How steep can your euc climb?

Paddylaz

Friends of mine discovered a deserted military test ground in the former East Germany (52°05'38.8"N 13°24'47.1"E alternatively 52.094103, 13.413080).

Window.thumb.png.a07d77d8a8ff851fbd4d4e1

They also shot a video testing a Rockwheel up to 25% incline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rVIwLj6aiw

The video gives a good impression, what those harmless sounding percentages actually look and feel like. With 20% or steeper, I am afraid it doesn't matter anymore, whether the motor on a loose wheel shuts off or stays on - anything with a round shape in an unlucky angle can dash down the ramp and pick up enormous speed from pure gravity. I cannot envision anything but a strong rope to prevent that.

Anybody volunteering an EUC for testing? 

With 20% or steeper, I am afraid it doesn't matter anymore, whether the motor on a loose wheel shuts off or stays on - anything with a round shape in an unlucky angle can dash down the ramp and pick up enormous speed from pure gravity.

That actually makes me wonder if the "tower"-shape of the 18" Kingsong could be the safest wheel in that regard:

KingSong18_inch_black.500.jpg

Although it still might start rolling given enough speed...

Although I don't personally perceive a large problem here there is a simple solution.

The nylon cords on spring reels that you can get to fit your key ring to your belt would both remove any danger of slack cord getting caught in the wheel whilst simultaneously letting the wheel get clear of tour legs whilst restraining g it and toppling off it's balance so it can't roll off.

The leash thing works on so many devices already, snowmobiles, jet-skis, surfboards, snowboards. I guess something like this will be established once the marketbase grows and regulations are made. I would like to have a leash on my leg that plugs into the wheel and acts as a power button. Leash plugged in, ready to ride. Plug out and carry it

It's good to see some discussion over the safety of these EUC's around steep hills. 

Watch the outtake around 7:21:

Now imagine a small family with kids down at the bottom in the parking lot minding their own business...

I guess the tether idea would be hazardous if one were to accidentally plunge into a lake or pool with the wheel attached.  It would act like a 30 pound cement block dragging you down to the bottom.  Maybe add in a quick release on that Batman spring loaded cable tether, and now we be talking! 

Thats what I was trying to say with the plug. It comes off with some force and thus cuts the power. You also dont want a 30pound object leashed to your leg coming for you when you take a faceplant.

The leash thing works on so many devices already, snowmobiles, jet-skis, surfboards, snowboards. I guess something like this will be established once the marketbase grows and regulations are made. I would like to have a leash on my leg that plugs into the wheel and acts as a power button. 

The power button should not work while the wheel is upright and moving (and I believe on my wheel it doesn't). A wheel should never, ever, turn off while it is upright and moving. Never. Ever. Not if you push the power button, not if you go beyond the speed limit, not if the leash disconnects. Never. 

What a disconnected leash, or a weight sensor, could do is reduce speed and come to a halt. 

Archived