Chinese spam calls

gr8ps

So I received my first ever Chinese pre-recorded spam call on my cell. The timing coincides too closely to when I first registered my phone number with the Kingsong application. Given the sorry state of the app and the bottom of the barrel application developer they use, I would not be surprised if our registration information was sold to a third party. Anyone else receive Chinese spam calls that coincided with the official Kingsong app now requiring registration to unlock?

I've been getting calls with Chinese recordings lately...  I never put it together before, but I guess when I downloaded the KingSong app I gave up the ghost. ?

I received a call like this a couple weeks ago. I called the number back and it was some man out of Arizona. He said someone hijacked his number and had been using it to call people all over the world and he had been getting calls all week. But I did not use the KingSong app.

How's the GDPR -compliance with the KS app? ;) 

On a more serious note, any wheel company collecting ANY personal information (even an email address) of their users is setting themselves up to a whole heap of trouble, unless they follow the regulation. In case of a regulation breach, the fines can go up to tens of millions or percentage of annual worldwide turnover at maximum, whichever is higher.

Sounds like it may be just a coincidence but I still suspect Kingsong. I almost never give my personal details for apps but I felt I had to in order to fully utilize a $1,400 wheel I paid for. I did not appreciate the app being held hostage to registration that required personal information. I was wary about providing the information and I still think I probably shouldn't have provided a real number. However, the email registration wasn't working when I tried. Ah well. 

• 2 weeks later...

The KS app sends a confirmation code by SMS to your phone number, so unfortunately the number must be in use and able to receive SMS. The e-mail registration would've been so much better. Luckily, no Chinese spam calls for me so far, and I registered when the new app was still new.

Archived