Newbie here, just saying hi

Wnafly

I ordered the 

king song 16s today and can't wait for it to come. Should be a couple of weeks. I have experience riding the inmotion v3 of which I have quickly outgrown. I got it because it was reasonably priced and I can pass it onto my daughter or grand kids to ride with me. I have a Segway mini pro which they love riding too. I have some experience riding a peddle unicycle so I believe I'll be able to pick this up ok. I'm hoping anyway. I'm 60 yrs old 5'11 and 205 lb. hmm,,,is there an old goat room in this forum, I know they don't recommend these for people over 50 but come on. Then again, wait a few weeks and I'll let you know if there right. I do easy riding on  asphalt end bike path alongside the Mississippi. Cruise between 7 and 15 mph. Just need more mileage is all. about 25-30 would be great for me. I'm hoping the 16s will fill the bill.

Welcome! There hasn't been a ton of people who have posted but I've read that people with actual pedal unicycle experience pick these up pretty fast. I have  KS-16s that I've been learning to ride for 5 days now and am almost into a useful stage of skill with it but everyone's different, some faster and some slower. I think the age thing is just so if someone falls and breaks a hip they can say they had a disclaimer. In reality, there are a ton of people over 50 on this forum that ride and at least a few over 60.

At 39m and 23 sec there is some prove it can makes a differences that you can ride a unicycle.

( also funny video to watch imo).

Thanks for the replies, I think you're right about the age thing. Figure I'll be able to do it or not. Excellent video Gotmotion2016, Tonka was especially entertaining. I've been searching all through this forum and am amazed by all the great information on here. So glad I ran across this forum. As time goes by I'm sure I'll have some good and some duh questions. Friends and family are a bit confused by my new found obsession. They're getting used to it though, sometimes they just look at me and shake their head and smile that you're a bit nuts smile that I've become used too. Life's to short, get out and get some, I don't care what you get, just get out. Thanks for the camaraderie, not enough of that going around.

On 8/13/2017 at 5:22 PM, gotmotion2016 said:

At 39m and 23 sec there is some prove it can makes a differences that you can ride a unicycle.

( also funny video to watch imo).

Very funny when the manual unicycle goes by:lol:  When he goes over the ramp, almost an overlean cutout:o  At about 46:45 a good demonstration of pendulums, about where I am at right now, pendulums are fun.  At the end, he describes how the handle broke off and the protective gear he uses and the knee scrape.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for your welcome replies, fed ex called me today and said the ks16s will be here tomorrow. Yippee!! I got my ninebot one e+ Tuesday and it's all padded up and waiting for me to train on in preparation for the 16s. I figure the king song will give me incentive not to give up. Not that I probably would anyway (I'm pretty stubborn). Hmm, now that I think about it I imagine everyone in this forum has stubborn testical fortitude.

On 8/12/2017 at 11:59 PM, Wnafly said:

I'm hoping anyway. I'm 60 yrs old 5'11 and 205 lb. hmm,,,is there an old goat room in this forum, ....

Well, I believe this forum IS an old goat room.

Somewhere is a thread, where it is shown that most members are above 45, and quite a lot over 55 (like me), so don't worry, we understand you. :lol:

My KS16S came fri. It's fantastic looking!! I've been practicing all weekend on the ninebot one e to get good enough to ride it, I finally got good enough after a couple hours off and on of practice, so I rode the Kingsong and am very impressed at the smoothness of it. Granted, I'm just a newb, but it felt smooth to me. I tried the learning mode and didn't care for it. Nothing wrong with it, it just felt weird. Might be because I learned on the ninebot one e+, which I had on setting no.3 for the petals. I think I'm going to really enjoy riding the Kingsong. As of now I only wear a helmet and half gloves because i travel so slow and that if I started to fall off the unit I could just step off and sit down if I wanted to. Lol, I'm not a fast rider that's for sure. Joggers pass me by, and for now that's ok. I'm retired and not in a hurry to go anyplace in particular. With more experience I'm sure I'll pick up the pace. At that time I'll ad more padding. Happy riding everyone.

I too just got a KS16S and agree is feels very smooth, and I came from a V3 pro. I'm still a bit of a noob, but quickly realized the slow speed and turning issues with the V3 Pro were not optimal for me. I am glad I went with this unit, as the pedal height, size and position feel good for me. The battery life and control are great. I have just had a couple issues;

Do you have a "whirring" sound on yours as you ride? My V3Pro is fairly silent, but I can definitely hear a slight high pitched "whirr" on my KS. I am guessing it's from the motor itself, and I haven't tried to sample the frequency yet, but it is high pictched.

Also, per other thread I posted today, I am working with my dealer on this sudden vibration and "overvoltage" issue. Per dealer if it is charged up 100% and gets a regenerative kick, it may go into overvoltage, but after 17km it has happened to me 4 times anywhere from 100% to 80% battery charge. I cannot shut off unit and if I pick it up the wheel just spin like crazy. The only thing I can do to shut it off is tilt it 90 degrees. Then it wont start back up for 5 mins.

Please let me know if you encounter anything like that. I think I have a bad unit.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Wnafly said:

I ordered the 

king song 16s today and can't wait for it to come. Should be a couple of weeks. I have experience riding the inmotion v3 of which I have quickly outgrown. I got it because it was reasonably priced and I can pass it onto my daughter or grand kids to ride with me. I have a Segway mini pro which they love riding too. I have some experience riding a peddle unicycle so I believe I'll be able to pick this up ok. I'm hoping anyway. I'm 60 yrs old 5'11 and 205 lb. hmm,,,is there an old goat room in this forum, I know they don't recommend these for people over 50 but come on. Then again, wait a few weeks and I'll let you know if there right. I do easy riding on  asphalt end bike path alongside the Mississippi. Cruise between 7 and 15 mph. Just need more mileage is all. about 25-30 would be great for me. I'm hoping the 16s will fill the bill.

Good choice.  I love my KS16, need an extra 5mph and it would be perfect.  Really thinking of getting the KS16S, but I heard the KS18L is coming out so I will wait a bit.  Plus I have too many to ride anyway.  The twin wheel v3 and manual unicycle won't really help you with the EUC.  It will take maybe a little less time and some things do translate from the manual unicycle but if you know how to ride a EUC, it doesn't translate at all over to the manual unicycle.  I just learned how to ride the manual unicycle and it was difficult for me even though I've learned almost all of what I need to learn on the EUC.  I've still yet to learn free mounting and idling.  the 16S should give you ~30-35 mile range.  If you need more, you might want to go with the 18S.

1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

I too just got a KS16S and agree is feels very smooth, and I came from a V3 pro. I'm still a bit of a noob, but quickly realized the slow speed and turning issues with the V3 Pro were not optimal for me. I am glad I went with this unit, as the pedal height, size and position feel good for me. The battery life and control are great. I have just had a couple issues;

Do you have a "whirring" sound on yours as you ride? My V3Pro is fairly silent, but I can definitely hear a slight high pitched "whirr" on my KS. I am guessing it's from the motor itself, and I haven't tried to sample the frequency yet, but it is high pictched.

Also, per other thread I posted today, I am working with my dealer on this sudden vibration and "overvoltage" issue. Per dealer if it is charged up 100% and gets a regenerative kick, it may go into overvoltage, but after 17km it has happened to me 4 times anywhere from 100% to 80% battery charge. I cannot shut off unit and if I pick it up the wheel just spin like crazy. The only thing I can do to shut it off is tilt it 90 degrees. Then it wont start back up for 5 mins.

Please let me know if you encounter anything like that. I think I have a bad unit.

Ok, some Points:

The whining is totally normal...and on the 16/18S especially on lower Speeds you can hear it quit loud.

The overvoltage issue:

That definitly Points to a defective unit! Seams your voltage Reader on the board is crappy! In no way after 17 Kilometers you should run into an overvoltage warning!!!

Even on a 100% full Batterie this should NOT happen just from short regenerative braking! Only a hill down driving after a full Charge should/could lead to Problems....

What do you mean by "sudden Vibration"?

But whatever the answers are: Your wheel is defect...check that with your seller!

3 hours ago, Wnafly said:

My KS16S came fri. It's fantastic looking!! I've been practicing all weekend on the ninebot one e to get good enough to ride it, I finally got good enough after a couple hours off and on of practice, so I rode the Kingsong and am very impressed at the smoothness of it. Granted, I'm just a newb, but it felt smooth to me. I tried the learning mode and didn't care for it. Nothing wrong with it, it just felt weird. Might be because I learned on the ninebot one e+, which I had on setting no.3 for the petals. I think I'm going to really enjoy riding the Kingsong. As of now I only wear a helmet and half gloves because i travel so slow and that if I started to fall off the unit I could just step off and sit down if I wanted to. Lol, I'm not a fast rider that's for sure. Joggers pass me by, and for now that's ok. I'm retired and not in a hurry to go anyplace in particular. With more experience I'm sure I'll pick up the pace. At that time I'll ad more padding. Happy riding everyone.

Congrats! :-)

Learning mode is the softest pedal mode...and when you come from a ninebot e+ i would advice to use the Player mode :-)

That mode is more like the e+ mode and more responsive.

Pading and Helmet is always a very good choice! Ride safe!

Circuitmage, I'm in agreement with KingSong69, mine has a little whining or like a slight ringing sound, kinda like I hear on gotway videos but nowhere near as loud. Vibration and over voltage! I have neither of those. Not sure where you bought from but I'd at least email and/or call them. Hopefully, just a simple fix. I'm only one in my area riding an euc and a reporter saw me cruising the river yesterday. He took some pics and interviewed me. Kind of awkward since I'm such a noob. I was on the ninebot though (I didn't want to ride in public on the Kingsong until I had more experience). But anyway heres the article.

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Ok, some Points:

The whining is totally normal...and on the 16/18S especially on lower Speeds you can hear it quit loud.

What do you mean by "sudden Vibration"?

But whatever the answers are: Your wheel is defect...check that with your seller!

Good to know. I actually like the whining sound. :) Gives more of a high-tech impression.

The sudden vibration is exactly that. Either while I'm slowing down, or just after I get off after stopping, the wheel just starts shuttering and vibrating (seems like the controller is forcing it forward and backward at about a 10 Hz oscillation rate). Yes, very strange. Then it starts flashing yellow LEDs on the side and voicing "over voltage", and I cannot power it off. The only thing I can seem to do is lift the wheel , rotate it 90 degrees and then it shuts itself off. At that point it will not power on for about another 5 minutes. When I hit the power button the front light blinks red, maybe 1 or 2 RBG LEDs light up with strange colors. 

The local retailer is very concerned and has been very helpful so far with my new wheel. He's already asked me not to ride it again, but I am already at work, so another 3 miles today for me. Hopefully I make it home!

11 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

The sudden vibration is exactly that. Either while I'm slowing down, or just after I get off after stopping, the wheel just starts shuttering and vibrating (seems like the controller is forcing it forward and backward at about a 10 Hz oscillation rate). Yes, very strange. Then it starts flashing yellow LEDs on the side and voicing "over voltage", and I cannot power it off. The only thing I can seem to do is lift the wheel , rotate it 90 degrees and then it shuts itself off. At that point it will not power on for about another 5 minutes. When I hit the power button the front light blinks red, maybe 1 or 2 RBG LEDs light up with strange colors. 

Definitly defect wheel...seller has to repair or Change it....

Archived