Popular Post Bob Eisenman Posted October 16, 2018 Popular Post Share Posted October 16, 2018 (edited) Don't laugh!! So.... I bought a new shell/handle/lights/charge port assembly from Jason and replaced the old blue'ish case with a new red one . Gorilla tape seals the battery compartment from rain water and holds foam padding in place where power off rolling causes contact of either the headlight or tail light to the ground. Following the shell replacement and creative repair approach I went for a good test ride. The old case with 8,000+ km had developed a huge crack along the shell mounting post area where the bolts are located. At this link are some of my pictures from my newbie process experience of undoing the parts/plugs glued to the control board. (random pictures and wire labeling schemes to assist in reassembly): https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1UU_yDokcI-rdVE1J482doEfDGw6-ERBG I discovered several other issues with the Monster as summarized here: ********Start repair notes***** Gotway Shell replacement observations and remedies: 1-one motor bullet connection (plastic case) had overheat damage to the plastic case. Removed fused plastic, bullet connector is ok, placed heat shrink tubing over the bullet connector. Connector is located in 'free space ' between the axle and the control board. 2-the right aluminum pedal upright shaft is turned slightly (from impact damage) giving the case a right shell/left shell misalignment to the aluminum columns. Each shell half was applied separately after shimming the control board side mount bolts. After shims added (with shell bolted) Before shims added (with shell bolted) Shims were used (experimental remedy) to correct the case alignment underneath where the shell bolts to the fixed pedal attachment column which extends from the axle to the pedal bolt. Skewed pedal in folded up position including shim correction for proper case mating with the tire and opposite shell handle: The axle (where the pedal column mount shaft attaches) may be bent since the aluminum column pedal shaft looks ok. Probably 'Gotway Dance’ impacts from a few bad dismounts, especially the broken pedal crash. 3-The rubbery silicon putty which was removed to disconnect the various plug was NOT replaced with new adhesive. These plugs with clip in type connectors hold in place ok without the adhesive. 4-the Monster axle shims on the MoBo (right) side now have a distinct looseness felt also seen as extra pedal/axle rotation flex. The shims on the other side have some play too. Replacing the shell with a new one containing all intact plastic screw mount posts and no shell-pedal column area cracks has accented the riders feel of axle shim looseness. Perhaps whatever the shim presses against in the axle is also deformed slightly. 5-battery cells have NOT charged (consistently) to 100% charge capacity since mid summer. One or more cells in one or both of the two 800 WHr battery packs is suspected. a-battery charged to about 78% 10-14-18 b-battery charged to about 77% 10-15-28 Edited October 16, 2018 by Bob Eisenman 3 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.