Night rides

Mark Lee

Have you done any offroad/dirt riding with this light? I’ve got the same setup as you (ACM2 1600 + that headlamp) and it seems like the light is so bright it gives a sort of cloudy effect due to all the dust in the air! This isn’t really a problem since I can still see well and the light works great on roads, it’s just something I noticed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael Vu said:

The other big thing why I like this light is the 360 degree mount that makes it possible to simply mount this light to any EUC handle. Most other typical Bike light mounts are made to only go on a horizontal quarter-inch diameter cylinder.

EDC style flashlights/torches are probably safe bets if you want a nice, bright beam. I got something similar (focusing more on battery over brightness). Also, lots of options to mount on wheel (e.g. add-on 360 degree mount).

(Example: https://www.amazon.com/Foxnovo-Universal-90-degree-Handlebar-Flashlight/dp/B00U5PX0QG/ )

As for the brightest light possible... the DX80 seems a bit pricey, but I think I found a DIY project that can accomplish the same effect. :eff05cf9bc:

Spoiler

landscape-1467209950-lazy.gif

• Like 1

On 7/20/2018 at 2:29 PM, Nick McCutcheon said:

Have you done any offroad/dirt riding with this light? I’ve got the same setup as you (ACM2 1600 + that headlamp) and it seems like the light is so bright it gives a sort of cloudy effect due to all the dust in the air! This isn’t really a problem since I can still see well and the light works great on roads, it’s just something I noticed.

Question is who's dust could you possibly be eating when you are on ACM2? :laughbounce2:  As for offroading that's negative.  I ride around my neighborhood as I've posted, no offroad trails near by.  I ride to increase my endurance, my limiting factor now is my knees.  Hopefully my knees will get better like my feet did. 

One recommendation for riding at night is eye protection.  As I ride I'm hitting some big bugs at 20mph+  getting hit by a bug in the eye could throw me off, my glasses shielded some big ones... :cry2:

This headlight have an adjustment for width of the beam, by increasing the width of the beam on medium setting you can dilute the intensity of the beam.  This may help.  :cheers:

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

Question is who's dust could you possibly be eating when you are on ACM2? :blink1:  As for offroading that's negative.  I ride around my neighborhood as I've posted, no offroad trails near by.  I ride to increase my endurance, my limiting factor now is my knees.  Hopefully my knees will get better like my feet did.  One recommendation for riding at night is eye protection.  As I ride I'm hitting some big bugs at 20mph+  getting hit by a bug in the eye could throw me off, my glasses shielded some big ones... :cry2:

This headlight have an adjustment for width of the beam, by increasing the width of the beam on medium setting you can dilute the intensity of the beam.  This may help.  :cheers:

I just got back from a ride on that same dusty path, I think it’s because it doesn’t show the shadows I’m used to seeing from having the EUC light so low to the ground. If I turn on the EUC light and set the light to its widest spread/point it a bit further, everything looks great. 

Also, everyone seems to say the gotway light is better but still not good for night riding, but I’m able to get up to a decent speed just using that light. Although the headlamp lets me reach daytime speeds ? I usually keep the gotway light off unless I’m doing those dusty trails I mentioned earlier though, because I noticed it points basically straight ahead, which could annoy cars/pedestrians.

I’ll look into glasses! I’ve got a helmet with clear visor that’s coming in tomorrow to match the safety of my new pro-tec pad set (thanks @Marty Backe for the recommendation, they work great and feel very substantial) and hopefully the visor will minimize bug troubles. 

Edited by Nick McCutcheon
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

I just got back from a ride on that same dusty path, I think it’s because it doesn’t show the shadows I’m used to seeing from having the EUC light so low to the ground. If I turn on the EUC light and set the light to its widest spread/point it a bit further, everything looks great. 

Also, everyone seems to say the gotway light is better but still not good for night riding, but I’m able to get up to a decent speed just using that light. Although the headlamp lets me reach daytime speeds ? I usually keep the gotway light off unless I’m doing those dusty trails I mentioned earlier though, because I noticed it points basically straight ahead, which could annoy cars/pedestrians.

I’ll look into glasses! I’ve got a helmet with clear visor that’s coming in tomorrow to match the safety of my new pro-tec pad set (thanks @Marty Backe for the recommendation, they work great and feel very substantial) and hopefully the visor will minimize bug troubles. 

You should try riding the older Gotway wheels at night :crying:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Take a look at the glasses that I've been using (listed in my gear list on YouTube). For ~$17 they are very good. I've been using them for a few months on just about every ride. @maltocs tried them but apparently they didn't fit his head so great (let in too much wind). So YMMV.

• Like 2

my cousin just got his segway mini pro and we both did some early evening riding in the large park on the grass.  wow, its kinda cool using our headlights and gliding along quietly.  i can see why the night riding is so interesting.  of course,  we had some storm clouds with lightning in the background come up on us, so we had to pack up and call it a night.  cant wait for the next evening we stay late at the local park.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

With the clocks being turned back I’m definitely feeling the need for proper lighting here in the Northeast US. 

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with these?

https://knucklelights.com/?cmp_id=6477012853&adg_id=83332116408&kwd=&device=m&gclid=Cj0KCQiAno_uBRC1ARIsAB496IUXtFzU6r7WylmOjF03Ij_V877dqRE6UxAsKEqlMQBUHU_4giNDduMaAkSFEALw_wcB