Pebble App and Data Logger for King Song [RELEASED]

JumpMaster

I've pushed version 1.3.4 and (inc. fixes) 1.3.5 to the beta channel with a new graph view.  It can be found on a new third tab.  It shows up to the last hour of current and speed data updated twice a second.  You can pinch to zoom and scroll around the graph.  I've found it a little hit and miss whether the tabs scroll while I'm trying to move around the graph.  Still it's better then not having the graph at all!  Speed is in white and uses the left axis.  Current is in orange on the right axis.

JpvIYEVl.png

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:05 PM, JumpMaster said:

I've pushed version 1.3.4 and (inc. fixes) 1.3.5 to the beta channel with a new graph view.  It can be found on a new third tab.  It shows up to the last hour of current and speed data updated twice a second.  You can pinch to zoom and scroll around the graph

Great addition. I've also noticed the decimal for speeds <10 km/h - thank you! If I may suggest two more options:

- In the settings screen to have an option to start the logging automatically with the app start

- for those using multiply wheels with your app an option to either have multiply profiles or for the app to try to connect to more (configurable?) last known wheels if possible

22 hours ago, Hansolo said:

Perhaps use the same color for the axes than the graph (speed axe in white, current axe in orange)

Tried it and it isn't legible.  I'll keep trying...

RgbkQUAl.png

11 hours ago, HEC said:

Great addition. I've also noticed the decimal for speeds <10 km/h - thank you! If I may suggest two more options:

- In the settings screen to have an option to start the logging automatically with the app start

- for those using multiply wheels with your app an option to either have multiply profiles or for the app to try to connect to more (configurable?) last known wheels if possible

Great idea for auto-logging.  Will look at adding that in the current beta.  Should it stop logging and start a new file on disconnect or only when the app closes?

I'm not sure what you mean about multiple wheels?  If someone had a KingSong and Gotway it should be possible to disconnect from one, reconnect to the other, and all fields should reset and carry on.  I haven't tested that though!

Great project, Jumpmaster!

Only problem is that I own a moto360. I would really love to see an app for android wear. I know you're busy working on a Pebble-app, still I hope to see a project for android wear in the future (don't want to push you though ;)). If I can help or you need funds for that project, I am verry willing to help you.

Thx!

9 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

Great idea for auto-logging.  Will look at adding that in the current beta.  Should it stop logging and start a new file on disconnect or only when the app closes?

I'm not sure what you mean about multiple wheels?  If someone had a KingSong and Gotway it should be possible to disconnect from one, reconnect to the other, and all fields should reset and carry on.  I haven't tested that though!

For the logging I'd say the most logical option would be to "pause" the log on disconnect / lost connection and to resume once reconnected. Of course additional setting option to control this behaviour is more universal solution.

In regards of the multiply wheels - it was meant if only one wheel is active (and you can have 2 wheels of the same make / model for example). As far as I was able to test so far app will automatically re-connect to the wheel it was connected last to so if you want it to connect to your second (third etc.) wheel you'd need to search for it again and select it from the list of found BT devices to connect. Then again when you want to go back to the first / other wheel you need to repeat the same procedure. So the idea was that app will remember the predefined (set in configuration) amount of wheels and try to connect to them in order as last seen avoiding thus need for a manual search each time you want to swap the wheels. Alternatively if this would be hard to implement or hinder dramatically the speed at which the wheel (re-)connects automatically having the multiply "profiles" which you'll be able to quickly select via one tap at corresponding button instead of searching for the devices would help as well. I do indeed understand that this is a low priority as there will be far less users with multiply wheels compatible (at least currently) with the app but it would be a nice addition once the list of the supported wheels will expand.

26 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

Just pushed 1.3.6 to beta with auto-logging ;)

Works great - thank you! One issue though (which was already present in previous version) is that if the wheel is powered off and on again (or loose the connection intermittently) it will now not reconnect automatically again and I need to tap the wheel connect icon twice to get it connected ...

EDIT:

It actually does reconnect in the end in both scenarios but takes about 22 - 25 seconds so I was a bit "impatient" to wait that long. Surprisingly upon app start it connects in just couple of seconds.

One other thing I've noticed is that app (or OS?) will prompt you if you'll allow it to activate the BT in case it's turned off. Is it possible to do so without prompt (maybe again based on settings option in app)? Or is it set in OS and can't be overridden? In theory it could also turn BT off upon exiting the app.

@HEC

Try waiting 30-60 seconds seconds for it to reconnect. I tested this before release as there was a bug where it would not show the disconnected icon even when it was trying to reconnect.

When it first connects it tries a direct connect. This times out after 10 seconds so isn't suitable for a reconnect. Instead it uses a passive scan and connect.  This type of connect does not timeout but is far slower.

The parameter is autoConnect in the below doc.
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/bluetooth/BluetoothDevice.html#connectGatt

1 minute ago, JumpMaster said:

@HEC

Try waiting 30-60 seconds seconds for it to reconnect. I tested this before release as there was a bug where it would not show the disconnected icon even when it was trying to reconnect.

I see - I've actually managed to "discover" this before your reply. So basically to avoid time out you either need to use the slower though not timing out scan or would need to "loop" the fast direct connect command option ... As long as we're aware of this it's fine. Maybe showing something like "connection lost at" or "connection lost xx seconds ago" might help? though flashing wheel icon is clear indication. What about an optional vibration and / or audible notification on connection and (most importantly) loss of the connection? I use the app with phone in the pocket or holder not actually watching the screen so Ill be unable to notice it during ride.

And speaking of vibration / audible warnings - I'm sure I'd be not alone in using configurable warnings for speed, battery level, current or temperature as sometimes on some wheels you can miss the audible warnings directly on the wheel in the noisy environment so having those "duplicated" or even more advanced via app on the phone attached to your body or connected to headphones would increase your security greatly.

1 hour ago, JumpMaster said:

1.3.7 is on the Play store with a speed alarm.  Let me know how it works.

Works perfect - great addition! Thanks. What about changing the colour of the km/h (or mph) to read if the alarm speed is reached?

In regards of the "Connection lost at xxx" message - can that be made dismissible? Sometimes I want to investigate the app screens with the wheel turned off but the bottom part is now covered permanently by the message. Alternatively adding an extra icon on the top (envelope) with the message counter so you can recall the app notifications there if needed ...

15 hours ago, HEC said:

Works perfect - great addition! Thanks. What about changing the colour of the km/h (or mph) to read if the alarm speed is reached?

In regards of the "Connection lost at xxx" message - can that be made dismissible? Sometimes I want to investigate the app screens with the wheel turned off but the bottom part is now covered permanently by the message. Alternatively adding an extra icon on the top (envelope) with the message counter so you can recall the app notifications there if needed ...

Thanks for your help @HEC

The speed text changes color when over the alarm speed and there is now an "OK" button to dismiss the notification.  I've pushed version 1.4.0 to beta which I'll promote to production tomorrow.

The next goal will be to add location data to the log files.  The app already has location permissions for Bluetooth LE scanning, so it makes sense to add it to the log.

Downloaded it and installed looks great, and with the future location infos in the the Log if I can create my gpx  tracks with WPs containing the wheel info, I'll have my gpsies.com tracks history. Thanks for your effort I appreciate it :) 

7 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

The speed text changes color when over the alarm speed and there is now an "OK" button to dismiss the notification.  I've pushed version 1.4.0 to beta which I'll promote to production tomorrow.

The next goal will be to add location data to the log files.  The app already has location permissions for Bluetooth LE scanning, so it makes sense to add it to the log.

All works fine - thanks again for you constant improvements of the app! Maybe it's time to add one more screens with app info / about like version, credits, current features to?

In regards of adding the location data to the log can that be made optional? Also last week I was actually thinking abut having another addition to the log though I was not entirely sure how exactly to implement that - having an option to press the button (either on screen or one of the selectable hardware buttons or using something like the one below or maybe one of the many BT remote buttons used for cameras and to trigger other actions) and log it as "push button" even to be able to mark some specific time or location events. Alternatively split the log to the new file at the time of pushing the button (but that's basically almost the same as pushing the log button twice).

wholesale-3-5mm-earphone-jack-smart-key- remote-2.png

@JumpMaster Ok I've got a 40minutes log for each second there are 10 records but in true it's 5 couples of duplicated data, but it can be easily filtered 

for the ampere values try a yellow warm color, yellow/black-dark is a good contrast, and a light cyan for speed

Very good job I like the look more than KS app, and the log! I can upload by VBA in Excel with graphs they'll go with my Diving logs :) 

7 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

@JumpMaster

I've also be following your latest developments and I am excited and thankful for your great work! I will try to investigate into programming Samsung Gear S2 smartwatch and if that's well documented maybe write an interface for that.

Except one application crash in v1.3x probably due to too large log file display everything seems stable and working.

Just one question: I only once saw the menu with the settings, possibly in version 1.32 (if I remember correctly there was only the choice of miles or km). Since then I have never seen the settings menu again. How do I access it? Or is it only working with a pebbles watch (which I don't have)? I have a KS16B on FW 1.18.

8 minutes ago, RenaissanceMan said:

I have also v1.4.0 and from the "0.0 km/h" screen I can drag right to left but not left to right. It looks like I'm already in the left-most screen. :(?!?

This appear when I drag my Thumb left right 

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, EricGhost said:

This appear when I drag my Thumb left right 

image.jpeg

Thanks a lot, @EricGhost, I tried different regions of the screen and when I swipe just from the left edge to the right I finally also get to the settings screen. To swipe to the left (for the data screen) also works if I start somewhere on the right side of the screen, it does not have to be from the right edge, and that's what I've been doing wrong all the time.

:)

Ok now that I have the log I would like to know the parameters limits of my KS16 680Wh for the cut off so that I can chart them and check my ride style, there is nothing I can do about electronic failure, bad soldering and so on, but I can control my behaviour.

So what shall I look to and how to calculate it, i.e. Power Peak ? 2200W or 2700W calculate how? Current, ? There is a 40A fuse but ...? And so on .... I would like to write a Excel VBA MACRO to upload the log and chart the params against the limits, like a safe curve in Diving :) 

9 hours ago, EricGhost said:

Ok now that I have the log I would like to know the parameters limits of my KS16 680Wh for the cut off so that I can chart them and check my ride style, there is nothing I can do about electronic failure, bad soldering and so on, but I can control my behaviour.

So what shall I look to and how to calculate it, i.e. Power Peak ? 2200W or 2700W calculate how? Current, ? There is a 40A fuse but ...? And so on .... I would like to write a Excel VBA MACRO to upload the log and chart the params against the limits, like a safe curve in Diving :) 

Momentary power can be simply calculated as current times voltage (I * U), although it won't tell the whole truth, as the motor control works by turning the mosfets on and off very rapidly (thousands of times per second), and without knowing the duty cycle and/or motor back-EMF, that simple calculation will give a larger value than reality (at least when it comes to actual motor output power). But it should give you at least a (theoretical) peak power -value that you can compare to when the wheel feels like (or is ;)) overpowered.

Archived