Inmotion V10 Fast Charger

adampj

Hello All! 

Patiently awaiting delivery of the V10 🤞 (yay) ... In the interim, I've been doing a bit of research on charging options. 

I understand the supplied charger takes approximately 5 hours to recharge from empty. However, I've seen talk online of so called "fast-chargers" that can reduce this time downwards. 

Can anyone offer any advice/guidance on this front, particularly relating to the V10? I've struggled to find any definite answers, a lot of talk around Gotways but nothing concrete for the Inmotion. I've seen talk around 4V/5V chargers but it's a little beyond me if I'm honest right now. 

Really appreciate any advice, guidance, links etc and particularly what type of charging time someone could expect if such a charger exists. 

Thanks all! 😄

Literally the same as Gotway (or any other brand chargers), just with a plug that fits into and has the correct pin configuration for the V10(F) instead. They come generic from the factory with no plug installed and the only difference between wheels is the plug. A charger has a max voltage where it stops and a max current so it won't immediately vaporize anything you plug it into, that's about it. If you have a small adapter cable, you can use any 84V charger, e.g. one for Gotways.

Here's such an adapter going from GW 84V-->KS 18(X)L 84V for example. You'd need a V10(F) equivalent.

https://www.facebook.com/1radwerkstatt/photos/a.541633142644565/1305478702926668/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/1radwerkstatt/photos/a.541633142644565/1305478682926670/?type=3

Picture with plug types on ewheels site (scroll down): https://www.ewheels.com/product/ewheels-84-2v-rapid-chargers/

You could ask the 1radwerkstatt guy to make you a fast charger for the V10 right away. No idea who else does this. 

Usual chargers are 1.5 or 2A, 4-5A is fast chargers, more may be disabled by the wheel or be too much for the charging cables. Not sure how it is with the V10. 4-5A is going to be fine and is a normal fast charger.

The last 10% or so of battery will be the same speed no matter the charging current (because the current goes down when approaching 100%). So fast chargers are more notable with bigger batteries (more time saved at full current charging because it takes longer so any percentage saved of that is longer). You can't fast-charge from 90% (or whatever the number is where the current starts dropping) to 100%, it takes always the same time to "top up".

No sure how much it would do on a V10. My (very uneducated) guess you can maybe save... 1.5 hours with a 5A charger? No idea. Also depends on how fast the standard charger is in comparison (1.2A, 1.5A, 2A?). Someone who tried must tell. Do you even need a fast charger for such a battery size? Maybe wait if you even feel you need one when you got the wheel.

You could also get a dual input charge doctor for the V10 (you'd have to request one, but I'm sure he'd do it) and an extra standard charger to use 2 standard chargers for 3A or 4A charging (not sure how fast the standard charger is) which is plenty fast enough for this smaller battery. It would just act as a Y cable. That might be a cheaper alternative.

Hi @meepmeepmayer,

A big thank you for your very comprehensive reply (as always!). You've given me far more information than I've managed to accurately obtain from most other places I've read up on this - I'm very grateful!

I'm now going to go have a look at the links you've kindly provided, additionally I've been considering something like the charge doctor actually for prolonged battery life. However, your idea for combining this with another standard charger is also a great idea. 

Once again, you've been a great help, thanks man.

Adam. 

Didn't you buy a V5F, too? It's 84V too. Then you'd already have two 84V chargers and would just need a 35€ (potentially custom) charge doctor (ask and you shall receive). That should be plenty fast enough for a 650Wh wheel. So unless you're really pressed for time when charging (and as said, the last 10% or so are never faster)...

@meepmeepmayer Who, me? ;) ha, yes I did, the V10 for longer, more adventurous rides and the V5F for quick town rides or for friends who want to come out riding with me :) - I didn't even think about that idea to be honest. I think you've pretty much made the decision for me and saved me a few bucks in the process. Beers are on me when I next visit Germany I think. From what you've suggested, the Charge Doctor is definitely the way to go and utilising (both) the existing chargers is a spot on idea. Now to go find out what's possible on that front..! I'll keep you posted.

Eh I think the 30.10€ may already be the right one, you might not even need a custom thing. It does not mention the V5F there, no idea what plug that has. Research that or wait til you have your wheels and look at the two chargers.

You can ask when you order, in Paypal you'll have to add your shipping address to the "notes" and you can add the info what you want to do with it and if that's the right one.

http://hobby16.neowp.fr/buy/

@meepmeepmayer - It looks as though the V5F uses a Lenovo charger connector and the V10 uses a GX12-3 charger connector. I've dropped @hobby16 a message and asked him if it's possible that a Dual Charge Doctor could accept both styles of cables as inputs, with an output of GX12-3 to connect up to the V10. In theory, 2A from each charger, hopefully a 4V charger output if this idea works. I'll keep you posted. Big thumbs up to you if this is a possibility! :efefae4566:

21 minutes ago, adampj said:

It looks as though the V5F uses a Lenovo charger connector

I think these are hard to find:efeeab781c: We'll see.

Instead of a doctor, a literal Y cable with Lenovo+GX12-3 inputs to GX12-3 output should also work. No idea where to get one. But it can't be that hard, can it? Know any guy with a bit of electric knowledge for DIY, maybe?

Anyways, extra standard charger is still an option with the 30.1€ doctor... or a real fast charger.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:10 AM, adampj said:

Hello All! 

Patiently awaiting delivery of the V10 🤞 (yay) ... In the interim, I've been doing a bit of research on charging options. 

I understand the supplied charger takes approximately 5 hours to recharge from empty. However, I've seen talk online of so called "fast-chargers" that can reduce this time downwards. 

Can anyone offer any advice/guidance on this front, particularly relating to the V10? I've struggled to find any definite answers, a lot of talk around Gotways but nothing concrete for the Inmotion. I've seen talk around 4V/5V chargers but it's a little beyond me if I'm honest right now. 

Really appreciate any advice, guidance, links etc and particularly what type of charging time someone could expect if such a charger exists. 

Thanks all! 😄

@adampj  my friend, I'm not suggesting you use a non-official or third-party charger to charge the vehicle. It has potential risk damaging the battery.

Archived