Do you put the mud guard on your Z10 ? Or leave it off for better look ?

SanDiegoGuy

I am debating whether I should put on the mud guard for the Z10.  In my opinion, putting the mud guard would worsen the Z10's good look because the view of the tire from behind make it looks cool like Batman's tumbler.  I do not ride off road much so I don't think I would need the mud guard as often.

How many of you Z10 owners have the mud guard on your wheel?

I will install the lift handle though because the Z10 is too heavy to carry it around, even for short distance.

Yes, this is the preferred configuration for the Z by most owners.

My mudguard is on, but I'm contemplating taking it off (for, as you say, the aesthetics) and trying to utilize the 2 screw holes near the taillight for a DIY, soft mudguard solution.

If You want to use Z10 as the practical mode of transport - mud guard is really necessary. A few main reasons:

1. Tire is wide and it brings up a lot of dust - You, and also the wheel will be all dirty after each ride (but if You like to clean the wheel - that is fine of course)

2. I case of any rain - wheel without the mudguard means that You will have your all back dirty and wet (but of course You may be ready to get dirty, it or just take Uber home)

3. If You are going to install the handle - please note that if it gets dust inside it will soon start to move with problems and get stuck. It is very difficult to clean those connecting parts inside (I confirm that it is the problem even WITH mudguard)

6 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

If You want to use Z10 as the practical mode of transport - mud guard is really necessary. A few main reasons:

1. Tire is wide and it brings up a lot of dust - You, and also the wheel will be all dirty after each ride (but if You like to clen the wheel - that is fine of course)

2. I case of any rain - wheel without the mudguard means that You will have your all back dirty and wet (but of course You may be ready to get dirty, it or just take Uber home)

3. If You are going to install the handle - please notice that if it gets dust inside it will soon start to move with problems and get stuck. It is very difficult to clean those connecting parts inside (I confirm that it is the problem even WITH mudguard)

I know about points 1 and 2 but never thought about point 3.  You have a good 3rd point so I guess I will install the mud guard.

9 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, this is the preferred configuration for the Z by most owners.

My mudguard is on, but I'm contemplating taking it off (for, as you say, the aesthetics) and trying to utilize the 2 screw holes near the taillight for a DIY, soft mudguard solution.

Hope someone will come up with a soft mud guard that is pleasant looking.

15 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Just cut the mud guard in half and you’ll have best of both worlds...protection and aesthetics. 

30436550488_2f7ef722e3_b.jpg

Oohhh nice.  Now the problem is....how do I cut it without ruining it?

Do I just use the good old sharp scissors ?

1 minute ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Just cut the mud guard in half and you’ll have best of both worlds...protection and aesthetics. 

Just before the cutting process order the next brand new mud guard as the replacement. Even full length mudguard does not offer enough protection and retractable handle will get dusty and stuck.  

After doing a fair amount of riding sans the mudguard, I installed it, with the handle.

The wheel looks great without everything, but it's just too practical to live without. I use the trolley handle all the time and the mudguard keeps all the dust, dirt, mud, and water off your clothes and the rest of the wheel. Even if you don't ride through periodic puddles, that fat wheel can throw an amazing amount of dust up and all over the place.

The wheel still looks rather nice with everything attached, IMO.

10 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Oohhh nice.  Now the problem is....how do I cut it without ruining it?

Do I just use the good old sharp scissors ?

You can easily use tin snips and then finish the guard with a belt sander. I work with plastic daily so be careful during the process if you decide to perform tbe mod.

10 hours ago, Lukasz said:

Just before the cutting process order the next brand new mud guard as the replacement. Even full length mudguard does not offer enough protection and retractable handle will get dusty and stuck.  

Yes dust lodged inside the retractable telescopic handle can be an issue. I spray the telescopic channels with dry silicone to hopefully prevent future sticking. I’m considering fabricating 2 rubber boots to go over the channels to prevent dust from collecting inside.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The wheel looks great without everything, but it's just too practical to live without. I use the trolley handle all the time and the mudguard keeps all the dust, dirt, mud, and water off your clothes and the rest of the wheel. Even if you don't ride through periodic puddles, that fat wheel can throw an amazing amount of dust up and all over the place.

The wheel still looks rather nice with everything attached, IMO.

I agree that my mod of shortening the mudguard will increase the amount of dust and mud kick up. I rarely ride though mud but I did collect a great deal of dust over the weekend. On the positive side spraying beneath the guard with hose to keep things clean is easier. 

off for me, I love the exposed wheel look.

The other thing I like is that it keeps most of the wheelwell area exposed, I always feel like wheels that are mostly encased (like my i5) would have a lot of stuff build up in the wheelwell that would be difficult to remove.

Archived