify that at that test ride I was in the middle of a group ride and on my ACM2 for a while when I just stepped off and we switched wheels. It did not feel different in it's responsiveness. Just better because of larger paddles and larger tire.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, MacPara said:

So I took my new 18XL for a quick test ride and I almost jumped off. It gave me the weirdest ride experience I've ever had. This is for FW 1.11, speed alarms disabled except for #3 at 37kmh and tiltback set 40kmh and set to expert (hard).  Getting on feels fine but as soon as I get to a fast walking speed the wheel seems to lean back into me like I am approaching tiltback. If I ignore this and accelerate it does so and slowly but suddenly removes that tiltback and rather leans forward too much which makes me feel that it lets me actually slowly fall forward. This is a very odd feedback that I don't have with my KS14S or the ACM2 and also did not at all experience when a friend let me ride his 18XL 2 weeks ago.  I should add that at that test ride opportunity, I just stepped off my ACM2 during a group ride and hopped on the 18xl and rode on. No trial or anything. Back then the 18xl just felt better, not wonky or anything. 

Is this some setting that I misinterpreted? Anybody else experience this? 

I just got off my kingsong 18 XL about 10 minutes ago I have everything set up properly the first two alarms are turned off the third alarm is set at the minimum and for some reason as I’m writing the pedals seem to adjust up and down really quickly which makes me kind of nervous and then If I accelerate a little more the  pedals tilt all the way back and they continually beeps as it’s tilting me all the way back and I have to jump off of it and grab it .... this is super dangerous I don’t know what’s wrong.  I have the new firmware, I have the new app and its still acting weird and I’m not trying to die riding a unicycle 

1 minute ago, Stein1922 said:

I just got off my kingsong 18 XL about 10 minutes ago I have everything set up properly the first two alarms are turned off the third alarm is set at the minimum and for some reason as I’m writing the pedals seem to adjust up and down really quickly which makes me kind of nervous and then If I accelerate a little more the  pedals tilt all the way back and they continually beeps as it’s tilting me all the way back and I have to jump off of it and grab it .... this is super dangerous I don’t know what’s wrong.  I have the new firmware, I have the new app and its still acting weird and I’m not trying to die riding a unicycle 

In short, if you recently firmware updated the wheel and the app to 3.0.x then I suggest you do a horizontal calibration of the wheel.

That fixed my KS18L.

I’m not sure if I have the 3.0 version of the app I will check. I did a calibration initially with a level. But I did it on the side of the unit versus looking straight at the unit and at the headlight and power button. So I will put a level on there and calibrate it that way to make sure he is 100% level left and right. Thanks I’ll give it a shot. What is yours doing that weird tilting all the way back thing?

Mine were feeling like a inflatable bed or like standing on a surfboard with soft waves passing under it. Occiliating slowly tiping pedels up/down or forward/reverse if you like.

If you have the 3.0.x App, then what does the diagnosis info tell you?

You can see others talking about this in the KS18L firmware thread I created.

You navigate like this (android version 3.0.7).

1929646673_Screenshot_20190321-201248_ImageResizer.thumb.jpg.355abdcbb37832f72cdd904e6c7880d4.jpg1788739213_Screenshot_20190321-201404_ImageResizer.thumb.jpg.93fc9d884fa948e39d16aa3ebef51f0e.jpg1269316429_Screenshot_20190321-201336_ImageResizer.thumb.jpg.2623ebe513025d72b95e8830c140315f.jpg

• 1 month later...

Going to bump this thread rather than start another.  I have the same problem with my 18xl.  I  have 241 km on wheel.  Went for a ride today and the wheel will not let me get over a crawl.  The past 240km have been flawless.  Nothing that I can tell changed from the last time I rode it to this time.   I have calibrated it multiple times.   At least I am pretty sure I calibrated it because I was able to set different pitch angles.  

I have tried different speed settings and that doesn't seem to help.

My charge is at 97%

Also I downloaded the old version of the king song app to unlock it but it never connects.  I've tried twenty times but I never see anything under available devices.

Updated to the 1.12 firmware/ Deleted the old version of the Kingsong App and updated the app to 3.0.9

Recalibrated because it threw me off the first time when skipped this step

Now it vibrates a little while at rest.  Nothing crazy but didn't do this yesterday.

Disabled Alarms 1 and 2.   Warp set at 20kph.   Won't let me change warp.

Took it for a spin and it is tilting me back exactly at 20kph.  I guess I'm speed limited now  so need to find out how to unlock.

I wasn't limited to 20kph yesterday.  Why the reverse?

Nothing in the app seems like it is going to allow me to unlock the speed limit.

Ideas?

Ok.. so I think I solved my problem.   I am going to leave the problem up though because someone else might have the same issue and hopefully they won't lose a day like I did.

Basically I my EUC was tilting back at 20kph and not going any faster.    After going through multiple attempts to reset the speed setting it finally dawned on me that warping setting was set at 20kph and that might not be a coincidence.  I didn't know what value to use so I just set it equal with the third alarm.  I think when I tried to set it higher it failed to update. 

Finally the EUC took those settings and allowed me to get up past 20kph without tilt back so I am guessing that warp setting is their terminology for tilt back  

Oh... and disable alarms one and two (set to value of zero)

I still have no idea how those settings changed.

8 minutes ago, Dreman said:

Ok.. so I think I solved my problem.   I am going to leave the problem up though because someone else might have the same issue and hopefully they won't lose a day like I did.

Basically I my EUC was tilting back at 20kph and not going any faster.    After going through multiple attempts to reset the speed setting it finally dawned on me that warping setting was set at 20kph and that might not be a coincidence.  I didn't know what value to use so I just set it equal with the third alarm.  I think when I tried to set it higher it failed to update. 

Finally the EUC took those settings and allowed me to get up past 20kph without tilt back so I am guessing that warp setting is their terminology for tilt back  

Oh... and disable alarms one and two (set to value of zero)

I still have no idea how those settings changed.

the stupid term warping that their newer apps use for some reason is tilt back, yes.. alarms 1 and 2 are completely optional but 1 must be < than 2 and 2 must be < than 3 if they are enabled.. alarm 3 is not optional, you can set it to anything you like as long as its above 1 and 2 and below tilt back.. for example on my 16s i have 1 and 2 at "0" and then 3 at "34" and then warping aka tilt back at "35"

edit: btw to change the speed above the app and firmware default of 20 you must connect to their servers... so i suggest you keep it at max and just adjust the alarms.. because once changed, it can be very difficult to change it again.. i find the newest all blue app to be the best at connecting and allowing you to switch the max speed tilt back around.. it should never revert on its own so again i just suggest leaving it at max

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

edit: btw to change the speed above the app and firmware default of 20 you must connect to their servers...

Can these values be changed by Darknessbot without connecting to KS servers?

22 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

Can these values be changed by Darknessbot without connecting to KS servers?

no.. alarms i think so, but never speed unlocker

6 hours ago, Rywokast said:

edit: btw to change the speed above the app and firmware default of 20 you must connect to their servers... so i suggest you keep it at max and just adjust the alarms.. because once changed, it can be very difficult to change it again.. i find the newest all blue app to be the best at connecting and allowing you to switch the max speed tilt back around.. it should never revert on its own so again i just suggest leaving it at max 

Max being the value of 60?

1 hour ago, Dreman said:

Max being the value of 60?

max is 50

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

max is 50

Ok ... mine was set for 49.    The new app has a value of 60 at the end of the slider bar.   Maybe it doesn't let you set that number though

Hmmmm ..  I was thinking about how the app let me set the third alarm and warp both at 49.  Does that mean I am speed unlocked???

5 hours ago, Dreman said:

The new app has a value of 60 at the end of the slider bar.

If you try to set it to 60, it won't work and will go to the current setting. You can't set it past the max speed of the wheel. I know it's bad interface, but the KS app sux. Anyway, that's what people have reported in this forum on other threads. (I don't actually KNOW anything--just what I've read. My first wheel, a KS18XL hopefully arrives Friday'ish.)  ;)

2 hours ago, erk1024 said:

If you try to set it to 60, it won't work and will go to the current setting. You can't set it past the max speed of the wheel. I know it's bad interface, but the KS app sux. Anyway, that's what people have reported in this forum on other threads. (I don't actually KNOW anything--just what I've read. My first wheel, a KS18XL hopefully arrives Friday'ish.)  ;)

Enjoy the wheel, but remember to use helmet, wrist guards and knee pads. I got confident and then had a fall after close to 900 km. Not fun! I am getting mine on Friday too, almost thinking about skipping work so that I don't miss the shipment :)

4 minutes ago, Ather said:

remember to use helmet, wrist guards and knee pads.

Thanks! Actually I may have gone a bit overboard. I've got two helmets, two sets of wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads, hiking boots with ankle protection, light gloves and a mesh jacket with D3O armor. I'll either wear the jacket or the elbow guards, and wear the rest regardless. I ended up with two wrist guards as I bought a cheap set, and then saw the information about the Demon Flexmeter ones and decided I should get them. As far as the two helmets... I messed up. I really liked the white and black icon jacket, but the helmet I got was orange. White and orange... bleh... not a good color combination. So I got another white hemet that matches the jacket. LOL. I guess I was just excited about the wheel. :P

Archived