Jump to content

looking to upgrade from airwheel x3 - dirt roads usage


rafi:ki

Recommended Posts

Hello!

I currently have an airwheel x3 (14") and i am looking into getting a new wheel. i only use it on dirt roads with gravels here and there. the X3 is doing pretty well and is very agle to avoid medium rocks that would cause a fall. I looked for a while but can't really find a wheel that is better offroad than the others. 

Id love some suggestions, i'd would some suspension but i dont think is exists

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How fast do you want to go? How far? How steep? How much do you want to pay?

  • Rockwheel GT16 has some level of suspension, but it is a very recent model with some other issues.
  • IPS Lhotz has a wider tire (2.5" instead of 2.125"), but it's an old model and not powerful enough for serious offroad.
  • Gotway Msuper has an 18" wheel but it's a bit expensive and Gotways have had a lot of serious issues lately.
  • KingSong KS-16S is the fastest of the safer wheels. I'm expecting mine to arrive next week!

I'd get an EUC with:

  • Atleast a 16" wheel
  • Powerful motor (atleast 2000W peak)
  • As big a battery you need and can afford (680Wh bare minimum)

Use shoes with the best shock absorption system and insoles you can find, and use a lower tire pressure (no lower than 2.3-2.5 bar depending) and the suspension won't be needed from the wheel.

To me it seems the market is dominated by KingSong and Gotway, Inmotion being a close follower. To buy any other brand would have to be reasoned for a special purpose. 

A few things to remember: If you want to go 20kph, you need a wheel that can go 30. If you want to travel 30km, you need a wheel that can do 60. If you want to climb a 10% uphill, the wheel must be capable of 20%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think you will have much luck with suspension, but consider these...

  • 16" IPS Lhotz - standard with a 2.5" tyre ideal for off-road
  • 18" Gotway MSuper - has a bigger battery than the Lhotz, but is heavier too.

And remember your weight, required range, et cetera all contribute to which wheel is best for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All other things being equal the bigger you go on wheel size the better it will handle the bumps. 

Unfortunately the trade off is that the bigger wheels are less manoeuverable to avoid the big rocks on the more technically challenging trails.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for your responses!

To answer a few questions, I am 150lbs, I dont want my wheel to go at crazy speeds, i think the X3 goes to 10mph so 20 max is fine. I would like the wheel to climb 15% hills, for the battery a few miles is fine. Id rather the wheel to be agile and manoeuverable than having high range.

The GT16 looks good but no way im getting a 40lbs wheel... this seems like a tank :/

my budget is about a 1000

ANyone of you tried the IPS 132 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the IPS 132 (F400) is an older model, as I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. The mentioned IPS Lhotz (191) shares a lot of the specs, and can be controlled by a smartphone via bluetooth. I got mine new for 700€.

Your demands are very humble by modern standards. The Lhotz would fill them with ease (26kph, 15-20km) as long as the 14kg weight is manageable to you.

One thing to note is that the leg support on the Lhotz is quite low. For me it was impossible to get on without support since the pressure was centered so low on my leg. I built extenders that evens the pressure out and reaches up a lot higher. It is now very comfortable to get on, and also to hold it steady at higher speeds.

IMG_1542.thumb.JPG.fe27a8ff33d4a871e052b8eaa94066d2.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Someone has an IPS 132 for sale in the private sales section for 200 British pounds, but it is in Great Britain.

Can't speak for Britain, but because of the regulations on shipping li-ion batteries just shipping an EUC from Finland to any other country would probably cost more than that.

Disregarding that, I don't think a top speed of 12 mph and a 260Wh battery is enough for the OP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Can't speak for Britain, but because of the regulations on shipping li-ion batteries just shipping an EUC from Finland to any other country would probably cost more than that.

Disregarding that, I don't think a top speed of 12 mph and a 260Wh battery is enough for the OP.

Yeah, the shipping would make it not a good deal.  And 260 Wh is kind of small.  The Lhotz would probably be a good wheel to get, everyone who owns one really likes them.  I thought the Lhotz could do 30 kmh?  After going to the IPS website, your'e right, they don't have the 132 listed for sale anymore, but the Lhotz is still listed as one of their top wheels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I thought the Lhotz could do 30 kmh?

That's what's advertized, but tiltback keeps it below 26 kph. The IPS 132 top speed is 20 kph, I'd guess tiltback keeps it below 18 kph.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7.7.2017 at 8:41 PM, rafi:ki said:

Thank you for your responses!

...

The GT16 looks good but no way im getting a 40lbs wheel... this seems like a tank :/

my budget is about a 1000

ah too bad, no 40lbs wheel :huh:
well, my friends Gotway Msuper v2 (40lbs) with 18.9" wheel and 2.5 tire width just kills my KS16 in offroad forest trails!
you can get it quite cheap, about half the price of v3. 
the Rockwheel GT16 is a nice street racer but not really build for offroad usage, just look at the shell it might break from looking at it. ;)
the ACM and KS16(S) are both fantastic allround wheels, however they come with slim 16" tires and you want bigger wheels for offroad.
the Gotway Monster (70lbs) would be my fav for going offroad, but it's quite expensive and even more heavy duty.
And let's face it, offroad means your wheel is an expendable item, thus it's much more sane to buy a used MSuper v2 for maybe 500 bucks,
then to beat up a shiny monster four times the price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Spark said:

And let's face it, offroad means your wheel is an expendable item, thus it's much more sane to buy a used MSuper v2 for maybe 500 bucks,
then to beat up a shiny monster four times the price.

That is what I am looking for, a good, used, high quality wheel at a good price. but the V2  is just not looking good to me.  The V3 looks really good, but is too new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2017 at 3:57 PM, Spark said:

ah too bad, no 40lbs wheel :huh:
well, my friends Gotway Msuper v2 (40lbs) with 18.9" wheel and 2.5 tire width just kills my KS16 in offroad forest trails!
you can get it quite cheap, about half the price of v3. 
the Rockwheel GT16 is a nice street racer but not really build for offroad usage, just look at the shell it might break from looking at it. ;)
the ACM and KS16(S) are both fantastic allround wheels, however they come with slim 16" tires and you want bigger wheels for offroad.
the Gotway Monster (70lbs) would be my fav for going offroad, but it's quite expensive and even more heavy duty.
And let's face it, offroad means your wheel is an expendable item, thus it's much more sane to buy a used MSuper v2 for maybe 500 bucks,
then to beat up a shiny monster four times the price.

 

On 7/8/2017 at 3:16 PM, mrelwood said:

Can't speak for Britain, but because of the regulations on shipping li-ion batteries just shipping an EUC from Finland to any other country would probably cost more than that.

Disregarding that, I don't think a top speed of 12 mph and a 260Wh battery is enough for the OP.

Mind you, I am currently using An 14" airwheel X3 130Wh and loving it here where i live, does wonder offroad, but not in straight line, gotta avoid the rocks ;) 

I am having a hard time deciding on any of these wheels. all of them are way too bulky and i feel like i'm gonna be really disapointed by the lack of maniability 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's try it this way: What is it that you want the new wheel to do that the X3 doesn't do already? Why do you want to upgrade?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...