First time, need tip

vido

Didn't think it was going to be this hard :o. Practice for an hour and didn't even got to move forward. Anyone have some pro tips that help them? Like foot placement etc. I was wondering if anyone else got "kenda" tires ; just got the ninebot e+ today. 

there are a lot of tips in the ninebot section from other first timers, but here you have a short rundown:

• Put one leg on the bot and feel the engine working by rocking your toes and heels back and forth, you want to be able to control the bot this way in any situation. You can even push your toe down and try to circle the bot around you
  • Stand next to a wall to mount the bot and hold on to it to get a feel for the balancing mechanic
  • Move along the wall slowly try to balance yourself as much as possible
  • Use the wall to start off and get a feel for the ride, this is stil done in a small area of your choosing. I used my lawn to not scratch the bot too much.
  • Once you can ride a bit its time to start train the mounting without a wall. Theres mainly two methods, jump-on or skate-on. Jump on as it says you have one leg on the pedal and do a little jump and place your foot on the second pedal. As soon as you land lean forward and ride. Skate-on works having again one leg on the pedal, push the toes down to make the bot move, then hop on with your other leg.
  • Practice getting on and off the bot A LOT. Prepare to feel some pain on your lower legs, stop when it hurts too much and take it up the next day
  • Dont get frustrated, its like learning to ride a bike the first time. It takes some moments. But the reward is sweet, everyone in here will agree.
  • Dont go on public roads until you feel 100% confident riding with your bot. You dont wanna faceplant in front of traffic.
  • Dont use training wheels, straps or other helpers as they just prolong the learning phase, face it head on and be done with it quick.

Im sure if I forgot something others chime in to add their experience.

If you got KENDA tires, you are one of the lucky ones.   There have been many reported troubles with the other brand.  Kenda is good. 

My CST tire will be just fine... as soon as I wear off about a 1/4" off tread.  :D

• Dont get frustrated, its like learning to ride a bike the first time. It takes some moments. But the reward is sweet, everyone in here will agree.

I've got to disagree on this one.  At least for me.  It's harder than learning to ride a bike.   Unless it's because I was a kid when I learned to ride a bike (and I'm no kid anymore).    But you will surprise yourself.  You will get there.  You will get discouraged the first few days.   But then you will start seeing improvement, little by little.

If you have a specific problem be sure to post here for more specific advice. 

Thanks for all the replies! Yea,  I never had trouble learning a bike but this is on some next level hardness. I've been practicing by touching a wall lightly when needed. I try to pick momentum up to keep going forward but I'm always falling to the side. Barely could go 3 inches before I have to touch the wall. Is your leg against the sides or not touching? Your feet should be perfectly in the middle? Toes pointing  straight, outward,  or inner? What's the setting you guys use in the app, riding mode 0—9 the default on mine was 3. Lastly how long did it take for you guys to learn? 

I wait for the day parents need to decide if their kid gets a electricly powered bicycle or unicycle. Then we'll know for sure wich one is easier :)

True and I've seen some videos where kids seem to be 'naturals'.  But I think kids usually do have better coordination.  They have lower centers of gravity, etc.  So I guess I can rephrase my reply as "I believe that it's harder for an old fart to learn to ride an EU than for a kid to learn to ride a bike."

But I've only practiced 13 times for about 15 minutes each time and I can do laps around a school parking lot, go over speed bumps, launch unassisted, stop, etc.  There's a long list of things I can't do including things like stay within the width of a sidewalk (so I don't do sidewalks... yet!), go slow for very long, etc.  But each day I seem to accomplish another 'skill'.

Last night my wife shot a video of me and I think I look like I am doing better than I feel I am doing when I am riding.   Like I've said before, I think if I can learn this then just about any one can.

Thanks for all the replies! Yea,  I never had trouble learning a bike but this is on some next level hardness. I've been practicing by touching a wall lightly when needed. I try to pick momentum up to keep going forward but I'm always falling to the side. Barely could go 3 inches before I have to touch the wall. Is your leg against the sides or not touching? Your feet should be perfectly in the middle? Toes pointing  straight, outward,  or inner? What's the setting you guys use in the app, riding mode 0—9 the default on mine was 3. Lastly how long did it take for you guys to learn? 

When I started I found that I had really bad balance.  I built a crude but effective balance board to help me improve my balance.

I think, at least for beginning, you want your legs tight against the EU and squeeze your legs together when you need more stability.  I think this lessens as you get better.  Foot placement seems like it might be an individual thing.  I was told that I needed to move my feet forward and that has worked for me so far (it helps get the acceleration that gets the speed that helps you balance).  My shoe is 1 foot long and on the 9B1 pedal I have about 1/2" hanging off the back. I may try scooting it back 1/2" sometime though.  Since I currently keep my feet tight against the 9B1 my feet are pretty much straight.  But you should do what works best for you.  I started on mode 3 because that is what I read some people say was good for beginners.  But then I tried the other modes and I now use mode 1.  I would probably use mode 0 if it wasn't for the vibrating when stationary (it's not that bad but I don't notice much difference between 1 and 0).  As I mentioned I have practiced 13 days/nights for about 15 minutes each.  The first 7 days are probably the hardest.  In my case I would always go left and I had to fight to go straight.  Because of the size/shape of my practice spot I would have to step off or hit a curb.  I couldn't seem to go right.  But then I figured that out and things are so much better.

If you used to ride bikes, roller blades, skates; it should be similar. Just a little bit harder.

I tried it inside the house for an hour and kept falling because carpet gives it a drag and more friction so it always fell. House because if on carpet or tile, it wouldn't scratch the bot up as bad.

After going to Walgreens to purchase a dog leash and attached it to the handle of the bot, I took it outside for a spin. What do ya know! On the road I go! It was much easier then and as days goes by the bot becomes a part of me and thinking on how to stay balanced is not part of the process anymore. No more dog leash until I get an actual pet.

I can't remember learning to ride a bike myself but I can remember teaching my kids.

The best way I found was to hold the back of the saddle to keep them up and run alongside so they had the speed to get the feel of it. There's no way you can learn to ride a bike by going along a wall or a railing as you are always off balance leaning on it. Once they got going I just gradually let go.

Likewise on a euc the easiest way is to have a friend or preferably two holding your hands and running alongside to get the feel of the wheel. Don't worry too much about mounting at the beginning as that is initially hard, so use any support you can to get yourself positioned properly on the pedals and then with the help of your friends set off as fast as they can run.

If you all try then a bit of competition creeps in and gives you that extra bit of incentive that may be missing to begin with and you'll all end up having a great laugh and lots of bruises.

I can't remember learning to ride a bike myself but I can remember teaching my kids.

Likewise on a euc the easiest way is to have a friend or preferably two holding your hands and running alongside to get the feel of the wheel. Don't worry too much about mounting at the beginning as that is initially hard, so use any support you can to get yourself positioned properly on the pedals and then with the help of your friends set off as fast as they can run.

I remember riding a tricycle.  I remember getting my first bike.  I don't remember training wheels. I don't remember learning to ride a bike.  From all of that I am extrapolating that it must have been easy.  I think I would have remembered a struggle or crashing.

I keep forgetting the advice of having people help you because (sniff, sniff) I couldn't get anyone to go out with me.  It was too hot or they didn't think they could run fast enough.  But I definitely think it is good advice.  I definitely started with assisted launches.  But as soon as I got to where I could go right, left and straight I found that launching unassisted was pretty easy.  Now that doesn't mean I always get my foot where I want it.  If I don't then I step off and try again.

What's the difference from hard and soft (0-9)?

I'll try the dog leash and see how it goes 

On the 9B1 the Riding Modes are how responsive it is to your forward and backward movements.  Supposedly the responsiveness of the lower numbers can be somehow difficult for a bigger.  But not for me and others.  I mean if I am a beginner and I want to go forward NOW I don't want a delay.  But Riding Mode 0 can vibrate when you are stationary because it's so sensitive that it goes "need to go forward, no backward, no forward, no backward..."

In my case the dog leash is just so the 9B1 won't take off and hit something should I need to step off.  Most of the time I could grab the leash in time that it wouldn't fall over and "tilt".  So it saves the 9B1 from getting scratched up as much.  If I hadn't used a leash while I have been learning no telling how many curbs it would have hit head on.

I think a common mistake for beginners (me included) is to position the feets too far back. I spent about an hour just doing step on/off on my lawn - then you dont have to bother about catching the wheel.

Also, once you get going, put your arms in front of you, almost like Frankenstein, and/or hold your hands together! :)  If I feel wobbly, I hold my hands together like a priest, or put them into the front pockets of my pants.

I guess there are two elements of balance to learn, one is to stay on the bot obviously and the other is to keep it from wobbling side to side between your legs, kind of doing things on its own. 

You can work against the wobbling by squeezing the bot between your legs, but in the end thats going to hurt makes you tense and the ride wont be enjoyable for a long trip.

I position my feet on the pedal so my ankle is slightly behind the center of the pedal, by a few cm. Due to my shoesize my toes and heels overlap a bit. Find the right spot for your foot by standing on one pedal, and fell how the difference is in positions by rocking back and forth. 

While riding I have a slight V position for my feet. If they happen to be in a A stance (toes closer together than heels) it starts to hurt soon for me. My ankles also dont touch the bot anymore while riding, but that came later with more practice.

Hard to say concisely what that "eureka" moment is for each person.  Some people get the legwork down quickly but struggle with upper body movement/balance adjustments and vice versa. 

You definitely need a large open area (preferably non bumpy place. ie. NOT a grassy field) to practice.   Expect to scuff your unit unless you've padded the heck out of it.  Learning on grass COULD work, but it's going to be harder because of the bumpy nature.

My learning process was not learning how to go slow, then faster, then top speed.  My process was to start off going at a moderate speed, which is probably the easiest because it's a nice cruising speed.  From there, I learned how to do moderate speed turns properly, then I started going slower and slower while maintaining control and balance. Slow speed riding is definitely the hardest IMHO.  After about 24 hours of practice (and about 50 miles) I was able to ride at walking-speed without needing to stop and "reset" very often at all.  Learning to go down steep hills gave me trouble at first but got easier as I improved at slow-riding.

Don't look immediately down in front of you when riding at moderate speeds or you'll get distracted by all the subtle movements you would otherwise subconsciously resolve without effort. Look about 20 feet ahead of you unless you need to negotiate a turn or are aiming for a stopping point.

Good luck.

PS. +1 on the "don't use the training wheels" bit of advice from others.

Wow my psi was 13! Now I have it at 45 and I can actually go a decent distance before falling off!

Yeah, as a warning to 9B1 new owners. Some of them are shipped with low air pressure. I think mine was around 20 psi. I saw this mentioned in a video as well. 

Update: higher psi did wonders on learning how to ride. I can now go a whole block before I have to stop to turn. Twisting when I am about to tip over helps a lot too. 

Any tips on turning? I feel like my knee starts to hurt a bit due to all my weight always on it due to counter balancing. What happens when the battery runs out, Does it just stops and kicks me off? (that what happen to me on my self balancing scooter) is it okay to charge it over night, like it stops charging after 100% or should I keep an eye out for 100% then pull the plug? 

Archived