KS18L - User modes

Ande

Does anybody know what the exact differences are between the riding modes Beginner, Normal and Expert?  I would imagine top speed, acceleration and braking would vary between modes, but it would be nice to know the details. Any other differences like gyroscope strength or anything I should be aware of?  Thanks :)

I'm not totally sure. But I've read something about beginner meaning that the wheel is less responsive. And I think the speed settings also automatically goes back to 20km/h when you choose beginner. After been riding my V8 for 2000km before getting my XL beginner and normal just felt wrong and I went directly for expert. I don't have any idea of why you wouldn't want your wheel to be responsive. On the V8 you don't even have the option.

I think the 18L is such a big wheel that a lot more is needed to get it to turn and go forward than the smaller wheel. And making it less responsive just make it even harder.

Thanks both. I’ve currently got it set to Beginner, and yes, it can be a slog to get it moving.  I’ll pop it onto Normal later, and see how different it feels.  I think I might be pushing my luck if I go straight to Expert :w00t2:

I ride in all three modes I like them all, depending on the situation.  I even switch modes while on the move, you can actually feel the wheel react as you click into a new mode; its fun but not dangerous, try it.

Now, about the modes:

As @Jens Ronnedal said above, in Expert/0 mode it won't suddenly take off like a corvette with the throttle stuck wide open. Its just more stiff.  In other words, it won't allow any perceivable lean before it reacts. So the pedals stay virtually level the whole time; stopped, barely moving, accelerating hard, riding fast, braking, etc they don't seem to move.  The advantage of this is lightning fast response to your inputs, but, I must emphasize this, the wheel will not become darty and uncontrollable.  FYI my first wheel was in expert mode out of the box and for the next 1000km, and it didn't kill me.

The middle mode,  mode 1 on darknessbot.  Allows the pedals to dip a bit in response to your foot pressure, before transmitting your intentions to the motor.  So you get this slightly lazy response, but never anything bad.  In addition to allowing your whole body (including your feet) to lean into acceleration, it also allows the same when braking.  I like this effect, as breaking hard in mode 0 your feet stay flat while your body is leaning back.  It's not confidence inspiring.  But in mode 1 your feet are leaning back also, which is more natural.  It feels better under foot as there is still a component of your force pushing down into the pedal when braking, rather than trying to slide off the front of a completely horizontal pedal in mode 0.

Mode 2 the last mode is just like mode one only more so.  There's a definite "rubber band" effect; you lean, the pedals lean and only then does the wheel start to move.  Again, nothing dangerous, just more lazy.  You also get a bigger braking effect as the whole wheel and pedals are leaning back into the deceleration along with your body. This put more of your force down through the pedal rather than the mode 0 sliding off the front feeling; which is not an issue if you have good grip on your pedals.  On my KS14c with no grip tape or rubber pads, if my soles were wet, it was an issue.

Each mode has its place. But as @Marty Backe said once , somewhere, riding in the lazy modes is like going from a sports car to a big old comfortable Cadillac (or words to that effect).  There is a place when riding, for a big old Cadillac feel, it really takes the busy-ness out of choppy surfaces.  By that I mean that mode 1 and 2 allow the wheel to  shake about in response to the rough surface but without forcing the motor to make constant speed changes, as it would in mode 0.  I'm also told, that because of this, mode 1 and 2 use less energy than mode 0 as it smooths away the sudden instant power demands of mode 0, which tries to interpret every shake of the wheel.

For smooth to medium smooth surfaces any mode is fine, but for a serious off road trail, although it sounds counter intuitive due to the roughness, mode 0 is best.  Why?  because on a trail where every little rock, and branch and dip is shaking the wheel, if the wheel doesn't power up immediately to compensate, you will be eating dirt.  That's because your center of gravity will have moved too far forwards while your wheel is waiting for mode 1 or 2 to catch up.  There is no catch up on the trail, it's either power up, or down in the dirt.

Wow!  Okay, that all makes lots of sense. I’m not entirely sure I like the sound of permanently horizontal pedals, so I shall definitely save Expert for later.  Mode 1, or Normal seems to tick most boxes for me, on paper at least.  Unfortunately, it has decided to pour down with rain here in Exeter, purely because I have the afternoon off.  I shall do some mode experimenting as soon as the opportunity presents itself.  Many thanks :)

1 hour ago, Ande said:

save Expert for later

Iam fairly new to this EUC game as well, 920km on the clock.

Just last week i looked in my app as i was standing in the line @ the supermarket and i thought ohhh yeah ride mode, iam still in medium, isn’t it time for expert? :ph34r:

Totaly forgot about that ride mode. :lol:

So i rode all the time on medium and it was absolutely fine, tarmac or off-road.

Iam trying expert for a bit now it’s quite fun, and for the future i think I’ll switch between medium and expert.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I just have to say, @Smoother, your description/explanation of the riding modes was the best, most comprehensive and clear that I’ve yet come across. By far. :thumbup:

Sometimes I write something worth reading. :cheers: That's my quota filled for the month.:(

Archived