First time, need tip

vido

for turning lightly, you can twist your shoulders in the direction you want and let the legs with the bot follow.
Dont try to counterbalance it, the bot is made for doing that for you. Stand on it like you would on the floor of a moving bus.
If the battery runs out the bot will slow you down by lifting your toes. It will not cut power under you. You can check the battery level, looking at the LEDs when the bot stands still. They go from full green to empty red.
It will stop charging when at 100% and the led on the PSU will switch from red (charging) to green (idle)

Nice work!

I trained getting better at turning by riding figure-8 on my trainingspot. Start with a big 8 in the beginning, get smaller and smaller as you get the hang of it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that soon.  

• 5 weeks later...

The hardest part is getting on and starting with it, so practice that the most, what helps me a lot is pushing it and leaning forward a bit when getting on, just like with a bicycle when u start at a green light.  If you got some speed, balancing is easy. I just taught my daughter to ride a bicycle, balancing is easy once u have speed   

I live near a playground an just yesterday i let my friends and my kids' friends try it, the kids were able to ride for up to 10 metres after 2 tries, so yes, kids learn easier, this is mainly due to the fact that they are fearless.   

When i got my Wheel, i spent a full hour near a fence getting on and off the Ninebot and actually "training" it, each time going 5 metres, braking, then stepping off.  
After an hour i decided it was time to start riding as long as possible without stepping off, and i actually did a long run with it, reaching max speed etc, i think i went for 15 mins without stepping off once (it was 23pm so not much traffic) .   

Key is to conquer your fear and learning to trust the wheel, i'm now doing some small jumps on and off curbs, not because i'm a stuntman but because it's useful in traffic.  I also tried tunnels and bridges and those are extremely easy.  I tried some low stairs and that was quite easy too.  When jumping, sometimes my feet get relocated on the pedals, i just attached some skateboard deck grip sticker on them, did not try it yet though. 

I like placing my feet as close as possible to the wheel itself, for better grip and easier placement, can also "hold" the wheel when jumping then.  

When losing balance, u actually have to point the wheel to where you're falling, it will then rev up and balance you again.  

All in all, great fun, worthwhile. 

Bwuce

Thanks for all the replies! Yea,  I never had trouble learning a bike but this is on some next level hardness. I've been practicing by touching a wall lightly when needed. I try to pick momentum up to keep going forward but I'm always falling to the side. Barely could go 3 inches before I have to touch the wall. Is your leg against the sides or not touching? Your feet should be perfectly in the middle? Toes pointing  straight, outward,  or inner? What's the setting you guys use in the app, riding mode 0—9 the default on mine was 3. Lastly how long did it take for you guys to learn? 

riding slow is harder than riding medium or fast. You gotta go outside and find an open parking lot and just go for it.  I remember sucking hard core trying to learn it in my apartment hallways. Go outside and just accept the fact you're going to crash and scratch it. Your hallway carpet could be messing with you too. the carpet at my job is terriiiibbbllle for riding.

I agree. With not enough space, you stop progressing after the first hour because you can not get speed. In order to avoid scratching my wheel, I bought low cost stretchable alimentary film roll and wrapped the 9B1 almost completely with a very thick layer. It does not stick as usual protections so you can renew it as often as necessary.

What is strange is that I still have difficulties to ride on carpet because the wheel reactions are unusual (lateral drift).

there are a lot of tips in the ninebot section from other first timers, but here you have a short rundown:

• Put one leg on the bot and feel the engine working by rocking your toes and heels back and forth, you want to be able to control the bot this way in any situation. You can even push your toe down and try to circle the bot around you
  • Stand next to a wall to mount the bot and hold on to it to get a feel for the balancing mechanic
  • Move along the wall slowly try to balance yourself as much as possible
  • Use the wall to start off and get a feel for the ride, this is stil done in a small area of your choosing. I used my lawn to not scratch the bot too much.
  • Once you can ride a bit its time to start train the mounting without a wall. Theres mainly two methods, jump-on or skate-on. Jump on as it says you have one leg on the pedal and do a little jump and place your foot on the second pedal. As soon as you land lean forward and ride. Skate-on works having again one leg on the pedal, push the toes down to make the bot move, then hop on with your other leg.
  • Practice getting on and off the bot A LOT. Prepare to feel some pain on your lower legs, stop when it hurts too much and take it up the next day
  • Dont get frustrated, its like learning to ride a bike the first time. It takes some moments. But the reward is sweet, everyone in here will agree.
  • Dont go on public roads until you feel 100% confident riding with your bot. You dont wanna faceplant in front of traffic.
  • Dont use training wheels, straps or other helpers as they just prolong the learning phase, face it head on and be done with it quick.

Im sure if I forgot something others chime in to add their experience.

completely disagree with the strap, the rest it's sound advice.i poodle up moving off and going forwards in about 40 minutes slow speed turning followed by tiny turning I General its way trickier to learn for me. Stick with it I original poster it will just suddenly click.

completely disagree with the strap, the rest it's sound advice.i poodle up moving off and going forwards in about 40 minutes slow speed turning followed by tiny turning I General its way trickier to learn for me. Stick with it I original poster it will just suddenly click.

I think there's a difference between "Training straps" and what I would call "Retaining Straps" (a strap that keeps the EU from getting away from you and tumbling out of control and/or possibly hitting someone or something and doing damage to itself or other property.)  I think @Jag_Rip was referring to the "Training Strap"

Indeed, if you get used to lock in the wheel between your legs and the strap, you re-learn it again without it. Thats what I meant, since a big part of learning is to balance the bot just by the pedals.

A safety leash that wont let the wheel ride on when you fall off is not a strap you hold on to keep the bot in control.

Indeed, if you get used to lock in the wheel between your legs and the strap, you re-learn it again without it. Thats what I meant, since a big part of learning is to balance the bot just by the pedals.

A safety leash that wont let the wheel ride on when you fall off is not a strap you hold on to keep the bot in control.

Right.  We are saying the same thing.  And I agree that it's best to not use training wheels and training straps.

If I had used a retaining strap with my Huanxi H1, it would probably still be alive.  I had bailed on that thing a lot (like a LOT) and it went tumbling and careening into concrete walls many times as a result.  Definitely do not use a strap as a way to maintain balance, though; you're not doing yourself any favors that way.

I have an injured shoulder so have been going especially slowly to avoid any spills.

I'm finding that practising going as slowly as possible is really helping my control. B)

I agree with this.  Going slow can be quite a workout, too, as you must balance yourself more and not use simple momentum to assist in balancing.  Sometimes for short periods of time I will try to go as *absolutely* slowly as I can.  Sometimes it seems I can almost stop and then resume going forwards.  It is challenging and, I think, fun. 

Archived