Pebble App and Data Logger for King Song [RELEASED]

JumpMaster

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

I've pushed WheelLog 1.7 and Pebble app 1.3 to production.  Both can be downloaded from GitHub.

https://github.com/JumpMaster/WheelLogAndroid/releases/tag/1.7

I am waiting my Pebble 2. When it arrives, I want to find some time to test your app and do the Android code adaptation to work with MicroWorks 30B4 boards -- I think I have all the resources needed for this. I will then do a pull request.

Thanks a lot for this app, it's great !

I would even use it to log with GPS-data, but my Samsung S5 would be empty after an hour in this case  (since I upgraded it to Android 6, the power management is a nightmare, especially when GPS is on).

But even without that it's great - I wanted to add a request for enhancement (to expand and squeeze the diagram with 2 fingers), but then I saw that this already works. :-)

Thanks, and best regards, HtG

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Hello JumpMaster,

First : Thx you for your amazing app, work great. I use it almost every day :wub: with my KS-16B

In the csv file, can you fix the length of the gps data? To avoid that: (test with v1.7.1)

jql2is.jpg

It's just add 0 on the right if the length < 10 number. Can be tricky with the fucking point.

Also, will you add and option to log the gps data in a gpx file? It can be usefull to see the difference between speed and distance measured by the wheell and the gps data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format

If not, it's not bad, i will write some app to convert your csv in gpx. It's more for avoid useless work...

And finally, i have a moto360 and i have already compile your github code on local, so if you don't have time to make and app for android smartwatch, can i try something, based on your code?

I have no experience with android wear neither and i just wrote one android app for fun 5 years ago...

On 23 settembre 2016 at 10:57 AM, SiXP4cK said:

Hello JumpMaster,

First : Thx you for your amazing app, work great. I use it almost every day :wub: with my KS-16B

In the csv file, can you fix the length of the gps data? To avoid that: (test with v1.7.1)

jql2is.jpg

It's just add 0 on the right if the length < 10 number. Can be tricky with the fucking point.

Also, will you add and option to log the gps data in a gpx file? It can be usefull to see the difference between speed and distance measured by the wheell and the gps data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format

If not, it's not bad, i will write some app to convert your csv in gpx. It's more for avoid useless work...

And finally, i have a moto360 and i have already compile your github code on local, so if you don't have time to make and app for android smartwatch, can i try something, based on your code?

I have no experience with android wear neither and i just wrote one android app for fun 5 years ago...

Have a look at this

Hi jumpmaster,

if you have time, could you add in one of the next versions 2 additional fields: 

.) the average speed (like it is displayed in the Kingsong App),

.) the average speed without taking into consideration when the speed was zero and the wheel was turned off (avg speed without pauses).

These could be displayed under Top speed below.

Thanks for the App and your efforts!

Cheers, HtG

screenshot.jpg

18 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

the average speed (like it is displayed in the Kingsong App),

I think KS app simple calculate that's based on the trip time and distance.

To calculate the average speed without stops would require continuous calculations so might be a bit more coding to add that. Also - what's considered "zero" speed? 0.0 or anything lets say below 0.3 Km/h?

6 hours ago, HEC said:

I think KS app simple calculate that's based on the trip time and distance.

You may be right, but I'm not sure (because avg speed seems to be a lot more accurate than distance).  I miss this value, because I'm used to look at it from time to time when I used the Kingsong app, and it would be easy to add it to WheelLog, if you calculate it as mentioned by you above.

6 hours ago, HEC said:

To calculate the average speed without stops would require continuous calculations so might be a bit more coding to add that. Also - what's considered "zero" speed? 0.0 or anything lets say below 0.3 Km/h?

I would leave that to the fantasy/creativity of the App-creator (actually I wouldn't care if it is 0, 0.3 or something else senseful).

It's not that difficult to code, you would just need to add one variable, where you count the number of seconds, when the speed was zero or the wheel was turned off, and subtract it from trip time, then you can calculate it as you wrote above.

Cheers

I'm feeling a bit down-trodden by my failed attempt to add InMotion support.  So for a quick win I've added a second screen to the Pebble app that shows Ride Time, Distance, and Top Speed.  Both Android and Pebble apps have been published to Production.

https://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/application/5793c91150c75291fa00026e

Android version 1.8.  Pebble App version 1.4.

3 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

I'm feeling a bit down-trodden by my failed attempt to add InMotion support.  So for a quick win I've added a second screen to the Pebble app that shows Ride Time, Distance, and Top Speed.  Both Android and Pebble apps have been published to Production.

https://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/application/5793c91150c75291fa00026e

Android version 1.8.  Pebble App version 1.4.

Is there a means for us to donate to the cause - if nothing else to allow you to buy a beer or two on us ;-)   I really appreciate your work on these two apps. They have become indispensable during my Gotway and KingSong rides.

40 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Is there a means for us to donate to the cause - if nothing else to allow you to buy a beer or two on us ;-)   I really appreciate your work on these two apps. They have become indispensable during my Gotway and KingSong rides.

Hi @Marty Backe

That's great to hear! I think there's only 40 people using the Pebble App so it's good to hear feedback.

Regarding donations take a look at this post I made last week.

4 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

I'm feeling a bit down-trodden by my failed attempt to add InMotion support.

My apologies for venturing you into dark Inmotion waters ... :ph34r: 

I'm not sure what else to suggest / test but maybe leaving it to "ripe" a bit might bring some fresh ideas later on ...

1 hour ago, Hansolo said:

I had tested WheelLog 1.8 and Peeble application 1.4 this morning.

I can access to the second screen on my peeble but the value are always 0.

Android 6.0.1

I just installed the updates this evening (Android 5.1.1) and the new 2nd screen works perfectly for me (with my KS14C). Yea!

17 hours ago, Hansolo said:

Another test, it's working... Yeeesss

I try to be very efficient and only send the data that's required. So when changing screens on the watch it tells the phone what screen is displayed so it can send the relevant data. If the notification from the watch doesn't reach the phone the screen will not update. Switching back and forth should fix it. In testing (I've been using this version for a week prior to release) I didn't see that issue.

I don't check for errors when sending data from the watch as there's a bug in the Pebble firmware that won't be fixed the Pebble Time 2 is released in November. Once that's fixed I'll make it more robust so those odd occasions don't happen at all.

As my old wheel is not compatible with WheelLog, I had no tried until now...

Anyway, I just installed it on a round android watch just for a look!

Any chance to see a future version of WheelLog compatible with these so small screens, as it seems to  be (as often...) the only problem?

23160330288092201.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@JumpMaster

Really great work, your WheelLog app, still very much used and appreciated!

Two months ago, I wrote about looking into porting the Pebble part to a Samsung Gear S2 smartwatch. Well, I was able to set up the Tizen SDK, generated various certificates required to install apps on my Gear S2 (took me days because of a wrong, hidden permission setting), managed to connect my smart phone to the Gear S2 and also to compile your WheelLog in Android studio.

Now I would have "just" to recode the GUI in Tizen. However, this turned out to be a real challenge because 1) Tizen has a unique widget library which is not very intuitive and with lots of special commands and 2) an incredibly slow and fragile development cycle even if one uses the emulator. So, for the moment I abandon this project, also because (a) the intersection of KingSong KS16 riders, WheelLog users, Android smart phone and Gear S2 owners is probably - ONE (myself), and (b)  because I prefer to wear my smartphone strapped onto my left arm: the screen is bigger than on the watch, it fits well with the wrist protectors, I can feel the vibration speed alarm well, and (c) I can operate other apps like Music or Runtastic, and (d) the smart phone needs to be out of my pockets to receive GPS signals anyway. So all in all I am better off with just the Android WheelLog app and really have no need for an Tizen Gear S2 version. Maybe if more people would call for a Tizen version I could come back to this and perhaps development tools will also improve over time.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:13 PM, sbouju said:

Anyway, I just installed it on a round android watch just for a look!

Any chance to see a future version of WheelLog compatible with these so small screens, as it seems to  be (as often...) the only problem?

I second this as I'm currently lurking around purchasing Android watch with round 400x400 pixel screen. Maybe @JumpMaster will find some time to add option / selection for such screens? Would be a great help!

Archived