Exploratory Mountain Ride above Duarte - 11Mar2017

Marty Backe

Now that the ground is dry I'm going to attempt to explore this mountain again. There's some real potential for mountain fun in this area. If anyone wants to join me for some adventure this Saturday, please do so. No guarantees on what we'll find, but that's the fun. In the worse case scenario we will ride around the Sante Fe Dam and adjoining river trails, which I am familiar with.

Departure will be ~9am at this location: https://goo.gl/maps/TXKWu1kXzr92   There is plenty of parking in the area.

Please respond to this post if you will joining the adventure and I'll wait for you.

@jrkline @noisycarlos @Questor @nbxpq3 @Sketch @Roll Model @enigma35 @csmyers @swvision  @Ando Melkonyan @abinder3 @captainwells

Thanks for the invite @Marty Backe.  I think that I'll have to sit this ride out.  (Heaven knows that one of those 'sits'  I did Saturday at our group ride definitely showed I know how to 'sit' with style!)

If you should ever go around the Sante Fe Dam and river trails there, I'd probably be up for that.
(Even as much problems that I had on the group ride on Saturday, I still had lots of fun.  And thanks for being patient with me !!!)

Allen

2 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Thanks for the invite @Marty Backe.  I think that I'll have to sit this ride out.  (Heaven knows that one of those 'sits'  I did Saturday at our group ride definitely showed I know how to 'sit' with style!)

If you should ever go around the Sante Fe Dam and river trails there, I'd probably be up for that.
(Even as much problems that I had on the group ride on Saturday, I still had lots of fun.  And thanks for being patient with me !!!)

Allen

No problem Allen. I'll always make a point of inviting everyone with no expectations that anyone will join me - therefore I'm never disappointed ;)

I have a ~35+ mile river ride planned out that can be lots of fun. Includes many twisty park rides along the way. It entails the southern San Gabriel  and Coyote Creek rivers.

Glad you enjoyed Saturday, I know I did.

See you soon,
   Marty

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

No problem Allen. I'll always make a point of inviting everyone with no expectations that anyone will join me - therefore I'm never disappointed ;)

I have a ~35+ mile river ride planned out that can be lots of fun. Includes many twisty park rides along the way. It entails the southern San Gabriel  and Coyote Creek rivers.

Glad you enjoyed Saturday, I know I did.

See you soon,
   Marty

Yea.  I'm also really glad that I got the KingSong 18.  I woudn't of been able to do the riding that we did on my V8 since it doesn't have the ability to go the miles that we did.

Thanks again.

Allen

1 hour ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Sounds like fun. If only i get my acm by then. Which i doubt i will ☹️

There will be plenty more future rides. And if this exploratory ride works out we'll definitely ride here again. I know the feeling of waiting for a new wheel.

1 minute ago, jrkline said:

I'll be there to test out my new and improved 2000wh ACM:w00t2:

Great! But your wheel may be getting too heavy for mountain riding :unsure:

17 minutes ago, captainwells said:

I'll be there!  Thanks @Marty Backe for organizing these rides.  I really enjoyed the last one.  :D

Cool. I've been scoping it out again with Google Earth any other resources. Looks very promising. The last time I got to the trail head but everything was still muddy so I had to abandon the effort.

I'm still undecided on what wheel to bring, but I'm leaning towards the MSuper. I'll probably bring the ACM too and flip a coin maybe :)

Here's the trail head: https://goo.gl/maps/54jFXyv1nEE2   If you have Google Earth you can get a feel for the terrain on this trail.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm still undecided on what wheel to bring, but I'm leaning towards the MSuper. I'll probably bring the ACM too and flip a coin maybe :)

I was gonna ask you which one you're bringing.  I ordered the ACM 1600Wh and the Rockwheel GT16 after our last ride, but they won't be here in time.

How far do you think we'll go?  I'm hoping my KingSong 16S will arrive this week, but it might not have the necessary range. On our last ride, @Ando Melkonyan was limping home at under 20% on my ACM 820Wh.  I'm leaning toward the Monster to elminate range anxiety.  Got a feel for how many steep hills we'll encounter?  Maybe I'll try your calibration trick.

How do you find all of these great places to ride?

18 minutes ago, captainwells said:

I was gonna ask you which one you're bringing.  I ordered the ACM 1600Wh and the Rockwheel GT16 after our last ride, but they won't be here in time.

How far do you think we'll go?  I'm hoping my KingSong 16S will arrive this week, but it might not have the necessary range. On our last ride, @Ando Melkonyan was limping home at under 20% on my ACM 820Wh.  I'm leaning toward the Monster to elminate range anxiety.  Got a feel for how many steep hills we'll encounter?  Maybe I'll try your calibration trick.

How do you find all of these great places to ride?

We'll have to talk more tomorrow (Venice Beach run).

You bought the GT16! That is very cool, and I can't wait to see it and hear your thoughts. I'm really intrigued about that wheel, hoping that it actually has the power that I've been reading about. 

From the bits that I've found associated with this trail and what little I did see, I'm worried that the Monster might be too difficult to use. I think there's going to be a lot of hill climbing. This may be like the Fullerton Loop that @jrkline and I rode - 15 miles but 3 hours. This is certainly not going to be fast road riding.

On the plus side, the trail head is 1/4 mile from where we will be parking. We could take the Monster and if it's not working out, swap it out for the ACM. I think 820wh for your ACM or my MSuper will be fine. It's an adventure, so we'll just have to wing it.

I've been reading and exploring a lot for the past 6 months. There's tons for mountain bike riding in Southern California, and many of those trails work for us too.

If you're up for bringing the drone you might get some good footage here.

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

We'll have to talk more tomorrow (Venice Beach run).

I should have read this more closely last night.  That's twice now that I wish I had ridden the Monster instead.  Sorry I couldn't keep up.

You bought the GT16! That is very cool, and I can't wait to see it and hear your thoughts. I'm really intrigued about that wheel, hoping that it actually has the power that I've been reading about. 

I'm really excited about it, but it's difficult to get any sort of ETA from the vendors on AliExpress.  I should post my message thread with one of them.  It's comical.  I wish I spoke Chinese.

From the bits that I've found associated with this trail and what little I did see, I'm worried that the Monster might be too difficult to use. I think there's going to be a lot of hill climbing. This may be like the Fullerton Loop that @jrkline and I rode - 15 miles but 3 hours. This is certainly not going to be fast road riding.

On the plus side, the trail head is 1/4 mile from where we will be parking. We could take the Monster and if it's not working out, swap it out for the ACM. I think 820wh for your ACM or my MSuper will be fine. It's an adventure, so we'll just have to wing it.

If it's really that hilly, I'd be afraid of overheating the ACM.  I'll probably bring the MSuper v2 MS as a backup, but I need to test it before then to see if I can observe the "slipping" that you mentioned.

If you're up for bringing the drone you might get some good footage here.

I'll bring it, but I probably won't fly if it's crowded like Griffin Park last weekend.

1 hour ago, captainwells said:

<snip>

I'll bring it, but I probably won't fly if it's crowded like Griffin Park last weekend.

This will be desolate compared to last weekend. It's very rural. People go to Griffith to see the Observatory and hike to the Hollywood sign. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see anyone.

I should say that this ride has a slightly added risk in that if a wheel breaks down it might take half a day to walk back out. I suppose the same could be said of Griffith Park, but there are so many people there it doesn't seem so isolated. Imagine if a wheel died when we were at the Water Tank :cry2:

I think about that sometimes when I'm riding miles from the nearest car access; "what happens if my wheel dies on me". Fortunately they rarely die, but it happens. On the Fullerton Loop @jrkline had a fuse blow on his KS14C. Fortunately we were close to a road so he could get back to his truck. But it's a pain.

We shouldn't have any problems (unless @jrkline rolls his even heavier ACM down the hill again ;) ) I will be riding with a backpack for extra water and food - just in case.

On 8.3.2017 at 8:56 AM, captainwells said:

I ordered the ACM 1600Wh and the Rockwheel GT16 after our last ride, but they won't be here in time.

"Oh hey lalala, this week I ordered a 1600Wh ACM and the GT16. Not sure what next week's wheels will be..."

Ignore me, I'm just a little salty. Good on you! (and the wheel market. and people here wanting to hear about all kinds of wheels.). Gotta collect 'em all! (I would if I could)

Awesome wheels and awesome group rides in awesome weather...:thumbup: and here it's cold and rainy

51 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

Don't know if you've seen this Marty:

https://trails.lacounty.gov/Files/QuickGuide/VanTassel.pdf

The rattlesnakes occasionally sunning themselves might be something to really look out for.  Be safe out there everyone.

Allen

Yes I've seen that. Snakes are no match for a wheel - it'll be a game to see how many we can decapitate by rolling over them :D

29 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes I've seen that. Snakes are no match for a wheel - it'll be a game to see how many we can decapitate by rolling over them :D

Okay, just nobody get themselves bit; I need people to ride with in future rides !!!!

Allen

1 hour ago, captainwells said:

Unfortunately, something came up and I'm unable to join you guys tomorrow. 

Have fun!  I'm looking forward to the video. 

Ok, thanks for letting us know. It's been a few months since we've had warm weather mountain riding - I'm looking forward to it. Until next time ...

3 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Well..? how was it? any decapitated snakes left behind? 

It was really tough, and ultimately we had to give up. We then run the wheels on the road further up the mountain and tried another trail. We got further, but that too had to be abandoned as we were confronted with rock slides and deadfalls.

A fun adventure though. You had to get out and try different areas to find the gold nuggets. We road about 32 miles over 4 hours. I'm beat.

Video to follow...

4 hours ago, Ando Melkonyan said:

Well..? how was it? any decapitated snakes left behind? 

Here's a little taste of some of our fun...

Archived