Did electric unicycles inspire you to buy a electric car?

Joff

It told me it didn't have the range to get me home, but I didn't listen....now I listen! I thought I could just turn the heat off and drive gently and get further than it thought I could, but had to run wipers and defrost. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Joff said:

Absolutely amazing car when kept within it's range. 

They are looking better every day. My driving needs are some what similar to a long distance ambulance service. ( 150 mile radius) I never know when where or how far I will need to go only that I have to get there ASAP. Some days I drive 12 hours a day. I don't think electric cars are ready for that yet. They do look good enough for average use. 

Edited by RockyTop

in short it has properly made me decide against buying an electric car. 

Reason:

I bought a Mazda CX-5 2.5l awd october 2017, since then I have driven it about 6500km. in between my EUCs I now have 1650ish km. I bought my first EUC in march 2018.

I cannot see me upgrading my car anytime soon, as I use my EUC more and more. It is not that I dislike my car, but my EUC is just so much better for the short rides I do . most trips are between 5-20km pr day. But at times I need more booth space and due to atrose in lower back and knees I sometimes are in such pain that a SUV is only option. Those days are fewer and further inbewteen since I started using EUC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I own a BMW i3 REx and love it, but I owned the car prior to learning about EUCs.  It’s a polarizing car, you either love it or hate it.  I like having the range extender so in emergencies or taking trips you can run on petrol if there’s no charging available, or as a convenience.   I’ve taken it to LV and back easily.   You can program the car to hold state of charge on the battery at 75% or less and run on gas.

I like the Tesla’s a lot but there’s something very zen about driving the i3, especially in the city and traffic.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, RockyTop said:

I’ll have to say, you are not really selling me on the whole electric car thing. 

I am glad that your EUC could save the day though. That was pretty cool. :thumbup:

It's really sad how poorly the Chevy volt was advertised and subsequently sold.

To me the volt really is pretty much the perfect electric car for the transitionary period of electric charging infrastructure build up.  38 mile EPA range, I could get around 46-48 in good weather temps and by driving gingerly on the 2015 model year.  Though my commute is usually much less so I just drive it how I want and don't care about efficiency usually.  Current models get around 55 EPA but you could probably get 65-68 by driving gently.

With my volt most of the time I can drive on battery unless I go on a road trip to my parents or for some reason do a lot of driving to various places on a weekend.  In those cases I just run on the gas engine until I can charge up again.  If I want to drive to san Diego I can, first 40 miles are electric, rest are gas, if I need to refill I stop for 5 minutes then keep going.

I own the 2015 volt, last model year of the first generation style.  Supposedly these things were overengineered in terms of quality since it was their first real go at it and they didn't want it to have a terrible reputation.  I believe it as the 1st generation volts, especially the last model year of the 1st gen have better quality ratings than the current 2nd gen volts. 

For the vast majority of people, their daily commute is less than 50 miles round trip.  So for most people (not living in apartments) the volt would have been an excellent option if they had somewhere to charge it.  My spec had an MSRP of about 40K, I got it for ~35k after sales tax, then I got a $9500 tax credit.  So new car better than a prius for 25K.  Drive almost exclusively on electric but have the option to use gas when I need to.  Have had no mechanical or electrical problems.  Overall a damn great car.

If you don't care that Chevy has stopped production on the volts due to not enough demand, you could probably get a high end package 2019 model for a steal of a price since they are EOL.

I'm sure they have enough spares and parts to cover maintenance as long as you'll own the car or at least for 8-10 years and if you are worried about it just buy coverage under their warranty. 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/1/18119828/chevy-volt-cease-production-gm-ev-electric

Edited by Heyzeus

On 3/8/2019 at 8:43 AM, Dzlchef said:

I own a BMW i3 REx and love it, but I owned the car prior to learning about EUCs.  It’s a polarizing car, you either love it or hate it.  I like having the range extender so in emergencies or taking trips you can run on petrol if there’s no charging available, or as a convenience.   I’ve taken it to LV and back easily.   You can program the car to hold state of charge on the battery at 75% or less and run on gas.

I like the Tesla’s a lot but there’s something very zen about driving the i3, especially in the city and traffic.

Yeah, it's great in city traffic, and when you fit in a parking spot that wouldn't fit another car that holds less, it is easy to laugh at the haters!

• 1 month later...

other way around....

i bought a Tesla Model S P85 in 2013, best car ive ever owned, still have it, runs better than brand new

then i bought solar for my house, electrical bill has been wiped out completely for 5 years so far

After all that i got into personal electric transports rather than a bicycle

ive been trying to electrify everything as its just more efficient.

an EUC is what i calculate as the most efficient method of transportation see below...

Typical car averages 25 MPG / ~9.5 L/100km / ~834 Wh/km

Tesla's will average 125 MPG / ~1.8 L/100km / ~170 Wh/km

EUC's will average 2317 MPG / ~0.1 L/100km / ~9 Wh/km

EUC's are an order of magnitude difference compared to the most efficient of EV's, going to work on one takes 50 mins to go 25 km, going to work in a car takes 40-45 mins where i am. almost no difference.

Edited by PotatoInside
  • Like 1