Anybody Else Deal With Dizziness?

Esash

I have this, mostly in the winter time: 

Low blood pressure on standing up (orthostatic, or postural, hypotension).This is a sudden drop in blood pressure when you stand up from a sitting position or after lying down.

Gravity causes blood to pool in your legs when you stand. Ordinarily, your body compensates by increasing your heart rate and constricting blood vessels, thereby ensuring that enough blood returns to your brain.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/symptoms-causes/syc-20355465

Anybody else deal with dizziness from low blood pressure, low blood sugar, or medication? 

I eat very healthily, and skip meals/fast once in a while. I also probably have low sodium from my healthy diet. Skip a meal while having low sodium and low blood pressure in general causes dizziness when I stand up. It's not supposed to be a health concern in general, assuming one isn't riding a damn unicycle.

Anyway just wondering if anybody else deals with dizziness. I'm learning to ride my first wheel, and it can take 5-10 minutes of standing up and practicing with a hand on the wall before my balance is really confident. I suspect that this may be an ongoing issue even after I master riding the wheel. 

I'm considering ski poles as a safety precaution, especially after Rehab's accident. 

Or maybe something like this

round-walker-rwb-mothertouch-original-im

Ski poles are a good way to end up with an arm like Rehabs. That or poking out Old Misses Johnson’s eye while waving to her on the local path while passing. 

I think it’s a bad idea, but you can still do it if you want because I don’t decide for you. :)

23 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

Ski poles are a good way to end up with an arm like Rehabs. That or poking out Old Misses Johnson’s eye while waving to her on the local path while passing. 

I think it’s a bad idea, but you can still do it if you want because I don’t decide for you. :)

Thanks for responding. What about for winter riding, like today when it just snowed 12"? 

Please explain how injuries from ski poles occur, and how likely they are.

I'm starting to think my occasional dizziness won't be much of an issue, unless I was riding on crowded sidewalks in congested central areas. Cruising along straight with a turn here and there isn't hard, as I finally experienced today. It's just repeated mounting and dismounting and very slow speed and turns that demand a high level of balance.

22 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

One more thing. How healthy is it really to pass out everywhere? That doesn’t scream healthy to me at all.

I've never passed out, I just get dizzy sometimes when I stand up from low blood sugar/low blood pressure if/when I've skipped a meal. Maybe I should get it checked out though.

I dunno, in the snow would probably be ok because you'll be going so slow. Just imagine flying down the street at 25 mph and sticking your ski pole in a sewer grate. It'd rip your arm right off. Or what if it gets poked into some hole then goes diagonally across your body. You might end up Steve Irwining yourself as you flip over the pole and fly up into the air, only to land with the spike through your heart. Ya know, or somethin' :D

22 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I dunno, in the snow would probably be ok because you'll be going so slow. Just imagine flying down the street at 25 mph and sticking your ski pole in a sewer grate. It'd rip your arm right off. Or what if it gets poked into some hole then goes diagonally across your body. You might end up Steve Irwining yourself as you flip over the pole and fly up into the air, only to land with the spike through your heart. Ya know, or somethin' :D

Maybe I should skip the ski poles, start eating more salt and sugar, and stop being such a dizzy vegetarian 

2 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

But why mostly in wintertime?...  Have you checked the place out for carbon monoxide?  Does the central heating dry out the air and lull you into a state of mild dehydration? 

Very interesting theory, thanks

5 hours ago, kasenutty said:

One more thing. How healthy is it really to pass out everywhere? That doesn’t scream healthy to me at all.

Don't be too critical... Some people are just "cheap dates!".   ;) 

17 hours ago, IPS Malta said:

Salt and spicy food bro and pump up your blood pressure. A good diet is a balanced one that keeps you well. It's not about eating less but eating to what your energy requirements are

I agree, I always eat a healthy hearty meal before I go on a Trail ride.

You burn a lot of energy even though you are just standing.

You leg muscles are constantly working to keep you balanced and in control which burns calories.

Now one thing, I am a Diabetic Type 1 so I shoot insulin everyday which makes the need for me to eat properly even more imperative.

Back in Sept I was riding my ACM down the forest trails and I became Hypoglycemic or Low Blood Sugar.

This made me weak, dizzy, uncoordinated, and generally mentally deprived.

I wound up taking 3 major spills which caused me long term injury to my left elbow tendons.

So a person like you Scouts with Low Blood pressure or sugar, you must be cautious and aware of yourself so you don't have an episode

like I had and perhaps fall and get injured.

Trust me dizzy is NO GOOD for EUC's!

40 minutes ago, Steven D Wheeler said:

I agree, I always eat a healthy hearty meal before I go on a Trail ride.

You burn a lot of energy even though you are just standing.

You leg muscles are constantly working to keep you balanced and in control which burns calories.

Now one thing, I am a Diabetic Type 1 so I shoot insulin everyday which makes the need for me to eat properly even more imperative.

Back in Sept I was riding my ACM down the forest trails and I became Hypoglycemic or Low Blood Sugar.

This made me weak, dizzy, uncoordinated, and generally mentally deprived.

I wound up taking 3 major spills which caused me long term injury to my left elbow tendons.

So a person like you Scouts with Low Blood pressure or sugar, you must be cautious and aware of yourself so you don't have an episode

like I had and perhaps fall and get injured.

Trust me dizzy is NO GOOD for EUC's!

Thanks Steven. I'm starting to regret my choice of a 14" wheel vs something bigger and less twitchy. But it will be a great challenge, I suppose.

40 minutes ago, Steven D Wheeler said:

On 2/7/2018 at 8:29 PM, Biped Phil said:

But why mostly in wintertime?...  Have you checked the place out for carbon monoxide?  Does the central heating dry out the air and lull you into a state of mild dehydration? 

Thanks again Biped Phil, I think you nailed it with the dehydration. I keep the thermostat at around 74-75 degrees F in the winter, so I'm probably getting lots of that warm dry air dehydrating me.

Archived