Mobile app

Major Bathos

So, the app, version 1.54 on my android devise is how do you say... no good. I was wondering when a new version would be coming out, where can I get it, and when it would actually be on the app store. Come to think of it, why isn't it on the app store at this time? Does it's current iteration violate the terms and conditions of Google's play store? 

My issue with the app is it will connect to my wheel maybe half of the time. When it does it will reset my tilt back speed and alarms. That can get really annoying. It takes me many tries to get that back to the way I like it and then I don't want to use the app again. BUT I was having an issue where my light wouldn't turn on one evening so I cracked out the app. The ride home was slow as it reset the speed. I was able to get the light to turn on after opening up the app, still don't know why. (And before you point out that you can use the power button to toggle the light I know and it wasn't doing anything for me, But hey, thanks for pointing that out). While I was in there I was also hoping there was a sensitivity setting to the light sensor. When it is set to auto it turns on and off constantly as car headlights, street lights, and some other source that is too dim for me to notice can affect it. I was hoping the sensor was only strong enough to tell if it was in direct sunlight or not. 

Light issue aside I would love it if we could get some idea when a working, reliable app would be available and it was downloadable from normal channels. 

There is a new app coming out from King Song... Some dealers have a prototype version for testing, and the finished app should be available (hopefully) later in February.

As to why the current one it isn't in the Play Store - who knows? But 1.54 is the current release version.

I appreciate that you needed to change some settings, but once that is done, I would suggest using WheelLog (available in the Play Store) instead - while you can't change much, it presents a lot more information, both in real-time and in a stored log.

Now, to your light sensor - As you say it turns on and off with car lights, I am guessing that you have an 18L/XL? Assuming that is correct, do you have the light sensor to the front of the wheel when you ride or the back? Most often people ride with it to the back (as the wheels often ship with the mudflap on the other side). My understanding though is that it was designed to be at the front (and the power switch to the rear), which changes how it reacts considerably. So you might want to try that - and if that works for you, all it takes to make it a permanent change is to switch the mudflap to the other side. 

10 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I appreciate that you needed to change some settings, but once that is done, I would suggest using WheelLog (available in the Play Store) instead - while you can't change much, it presents a lot more information, both in real-time and in a stored log.

Thanks for the update on the app. For the Quote above I do have the WheelLog app and use that one all the time but it can't control much so when I need to make adjustments, like when I unlock it in a few more km, I have to use the KS app. WheelLog is a nice app. Today on my second leg of the the trip it could see my wheel in the bluetooth devices but would never finish linking. Worked great at first. I'll have to look deeper into that tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Now, to your light sensor - As you say it turns on and off with car lights, I am guessing that you have an 18L/XL? Assuming that is correct, do you have the light sensor to the front of the wheel when you ride or the back? Most often people ride with it to the back (as the wheels often ship with the mudflap on the other side). My understanding though is that it was designed to be at the front (and the power switch to the rear), which changes how it reacts considerably. So you might want to try that - and if that works for you, all it takes to make it a permanent change is to switch the mudflap to the other side.

I do have a KS-18XL and I looooOOOoooove it. You are correct about the sensor being in the back at this time and i can make that adjustment; I just feel better with the power button in front of me cause I guess I have trust issues. I figured at first it was the cars behind me turning my light on and off but later that night when no cars were around it was happening here and there still. I deduced that it was some of the street lights, which aren't that bright along the stretch of road I was on, that would toggle the light. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that it is incredibly dark on when in between lights but when you get close to the light it was enough to turn off my light. 

1 hour ago, Major Bathos said:

You are correct about the sensor being in the back at this time and i can make that adjustment; I just feel better with the power button in front of me cause I guess I have trust issues. I figured at first it was the cars behind me turning my light on and off but later that night when no cars were around it was happening here and there still. I deduced that it was some of the street lights, which aren't that bright along the stretch of road I was on, that would toggle the light. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that it is incredibly dark on when in between lights but when you get close to the light it was enough to turn off my light.

The idea is that when there are lights in front of you the headlight can turn itself off... So you don't blind on-coming riders / drivers. And if there is light in front of you then you don't need to rely on your light as much...

Let me know how you find it.

I was having problems with the android app not sure which version but I would connect after turning the Bluetooth music connection off, then it would disconnect as I was rolling forward.  It was doing the same thing with wheel log.  I was not having this problem on my ipad so I uninstalled both wheellog and kingsong on my android phone and reinstalled wheellog.  Works fine now.  I am going to try and find ks1.54 app and see if it works.  This is in relation to the kingsong 18l, forgot to mention that part.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:13 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The idea is that when there are lights in front of you the headlight can turn itself off... So you don't blind on-coming riders / drivers. And if there is light in front of you then you don't need to rely on your light as much...

Let me know how you find it.

It's not just that, but very useful for pavements with streetlights

Meaning if there are pavement lights AHEAD of you, then your front headlight will turn off as it's not necessary

Now if the sensor was at the back, the headlight would annoyingly turn off every time the street light PASSES behind (I e you are back in the dark) - now you don't want that

Sadly, the design of light sensor in KS is totally flawed :( Both in terms of sensor location and software realization. Turning the headlamp off by lights of ongoing traffic makes us less visible to this traffic. Also it makes us not seeing the road/terrain ahead. Second, there is no delay in control alghoritm to prevent from turning light off when the sensor is lit by streetlights or cars. I hope that KS software developers will improve the software in this area, so the light sensor of KS-18L/XL will work in a way similar to light sensor in cars.

I personally never use the auto function for the light. It was very annoying, turning off all the time, when you want it to just stay on. Not sure why we're so concerned about "blinding" people. It's much less blindingly bright than say all those oncoming cars' headlights are, and they're sure as hell not worried about inconveniencing someone's optic nodes. I keep mine on 100% of the time at night. It's all about safety, and I'd much rather be safe, causing someone to have to turn their eyeballs away from me for a few seconds, than ending up kissing the pavement because my light turned off at a bad time. I too was complaining about the horrible app when I got my XL. I set my lights how I like them and now I never turn on the app...I just use a speedometer app to check my huevos' level...😜

Archived