Milestone: My first commute on my V8. A report

WARPed1701D

I've done it! :thumbup: My wheel is finally being used as intended as my means of getting to and from work. No falls or unwanted step-offs for the whole journey. I got off once by intention to cross a busy bridge (4km into the journey on the charts) with a narrow sidewalk. When things get narrow I still get wobbly so this was a good move for now. A mistake here means a 6" drop into a busy road with little room for drivers to avoid me. The only other times I stopped was for a crosswalk signal (7km into the charts) and another crosswalk near the end. I used some street furniture to keep balance as I waited so no need to put my feet on the ground. The first 4km was on quiet roads (the high constant speed section in the charts), the rest was on waterfront mixed use paths (the variable speed middle bit), dedicated bike paths (last high speed section) and USF SP campus (final variable speed section).

This is my first long ride and I have to say everything is pretty much perfect even with the oppressive heat and humidity (Feels like 97F, 36C, 74% humidity). My research on my gear really paid off. The Giro Switchblade was supremely comfortable and felt like my old motorcycle helmet on my head rather than a bike helmet. It inspired confidence and I loved it. :ph34r: It was not hot at all which was my hope given that I'm just standing around on my EUC rather than pedaling up a mountain like many of the previous helmet reviewers who complained of heat are. I wore all my G-Form protective compression gear (shorts, shirt, elite knee and elbow pads) and with my work clothes over the top you could only just see the elbow pads poking from below my rolled shirt sleeves. I was a little sweaty when I arrived but much better than expected and most of that came from the few minutes I was outside work in the heat with no airflow over me. The G-Form gear is highly breathable and ultra comfortable. I forgot I had it on. The Flex-meters were also very comfy. :D I will review the G-Form gear one I have had a bit more time with it but so far...5 star for comfort, certified protection, and breathability.

Started 8:37 AM
Ended 9:06 AM (erm late!) :whistling:
Conditions: 86F (30C), Feels Like 97F (36C), Humidity 74% (WTF!) :furious:

Total distance: 8.74 km
Max Speed: 20.37 kph (tiltback currently set to 20 kph)
Average Speed: 15.53 kph
Start Voltage: 84.24v, 100%
End Voltage: 80.73v, 87%
Max Wheel Temp: 37C

Here are some graphs of the journey. One peak on the power chart exceeded the Y axis boundary (7km into the charts). It went up to 1200W briefly. This was just after I pushed off of a lamp post I had been using to support me waiting for a crosswalk signal and I lost balance a little as I got started causing a sudden movement that the wheel compensated for by exceeding nominal output.

What has impressed me most is the battery consumption. I admit I'm only running at 2/3 max speed and my journey is very smooth with little change in speed once I'm cruising and with no hills at all but 13% consumption for a 9km journey is wonderful for a V8. This is of course my first ride of many and I expect real usage to be more than this (note the first portion of the journey the wheel was over 84v so reading 100% for a while).

Huge thanks to @palachzzz :innocent1: for producing a version of WheelLog for InMotion wheels. B) Being an Android user I was pained that I would miss out on detailed metrics and wonderfully this version appeared right before I was about to start using my wheel in earnest.

Anyway, I really must do some work. :clap3: Who am I kidding. I'm way too high! :laughbounce2:

metrics.png

On 8/6/2017 at 2:16 AM, palachzzz said:

Hi all.

I really wanted to have a good APP for my Intionion V8, but looks like the JumpMaster and Cedric Hauber disappeared from the forum(( So, I haven't a choise, I modified the Cedric's version by myself :) 
FIXED:
-speed 
-temperature
-total distance
-distance
added in the second tab: 
-second temperature (controller)
-angles (Angle and Roll).
In addition, I changed the polling rate to 10 times per second, and also added it all to the log. Caution, the log file is now growing rapidly

WheelLog-inmotion.apk

For interested Inmotion owners the WheelLog update starts being discussed here...

Nice!

8.7Km beats my longest ride. Some noob tips/observations;

1) stay away from traffic! Mine did get away from me once and bounced into the road. I was lucky cars were 5 seconds away. If you don't have a choice, then slower speeds at first.

2) Slow down towards intersections. Bicycles and others can stop and wait, but why get off? I'm learning to move forward and backward (rocking) at lights, but still not comfortable. Easier to slow down for 10 or 15 seconds and have a good chance of catching the light.

3) IMHO hand signals from motorcycle riding applies here. I use them alot.

Nice charts. 29 mins for 8.7km is good.

1 minute ago, Circuitmage said:

Nice!

8.7Km beats my longest ride. Some noob tips/observations;

1) stay away from traffic! Mine did get away from me once and bounced into the road. I was lucky cars were 5 seconds away. If you don't have a choice, then slower speeds at first.

2) Slow down towards intersections. Bicycles and others can stop and wait, but why get off? I'm learning to move forward and backward (rocking) at lights, but still not comfortable. Easier to slow down for 10 or 15 seconds and have a good chance of catching the light.

3) IMHO hand signals from motorcycle riding applies here. I use them alot.

Nice charts. 29 mins for 8.7km is good.

I have a tether on my wheel and I'm going to keep it on to prevent such runaway situations in the future but I avoid traffic where I can anyway. People round here are either drunk, high, or on their phones. I learned to avoid them over the last two years of cycling to work.

I actually crossed several roads in the first 4km. Only one of them was a major one and I indeed slowed down to find a lucky break without stopping. The two crosswalks were not much of an option. The first went red just as I approached so it was too long of a wait to slow down for the duration. I also didn't want to rush the crossing. I felt stopping and making sure the 4 way intersection was clear was my best approach here on my first commute. The second crosswalk was not on an intersection and has a push button to activate strobes that alert drivers to your intent to cross. As there was a University cop sitting in his cruiser right at the crosswalk I thought it best to stop, fully press the button, and then proceed to cross. I like these guys to stay on my side.

As a ex-motorcyclist/cyclist I'm all about indicating my intention to those around me and did so at all points on the road. I also made my intentions very clear to pedestrians I passed on the mixed use paths. I also made sure not to shout my approach to them in any way that could be considered aggressive or rude and added lots of pleases and thank yous as I passed to try and be a good ambassador.

So, this is about my 4th ride to work, and my first 2-day in-a-row ride. And I discovered something;

TRASH CANS!

Our city has trash cans at almost every corner, so they are at the perfect spot to stop and grab onto so I don't have to dismount. :)

Lol. This is currently the hardest part for me. Getting started. Once I am on and rolling I can go for as far as I want, but it sometimes takes 4 tries to get going from standstill.

Then again, it's not by avoiding the problem that you learn to master it.

It can take me several attempts to get rolling from a free mount. This morning I had to stop at an intersection that crosses a fairly busy road. I chose to walk the wheel across the road and try mounting on the other side. That time took 3 attempts. When I got to work I had to use the card reader to access the compound so stepped off. This is on a fairly steep upwards slope. I figured there was no way I'd be able to mount on the slope...but got it first time. As has been said it is all about naturally getting your foot in the right place on the pedal first time. Sometimes I get it. Sometimes I don't. It will come.

Guys, don't worry, free mounting is one of the hardest parts.

For the first 700km or so of riding, I could never properly free mount (that is, not only start going, but also have a comfortable foot position). Always started, then found something to hold on, and fixed the foot position (also a lot while riding).

Then, suddenly, I'd never get a good foot position from doing that and only free mounting gave me one:P Now I always free mount, as it works much better, and I avoid poles entirely.

The point is, this stuff comes with practice. Same as turning your head or even looking behind you while riding - seems impossible at the start, then suddenly you can do it and didn't even think about it or know when the change happened.

Ride, ride, ride, rest happens by itself:)

Update in battery consumption so far. This is from the 3rd full charge of the wheel since I have owned it.

27.57km (17.13 miles) ridden, battery now at 39%.

68kg (150lb) 75kg (165lb) rider weight.
Flat terrain.
Riding between 30C (86F) and 36C (97F) air temperature.
Mainly constant rolling with some speed increase/decrease due to pedestrian avoidance.
First 5 miles limited to 20kph max speed, remainder limited to 25kph max speed.
Tire pressure: 40 - 45lb/in2

The V8 has been supremely smooth and well behaved so far. I am very happy with my choice so far. A great combination of weight, range, power, features, looks AND price (at $999 V8 pricing, not >$1600 SoloWheel Astroglide 3 pricing) for what I need right now.

I managed to get 38.67 km (24.03 miles ) out of a full charge on my V8. This was to the point of low battery shutdown which is performed at 68.44V (3.42V/cell) or 3% of wheel reported capacity. At shutdown the pedals tilted back to 15 degrees in fairly quick (but not dangerous) fashion to bring me to a halt.

Conditions are as listed above. Speed still limited to 25kph (16mph) in the app at the moment. Rider weight is probably more like 165 though considering protective gear and back pack with work stuff in it.

I think for the final part of the ride it might have been tilting back at a lower speed/ Hard to say at the moment.

Also...This range is in the upper part of the 20-25 mile range band specified by eWheels (nice realistic estimate @Jason McNeil :thumbup:) but well below the overly optimistic 45-50km (27-30 miles) on the Inmotion website. I'm pleased to say that following my V8 research before buying it is pretty much where I expected it to be. I will be interesting to see how much this is affected once I unlock the final few kph.

Thanks again @palachzzz for getting WheelLog going for Inmotion wheels. I got a reliable log for my ride home.

All I can say is... congratulations!  You're doing great!  I wish I was doing as well as you are.  Definitely going to invest in the G-form compression clothing.  I'm thinking a helmet that will protect my chin is also increasingly in order.  I'm looking forward to doing my first commute (the 5 miles from my house to my gf's house, and the 5 miles back) but I have to do it late at night so I can experience crossing major roads without cars present to know what I need to work on.  Just a matter of staying awake long enough one of these days to do that!

8 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

All I can say is... congratulations!  You're doing great!  I wish I was doing as well as you are.  Definitely going to invest in the G-form compression clothing.  I'm thinking a helmet that will protect my chin is also increasingly in order.  I'm looking forward to doing my first commute (the 5 miles from my house to my gf's house, and the 5 miles back) but I have to do it late at night so I can experience crossing major roads without cars present to know what I need to work on.  Just a matter of staying awake long enough one of these days to do that!

Thanks!

Going for a full face helmet is, I believe, a great move. If I were wearing an open face helmet I'd feel much more uncomfortable on the wheel. If you can get to a bike shop that is the best move as different brands fit different shape heads better.

I will do a thorough review of the G-Form gear once I have used it a bit more. I remain very happy with it so far. I sweated more on my homeward bound journeys at 4-5pm but I don't think I can blame the gear for that, it is just Florida, as you know, and most of the sweat appeared at the start or end of the ride as I was preparing to get going or shutting down at the end. Actually riding with 15mph of airflow was pretty comfortable. Removing the elbow and knee pads when clammy is more of a challenge. I had my back protector on yesterday (POC Spine 2.0) and that increases retained heat immensely. I'm on the fence about using that full time at the moment. I want to, but dear god it was warm. G-Form have a 30 day return period. You pay return shipping. As long as you get an RMA number form them then there is no restocking fee.

Another observation. The V8 considers 100% battery charge to be at 82.5V. This is why after a full charge to 84v (with an overnight rest period for the battery after stopping the charge) I ran at 100% wheel reported charge level for several kilometers the other day (voltage remained above 82.5v).

I still haven't had time to read up on the operation of the charge doctor so last night I turned off the eWheels fast charger (2.5A) as soon as WheelLog reported battery voltage had hit 84V. As such I did not allow it to run the constant voltage decreasing current stage. I looked at the battery voltage in the log for this mornings ride after I had been moving for 0.2 miles (to allow a voltage under load reading) and calculations suggest it had obtained 90% (of manufacturer rated cell capacity (3.0V empty, 4.2V full) not wheel reported capacity) charge by doing this.

I will try this again with the standard charger another day. This could be a way for those without a charge doctor to limit their charge level for longevity/downhill reasons. Just be sure to do a cell balancing charge every week or two,

Once I have enough data I intend to post this info in the Inmotion forum with an appropriate title as a reference for V8 owners.

14 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

I'm just piggy backing on your thread here....3 days in a row for me now on EUC to work.

Congrats! B) Piggy back all you want :thumbup: but I'd be interested to hear details about the trip and that warrants a thread of it's own so your tale can bask in all it's righful glory. :clap3:

Spill the beans...distances, problems, acomplishments, gear, etc, etc.

Nothing much exciting, just trying to form a new mindset to take it to work every day. Lots of small details;

1) Have to get enough sleep to be motivated to ride.

2) Learned how to pack my bag; gear, pillow and charging pack in bag. Helmet and lunchbox outside. (it's a small bag)

3) I drive to train station, do not wear gear from car to train.

4) I get downtown and wear all gear for a quick 5 block ride.

and then reverse in the PM.

I have already ridden straight from home to train , but holding out a bit before I make that a daily thing...hoping to upgrade by then. That's an extra 2.5 miles, so the rides I'm doing now are very short, but fast!

It does help me get to the train on time to get a seat!

I have a new motivation to ride my wheel to work, school traffic! There's an elementary on the way to work that lets kids out just as I'm on my way to work (I work late). Of course, cars pile-up blocking the only direct route for my commute. Riding on the sidewalks can bypass all of that; (although, I may have to dodge a few kids along the way).

I've already proven I can ride to work and back. This week I even rode home after nightfall without incident. At this point, rain and puddles are the biggest impediment to my using my wheel as intended (for commuting). At night I wore extra headlights and blinking taillights... Aside from being a bit tired (from work), the experience went smoothly. Final thoughts: get brighter headlight(s) for the path ahead...

16 minutes ago, RayRay said:

I have a new motivation to ride my wheel to work, school traffic! There's an elementary on the way to work that lets kids out just as I'm on my way to work (I work late). Of course, cars pile-up blocking the only direct route for my commute. Riding on the sidewalks can bypass all of that; (although, I may have to dodge a few kids along the way).

I've already proven I can ride to work and back. This week I even rode home after nightfall without incident. At this point, rain and puddles are the biggest impediment to my using my wheel as intended (for commuting). At night I wore extra headlights and blinking taillights... Aside from being a bit tired (from work), the experience went smoothly. Final thoughts: get brighter headlight(s) for the path ahead...

You've come a long way. I remember when you were ready to give up and sell your wheel... I'm trying to get to the point where I can commute on my wheel myself. I hope to try in a week and a half more of practice I think.

8 hours ago, RayRay said:

I'm going to review my Light and Motion Vis 360+ helmet mounted head and taillight combo as soon as I have chance. Had them for 18 months now and very happy. They make an even brighter version now too. Check them out.

Archived