Night rides

Mark Lee

If the light on the wheel is crap then fit a decent one down there too. The low beam parallel to the surface will light up the road but not have the angle to go down into dips and portholes leaving dark patches in the surface you can easily see and avoid. I have an 800 lumen lamp mounted down there that is perfect and has a nice long throw. I actually prefer night (dusk ideally) riding as a result.

Edited by WARPed1701D
  • Upvote 3

@novazeus do you do much night riding?  I would figured folks living in states like Florida, Texas and Arizona would ride a lot during the night.  For me it's a whole new adventure like night skiing. :D

• Like 1

i try to. if Bob doesn’t get to come with me, he complains alot, and he isn’t exactly the perfect wheel companion, yet. we still have work to do. i think we’ll get there.

this time of the year with frequent storms makes my road a little dangerous with limbs and branches falling and breaking all over the road, so night riding is a little spooky right now.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 10:28 PM, Mark Lee said:

As of late it's so hot around here over 100F.  Since Marty and the gang's video on night rides looked so much fun.  I've invested on 6,000w head lamp that fits around my helmet and turn the night to day.  Riding around the neighborhood with no traffic, great fun.  Nice thing about it is I can wear more protective gear, mesh motorcycle jacket and anything I want and still feel comfortable.  It's has been a whole new experience in EUC riding.  Does anyone else have tips and gear to share for night rides.

6,000w :shock2:  Link please :confused1:

52 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Brightest and Best LED Headlamp American Design 6000 Lumen flashlight-IMPROVED CREE LED Rechargeable 18650 headlight flashlights Waterproof Hard Hat Light Bright Head Lights Camping Running headlamps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074SH2KH7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qCqsBbVTYS0ZF

Sorry I guess it's 6000 lumen not watt.

Great. Thanks for think. 6000 lumen is amazingling bright. I just got a 900-lumen light and it's pretty impressive and not all that small. Hard to believe this actually puts out 6000.

But I may get it because I like the option of a helmet mount. So it will fit over a motorcycle type helmet?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Hard to believe this actually puts out 6000.

And you are probably right to be sceptical. Most light manufacturers put whatever they want on the box as there was no testing standard. Now companies can choose to certify to the ANSI/NEMA FL-1 standard. This is a pretty good description of it:

https://www.streamlight.com/docs/default-source/ansi-documents/ansi-pres.pdf?sfvrsn=2

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Great. Thanks for think. 6000 lumen is amazingling bright. I just got a 900-lumen light and it's pretty impressive and not all that small. Hard to believe this actually puts out 6000.

But I may get it because I like the option of a helmet mount. So it will fit over a motorcycle type helmet?

Haven't tried it on motorcycle helmet.  It fits fine on your gray skateboard  style helmet.  I'll try it tonight when I get off work and let you know.  You  can adjust the width of the beam. I've got it set up so beam is the width of the street.

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Haven't tried it on motorcycle helmet.  It fits fine on your gray skateboard  style helmet.  I'll try it tonight when I get off work and let you know.  You  can adjust the width of the beam. I've got it set up so beam is the width of the street.

That looks like a screaming deal, with the 18650 batteries and charger included.  Some of the reviews said that on the medium setting, they were getting up to 8 hrs battery life and plenty of light.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Lee said:

Thanks. I would probably primarily use it on my skateboard helmet. I would only be interested in using it at the 6000-lumen level. Hopefully I could get 2-hours at the level. Great price though.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. I would probably primarily us it on my skateboard helmet. I would only be interested in using it at the 6000-lumen level. Hopefully I could get 2-hours at the level. Great price though.

I got mine for under $20 last week.  I've also added 3000mah batteries.  It comes with 2200mah batteries. 

EBL 18650 Battery Lithium-ion 3000mAh 3.7V Low Self Discharge Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Counts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZPBHAK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YcssBb3JAB7MF

Great deal on these...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

To put that in perspective, the average car low-beam headlight is 700 lumens and the typical high-beam headlight is 1200 lumens.  So, this head lamp is like having 4 cars following you with their high beams on!  Crazy!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So it will fit over a motorcycle type helmet?

As it comes I would say Negative on motorcycle type helmet...  

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

That looks like a screaming deal, with the 18650 batteries and charger included.  Some of the reviews said that on the medium setting, they were getting up to 8 hrs battery life and plenty of light.

Also, beware of the "18650" batteries on these headlights. If they are real 18650's (and not complete fakes) they are usually poor quality knock-offs. Don't expect high-output or much longevity from one or two batteries running a headlight with multiple bright LEDs.

71PRdCaA3IL._SL1300_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/13/2018 at 4:20 PM, Charles McLean said:

To put that in perspective, the average car low-beam headlight is 700 lumens and the typical high-beam headlight is 1200 lumens.  So, this head lamp is like having 4 cars following you with their high beams on!  Crazy!

I can tell you there is no way this light puts out the light of 4 cars.  However this light puts out enough light to ride an EUC at the speed I would ride during the day.  For what it is, not a bad investment to open up more ride time during more pleasant temp and empty roads.  Safely. :cheers:

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2

i usually rode my motorcycles at night to and from the bars. 

less traffic and the lights made me more visible. 

i always liked riding at night better.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1