Pebble App and Data Logger for King Song [RELEASED]

JumpMaster

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, EricGhost said:

@JumpMaster are you working on the location data in the log ? I see you're focused on the gotway porting :( 

Gotway porting?  That's been done for a few week now! Yep I'm working on location logging.  It's complex due to permissions and whether the user has location turned on or off.  So although someone may have selected to log location using GPS, they may have disabled the location permission, disabled GPS within Android, or disabled location entirely within Android.  In which case I want to log data anyway and if the user has the app open (the app can be opened blind from a Pebble watch) let them know.  The permissions are a pain so I'm looking at third party libraries to keep the code clean. No point writing something that's been written by someone else far more skilled at programming than I!

I'm also working on Ninebot support although that's paused until I can borrow an Apple device.  It's more complex then Gotway and KingSong as they've based the communication on a serial interface.  Every variable has to be requested and include a checksum.  What a waste of data transfer!  Luckily 9BMetrics has a server mode where it acts like a wheel, making my testing much easier.

Adding logging support took a whole 30 minutes.  Making it fool proof is going to take a few more days :D

@EU GUY

Great to hear! :)

@EricGhost

I've just pushed 1.4.1 to the beta channel (awaiting approval) that adds optional location logging.  The permission system works well enough for beta.  As long as you don't disable location within Android or remove the location permission it will work.  It can either use network location based on GSM positioning or more accurate (and battery hungry) GPS positioning.

I've also pushed 1.4.0 to production!

@JumpMaster if you can check permissions by your app you can show messages to the user such as: "Warning your GPS is disabled", or "Warning you have Android positioning disabled" and so on so the user can know why is not logging postion.

To make the KS APP work I had to give archive and position permissions but thanks to this forum, otherwise I would still be thinking the app not working, no info from the app!

11 minutes ago, EU GUY said:

How correct is the speed and motor output?  As soon as i start to ride my acm the app shows 1000w. cant be right.. :) ?

They're as correct as reported by the wheel ;) App simply collect and display / log data send by wheel. There is indeed a chance that some wheels send some values in different format and needs some coefficient or calculation to show correct values.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 9:15 PM, JumpMaster said:

I've just pushed 1.4.1 to the beta channel (awaiting approval) that adds optional location logging.  The permission system works well enough for beta.  As long as you don't disable location within Android or remove the location permission it will work.  It can either use network location based on GSM positioning or more accurate (and battery hungry) GPS positioning.

I haven't tested the new version yet outside but I know that some other GPS logging apps have options to select slow or fast rate of GPS poling (or drive / walk & run modes) to be more precise at lower speeds. Do you know which mode are you currently using? Would it be possible to have this as an option as well? If not the fast rate / walk & run mode would be better as default IMO.

@HEC

In Android the developer can request a minimum update time and distance. The distance is set to 0 and the minimum update time is 100ms. Gotway and KingSong update every 100ms so I wanted the position to update reguarly too. Although not using GPS does result in far fewer updates.

@EU GUY

High wattage when starting to ride would be expected. Does it level out and only climb on acceleration?

1 hour ago, JumpMaster said:

In Android the developer can request a minimum update time and distance. The distance is set to 0 and the minimum update time is 100ms. Gotway and KingSong update every 100ms so I wanted the position to update reguarly too. Although not using GPS does result in far fewer updates.

That seems pretty fast / fine resolution for low speeds. I'll try to see how much more battery drain it will cause for the phone itself.

29 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

Possibly a little too fast but I wanted to start there.  According to the source the network provider will update at most every 45 seconds.  GPS on most phones is at 4Hz so should be 250ms at least.

Maybe configurable rate would improve battery life then ...

I'm not sure what mapping / GPS calculation libraries are available but apart of the full mapping using Google maps is there some simple way to just calculate distance based on GPS data? With current crappy / inflated distance calculations on KS wheels it would be a great addition / improvement.

Its on and off, buts it hovers at 1000/2000W when riding.
Just standing still and pressing down on the pedal with one foot without moving makes it draw over 1k W. :)

On 23 agosto 2016 at 9:33 AM, HEC said:

Maybe configurable rate would improve battery life then ...

I'm not sure what mapping / GPS calculation libraries are available but apart of the full mapping using Google maps is there some simple way to just calculate distance based on GPS data? With current crappy / inflated distance calculations on KS wheels it would be a great addition / improvement.

I did a 24km trip and generated a log file of 3.5MB with latitude & longitude in excel the formula I used, sa there is a lot of redundant data, 1rst checks if the sum of the absolute difference  in radians from N and N-1 row of data of lat&long is <10e-6 then distance to to add is zero, otherwise I used the "spherical law of cosines" see link 

http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

to calculate the distance N,N-1 to add, still I could not finish it and check it by comparing with my oruxmaps tracking

@JumpMaster, I must confess to not really following this thread as I have the older 1st gen KingSong which doesn't connect to the newer (this year) KingSong apps but does seem to have exactly the same protocol as the older Gotways.

Do you know if your pebble watch app will also work with the older KingSong and Gotway wheels - I would be more than happy to buy one if so? I would also be more than happy to pop up to Liverpool St on it, if it helps :-).

PS I did buy a No.1 D5 watch, but have been unable to get any Android Gotway or KingSong app to connect to the wheel, mainly, it appears, because I can't access the menu to connect. It's round face hides the ... Option and it has no button for it - very frustrating.

Sorry, looks like copy of this thread in Gotway is abandoned (and actually I own KS-16 and missed correct section when searching), i'm duplicating here.

Really great app, thanks. But I don't see options in app on my Galaxy Note 3 with Android 5.0. Is it possible to disable sound? I use wheel's beeper as a speedometer and do not need additional beeper.

23 hours ago, JumpMaster said:

The app doesn't have any sounds apart from the bell which can be triggered from a pebble. The wheel beeps whenever an app send a command and the app has to send two commands to request the serial number and name, firmware version, etc.

Well, I will re-check again then. Maybe it's some accidental sound of Urban Biker since I am using only these two apps.

Here is additional feedback:

1. Strangely Ride Time and Distance on the first screen shows me total riding time and distance, not for the current data from last activation. (KS-16, 1.20, Galaxy Note 3, Android 5.0)

2. My typical ride is 15 km and I get about 36000 entries. Maybe it will be good to add logging period since app graph (3rd screen) becomes very slow and not informative for this great amount of data. Or it will be good to add graph scaling.

3. Not able to open settings (release notes mentioned them)

Hi @lozga

1. The ride time resets when the app is closed by pressing the back key twice.  If the app has been exited the notification will not appear.
  2. You can pinch to zoom, scroll, and double click on the graph to move around.  When something odd has happened on my wheel I've been able to find the event. I've found it really useful.
  3. I'm not sure if this is an issue with certain phone. To open the setting menu start with you finger off of the screen to the left and swipe it to the right over the screen. As soon as the left most side of the screen is touched on my phone the settings menu opens.

@JumpMaster

Sound was from Urban Biker app, sorry.

1. Tried today. There was 0 ride time & distance when starting but after two hours (switching apps in phone, recording video, calling by phone) there was 29 hours and >400 km. Looks like correct data are switching to incorrect at some point.

2. Forgot to try today, will check

3. Thanks! Settings are opening. Small advice - make any indication of options in interface so it will be visible that they are present. I was pressing standard option phone hardware button (habit from other apps) with no result.

Hi all,

I've pushed version 1.4.5 to the beta channel.  The big new feature is automatic log uploading to Google Drive.  At the moment logs are placed straight into the root of Google Drive but in the future these will be placed into a WheelLog sub-folder.  I would really call this feature beta so feedback is appreciated.  Logs are uploaded when the logging service is stopped which also happens when exiting the app.

Kev

Alex Segmüller from EWheelMotion tried out the new Gotway MSuper v3 with your App. it seems that there are quite a few lag/connectivity issues with gotway and wheellog. e.g. at appx 0:30 the app hanged at 17km/h for quite some time but it seems to be more often when he tries to go over 35km/h. 

not sure if it helps you to see your app in action with a gotway. in the video hes just talking about the gotway as he borrowed the wheel & phone from someone for the testride.

https://www.facebook.com/DasElektrischeEinrad/videos/693637600786925/

Archived