"Safety Protector" included with KS16S purchase

brianle

I post this on the theory that someone else might be puzzled too (I'm happy to admit when I'm ignorant :-)).

Shortly following the shipment of my new KS16S, eWheels sent me separately a set of wrist braces along with a package labelled mostly in Chinese but including the English words "Safety Protector".  This consists of a roll of flat rubbery stuff, well, flat on one side and on the not-so-flat on the other, that's 80 mm (about 3") wide, 8 mm thick (about 1/3 inch), and 2 meters long (6.6 feet).  Included is a roll of "safety tape".  Pictures on the packaging appear to show it being installed in various ways, for example, to protect the corners of something, so it's generic stuff, not designed specifically for an EUC.

I presume the intent is that I attach this stuff somehow to my KS16S body, perhaps temporarily (?) on the theory that I might be learning how to ride and thus don't want to beat up the very nice looking exterior.  It doesn't strike me as stuff that's intended to remain long term on the machine.  But ... while this theory makes sense, I'm not certain, so just curious if I might be missing something here?

Ah, follow-up --- I poked around online and found an identical product on Amazon called "Table Wall Edge Protectors Foam Baby Safety Bumper Guard Protector".  FWIW.  So yup, I'm feeling even more certain that the intent is to protect the EUC body while someone is learning to ride, as I doubt this stuff would stay on well for an extended period, even if a person was okay with the look of that!

TIA.

Yes, EWheels does ship out a roll of this with their wheels. Many people like to pad up their wheels to keep them pristine, particularly during the learning phase. Do a Google image search on electric unicycles and you'll find lots of pictures with wheels covered in this stuff.

14 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Just be aware that the double sided tape is a pig to get off cleanly when you decide you no longer need it.

Exactly.

When I padded up my first wheel, I taped the padding onto the wheel with Low Residue Duct Tape (3M brand available from Home Depot). Basically a cheap version of Gaffers Tape. Strong tape but it leaves zero residue when removed.

Peanut butter is pretty good for getting stuff like that off, I find.  I'll eventually find something else to pad with this stuff, however.  I've minorly dropped the 16S a couple of times in the past few days, but am hoping for no major catastrophes. 

It does ride a little differently than my others; I have to sort of adapt back and forth to hop on (what traditional unicyclists, at least, call "quick start") as it's a bit different in that way from the much thinner IPS i5, but I expect I'll get so that I can adapt pretty quickly.              After, inevitably, a few embarrassing moments at busy street crossings.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hahaha, an EUC without scratches, that's a funny thought.  Luckily for me I had to jump off my wheel within about 15 minutes of riding it so I got those initial scratches out of the way right away.

I still need to fabricate silicone covers for both the Tesla and V10F. At least the pedals are done.  The problem is the silicone sheets are so expensive for the larger wheels.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:45 PM, Rehab1 said:

I still need to fabricate silicone covers for both the Tesla and V10F. At least the pedals are done.  The problem is the silicone sheets are so expensive for the larger wheels.

i just got my cover for my v10f and i’ve never seen the v8 cover but i think it’s made of the same material so covers sb available soon. i think u will like theirs.

We now have many brands of Label Off style products available in local stores. It is a must have for me, any tape residue won't be more than a few wipes to get off. Doesn't harm plastics, paint, or even wood. Makes me slightly amused to hear people avoiding some tapes because of residue...

Archived