Wiggly

lhwu

Hi,

It's my second day on an EUC, and I can ride my mcm4 gotway up and down a flat straight relatively easily. However, sometimes when I reach higher speeds my wheel starts to get all wiggly like a worm in between my lower legs and I'm wondering why this might be happening. When I brake it happens too sometimes.

Edit: it happens all the time 

Happens when your legs get tired. And if you're a new rider, this will happen EARLY (regardless of how muscular/young your legs are). It's a 'muscle memory' tolerance sort of a thing. 

Still happens to me even today, though infrequently. At first like you I put it down to a problem with the wheel....but when it happens if you slow down and then completely relax your legs for a few seconds you realise it's them, not the wheel.

It doesn't happen at lower speeds though - It doesn't feel like a problem coming from my body. When I brake from high speeds the wheel starts to wiggle vigorously from side to side. 

Just now, Paddylaz said:

Happens when your legs get tired. And if you're a new rider, this will happen EARLY (REGARDLESS of how muscular/young your legs are). It's a 'muscle memory' tolerance sort of a thing. 

Still happens to me even today, though infrequently. At first like you I put it down to a problem with the wheel....but when it happens if you slow down and then completely relax your legs for a few seconds you realise it's them, not the wheel.

Ah okay that makes sense 

4 minutes ago, lhwu said:

It doesn't happen at lower speeds though - It doesn't feel like a problem coming from my body. When I brake from high speeds the wheel starts to wiggle vigorously from side to side. 

Ah okay that makes sense 

One more thing, it can sometimes happen if your feet are positioned improperly, too. 

Assuming you have 'normal' sized feet (i.e. nothing freaky! :) :........you want the top 1/3rd or 1/4 of your foot sticking off the front end of each pedal. 

3 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

One more thing, it can sometimes happen if your feet are positioned improperly, too. 

Assuming you have 'normal' sized feet (i.e. nothing freaky! :) :........you want the top 1/3rd or 1/4 of your foot sticking off the front end of each pedal. 

Thanks!

I've messed around with braking and wobbles; it may be something other than just being new and having weak legs.

I think wobbles under braking are caused by asymmetrical force going through the wheel, and such forces are caused by more weight being put on one footpad than on the other.

You start braking, the wheel turns into the foot with more weight thereby evening the weight, you continue braking but you still got that little turn in so the wheel keeps shaking back and forth, evening then unloading the weight, and so on in a cycle.

More experienced riders, when they brake, go hard into their pads and don't mind snaking their wheel, often quite visibly so.

@lhwu what tire pressure are you running?  You might try a higher pressure, I run 50 psi that gradually leaks down to about 40 psi before I put more air in.

Also, you might slow down a little to just below the speed you get wobbles. Wobbles are not safe, especially if you get a really strong wobble all of a sudden.:blink:

Wobbles are a symptom of unrelaxed/tired legs. My guess is, there are a lot of subtle tiny balance movements your legs (and entire body) automatically do, and if you aren't relaxed, they are too late and instead of dampening any oscillations, they may amplify them and you get these uncontrolled wobbles.

Having good (comfortable) foot positioning is also very important in this regard. Hard to be relaxed when standing on the pedals uncomfortably. Go by what feels best, not what you think it should be.

Like others have said, I noticed some wobbles when I first started riding, especially when braking while descending a hill.  As you get more comfortable riding, this will go away.  For now, just slow down a little.

Archived