New Rider Starting Out. S1 (Daily Deal on Amazon $479) or V5F+

WARPed1701D

Hello All,

New poster here but I want to start by saying thanks to all who have posted here in the past. I has been very helpful in my investigations of the different "wheel" options out there.

Amazon has the Segway One S1 as their daily deal today at $479 with free shipping for Prime members (I also get a 5% discount). With tax and discount this puts it at $486. A pretty good deal. The V5F+ is on sale at ewheels for $895 and they are awaiting stock.

I know the S1 is an inferior product to the V5F+ and I've already decided that I want a V5F+ ultimately. The plan is to use the wheel for 5 mile each way summer commutes to and from work in FL as cycling has just become a sweaty unpleasant endeavor in this heat and humidity. I like the V5F+ because of the few extra MPH and the range. I'm not looking to be a speed demon. I've no desire to eat blacktop at speed but like the fact that the V5F+ will deal with my daily activities with plenty of additional speed and battery reserve to minimize the risk of it folding under me. That said the S1 is being sold at a very competitive price.

Even though I want the V5F+ I'm thinking of getting the S1 initially due to the daily deal price. I'm loathe to drop nearly a thousand bucks on the V5F+ to experiment with a device I may not even like or may not be practical for my intended use. I also like the idea of scratching up and S1 while learning to ride a EUC and the getting the V5F+ once proficient. Used S1's are selling for about $350 to $370 on eBay meaning if I brought then sold the S1 (either because I didn't like EUC's or because I upgraded) the experiment will have cost me about $150.

Any thoughts on this plan of action from seasoned veterans? To add to this. I don't have a huge amount of cash available. I could pick up the S1 now. Waiting to have the money for the V5F+ could be a while.

Thanks in advance.

28 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Hello All,

New poster here but I want to start by saying thanks to all who have posted here in the past. I has been very helpful in my investigations of the different "wheel" options out there.

Amazon has the Segway One S1 as their daily deal today at $479 with free shipping for Prime members (I also get a 5% discount). With tax and discount this puts it at $486. A pretty good deal. The V5F+ is on sale at ewheels for $895 and they are awaiting stock.

I know the S1 is an inferior product to the V5F+ and I've already decided that I want a V5F+ ultimately. The plan is to use the wheel for 5 mile each way summer commutes to and from work in FL as cycling has just become a sweaty unpleasant endeavor in this heat and humidity. I like the V5F+ because of the few extra MPH and the range. I'm not looking to be a speed demon. I've no desire to eat blacktop at speed but like the fact that the V5F+ will deal with my daily activities with plenty of additional speed and battery reserve to minimize the risk of it folding under me. That said the S1 is being sold at a very competitive price.

Even though I want the V5F+ I'm thinking of getting the S1 initially due to the daily deal price. I'm loathe to drop nearly a thousand bucks on the V5F+ to experiment with a device I may not even like or may not be practical for my intended use. I also like the idea of scratching up and S1 while learning to ride a EUC and the getting the V5F+ once proficient. Used S1's are selling for about $350 to $370 on eBay meaning if I brought then sold the S1 (either because I didn't like EUC's or because I upgraded) the experiment will have cost me about $150.

Any thoughts on this plan of action from seasoned veterans? To add to this. I don't have a huge amount of cash available. I could pick up the S1 now. Waiting to have the money for the V5F+ could be a while.

Thanks in advance.

I am not so good in Ninebots, but is an "S1" not only a 155wh version, and the s2 is the 310wh version?

If so....the s1 is a bad deal.....take your money and save it for the v5f+.....its a mich better machine, with better/more batterie, what not only means range, but especially Safety!!!

2 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I am not so good in Ninebots, but is an "S1" not only a 155wh version, and the s2 is the 310wh version?

If so....the s1 is a bad deal.....take your money and save it for the v5f+.....its a mich better machine, with better/more batterie, what not only means range, but especially Safety!!!

i checked....Sorry, the S1 is the 310wh product....but nonetheless...the v5f+ (orV8) is amuch better idea!

Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate the input from those who have been there.

Obviously this post is really only relevant today while the daily deal is available. Once the S1 returns to the normal $599 price (plus tax) the option of the V5F+ becomes more of a no-brainer.

I think the Segway One S1 makes a good backup wheel to keep in the car as a "last mile" option; if you don't want to spend the coin on an IPS I5 then perhaps this Segway, especially at this price, might fit the bill even though it's a bit bigger and heavier.  I don't think it makes for a good primary wheel if you're an avid EUCer.

10 minutes ago, RichieV said:

I think the Segway One S1 makes a good backup wheel to keep in the car as a "last mile" option; if you don't want to spend the coin on an IPS I5 then perhaps this Segway, especially at this price, might fit the bill even though it's a bit bigger and heavier.  I don't think it makes for a good primary wheel if you're an avid EUCer.

That's what I think, even down to the I5 Option.

However, be mindful the 30 pound One does not have a trolley thereby making it painful to move it around once you actually get to your destination.

I have a V5F+, my first wheel, and i am in love with the design, features and performance. I can recommend the V5F+ for city riding, I have a 4.5km or 2.5 mi or so, ride each way to work and i get there in 20 minutes.

However, I have outgrown it to some extent, I do crave more power!

...MORE POWAH!

Edit: @Dingfelder is right, my weight is about 66kg or 145-150 lbs, so I am pretty light. When I carry groceries, I notice the difference for my wheel, and take it slow. That's a part of the power thing I mentioned.

If you want a cheap practice wheel, you can always get the usual ebay Step N Roll for $230.  It's a lot cheaper experiment.

I hope you are keeping in mind how your weight affects all your choices.  The Inmotion wheels get enough rave reviews for me to trust they are good wheels, but you need to be light enough to ride them unless you want to risk underperformance.  I probably would have bought one until i realized they are built for lighter riders.

Archived