Jump to content

Msuper x charging issues.


Recommended Posts

I got my wheel on monday. Charged it or at least i think i did. Battery is still at 13%. The charger light stays green, no matter if i plug the wheel in or not. 

Do i need a new charger or is there something wrong with the wheel? :-/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rhada said:

I got my wheel on monday. Charged it or at least i think i did. Battery is still at 13%. The charger light stays green, no matter if i plug the wheel in or not. 

Do i need a new charger or is there something wrong with the wheel? :-/

Are you sure the battery is connected internally?  I purchased from ewheels and I had to open up the wheel and connect the batteries.  This was a safety precaution since there was a Kingsong that turned on in shipment and burned out a board.  Not sure if that’s your issue or not.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Are you sure the battery is connected internally?  I purchased from ewheels and I had to open up the wheel and connect the batteries.  This was a safety precaution since there was a Kingsong that turned on in shipment and burned out a board.  Not sure if that’s your issue or not.

Yip, as nothing happens when the charger is plugged in, obiously the batterys are not connected to the charge port!

Perhaps someon has forgotten to do this plugs in?

Or the charger is dead....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rhada said:

I got my wheel on monday. Charged it or at least i think i did. Battery is still at 13%. The charger light stays green, no matter if i plug the wheel in or not. 

Do i need a new charger or is there something wrong with the wheel? :-/

I had an early 'failure' on one of my Gotway wheels where it wouldn't charge. Identical symptoms as you. When I opened the wheel I discovered that one of the wires to the charge port had come loose (poor solder job by Gotway). I'm sure your case is similar. You'll have to open the wheel and trace the wires from the charge port to the batteries. Or see your dealer.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I opened the wheel, tried to check the connections. 
I disconnected the yellow connector, turned the wheel on to empty the capacitors, but when i disconnected the other yellow connectors (the side without the motherboard) I got a Shortcut and that burned that connector :-(.

I'll replace that connector, but for now i let the wheel be until i get more information. :-( Feel really crap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rhada said:

I opened the wheel, tried to check the connections. 
I disconnected the yellow connector, turned the wheel on to empty the capacitors, but when i disconnected the other yellow connectors (the side without the motherboard) I got a Shortcut and that burned that connector :-(.

I'll replace that connector, but for now i let the wheel be until i get more information. :-( Feel really crap.

I've never heard of a case where disconnecting the battery connectors causes a problem. You said this happened on the non-control board side of the wheel. This makes me think that the two battery packs were not at the same charge level, which should never happen. If you measure the voltage from both battery packs they should be the same within a fraction of a volt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been in contact with the seller. Going to check all batteries, charging port and charger with a multimeter after work.

Will have to change the yellow connector, since that one is clearly toast. 

 

2018-08-09 15.00.35.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I checked the voltage with a multimeter. Both batteries gave me 69.3 to 69.4V both fluctuate around that number. which does not explain why that yellow connector sparked and short circuited. 
The disconnected motherboard gave me 15V and 13V the second time. 

The charger gave me nothing. (the socket gave 222V to 224V which is normal voltage in Europe) But the 4 point charger I can not get a reading. The multimeter stays at 0.00, no matter what combination of points i try. 

Can I temporarily replace the burned yellow connector with a screw terminal to reconnect the battery? 

well, actually without a working charger, i can't drive anyway...  :-/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rhada said:

I checked the voltage with a multimeter. Both batteries gave me 69.3 to 69.4V both fluctuate around that number. which does not explain why that yellow connector sparked and short circuited. 
The disconnected motherboard gave me 15V and 13V the second time. 

The charger gave me nothing. (the socket gave 222V to 224V which is normal voltage in Europe) But the 4 point charger I can not get a reading. The multimeter stays at 0.00, no matter what combination of points i try. 

Can I temporarily replace the burned yellow connector with a screw terminal to reconnect the battery? 

well, actually without a working charger, i can't drive anyway...  :-/

You certainly don't have to use those battery connectors. They are a convenience, that's all.

But you are right, you need a new charger. If we lived close I'd give you one of mine - an advantage of owning multiple wheels, you have many more than you need. Hope you can get another charger quickly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rhada said:

Been in contact with the seller. Going to check all batteries, charging port and charger with a multimeter after work.

Will have to change the yellow connector, since that one is clearly toast. 

 

2018-08-09 15.00.35.jpg

Hopefully!!! you did not have destroyed your BMS......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, US69 said:

Hopefully!!! you did not have destroyed your BMS......

Would i still get a voltage if those got damaged? 

I didn't get why they sparked, they're in a protective casing that prevent you from connecting them the wrong way. :-/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rhada said:

Would i still get a voltage if those got damaged? 

I didn't get why they sparked, they're in a protective casing that prevent you from connecting them the wrong way. :-/

 

They had a different voltage...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Rhada said:

Well, they both fluctuated within 69.3 and 69.4, the spark i got was not 0.1V. I might be wrong, i'm not an electrician at all.

Where did you disconnect...on the first yellow plug thats coming from the board? or first disconnect one pack from another.

problem is the capacitors are drwaing power from the battery...even in a case of a disconnect in can come to major sparks...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, US69 said:

Where did you disconnect...on the first yellow plug thats coming from the board? or first disconnect one pack from another.

problem is the capacitors are drwaing power from the battery...even in a case of a disconnect in can come to major sparks...

I disconnected the motherboard first: no issues. 

The spark came when i disconnected the battery pack opposite of the motherboard, so they were in not linked to the capacitors. Just the left and right battery pack. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rhada said:

I disconnected the motherboard first: no issues. 

The spark came when i disconnected the battery pack opposite of the motherboard, so they were in not linked to the capacitors. Just the left and right battery pack. 

Thats harsh...i would have said thats -near to correct- but: as these packs are still connected by charging cables and balancer cable you never know :-(

Correct in my view: Diconnect both  from motherboard, disconnect the charge cable between the packs, diconnect balancer cable between the packs, then disconnect between the both packs....and vice versa when reconnecting....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, US69 said:

 

Correct in my view: Diconnect both  from motherboard, disconnect the charge cable between the packs, diconnect balancer cable between the packs, then disconnect between the both packs....and vice versa when reconnecting....

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind when i reassemble it tomorrow, not in the mood to do any fuck ups tonight :-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rhada said:

Been in contact with the seller. Going to check all batteries, charging port and charger with a multimeter after work.

Will have to change the yellow connector, since that one is clearly toast. 

 

2018-08-09 15.00.35.jpg

Hopefully it's only the connectors damaged and they can be replaced. When this happened to me with my Monster both batteries were damaged and needed replacing. I could only replace one at the price of them :( I think my problem was that when the connectors arced and melted bis dropped onto the batteries and burned through.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, US69 said:

Thats harsh...i would have said thats -near to correct- but: as these packs are still connected by charging cables and balancer cable you never know :-(

Correct in my view: Diconnect both  from motherboard, disconnect the charge cable between the packs, diconnect balancer cable between the packs, then disconnect between the both packs....and vice versa when reconnecting....

This is a common problem that people seem to run into. There are all kinds of answers to this connection/disconnection sparking issues. It would be good if someone would make an authoritative video on step by step procedure to do this safely both disconnection and connection. Is it possible to get official procedure from manufacturers themselves ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if those anti-spark XT60/XT90 connectors might have helped in this situation?  Usually they prevent sparks when connecting lines together, but in this case it sounds like the spark occurred while disconnecting which is weird.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/10/29/xt60-xt90-with-spark-arrestors-why-you-should-make-the-switch/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...