Exploratory Mountain Ride above Duarte - 12Feb2017

Marty Backe

This Sunday I'm going to explore some trails above Duarte, beginning on the Van Tassel Mtwy and joining the Silver Fish Trunk Trail. May try to go to Monrovia Peak. Probably a 20+ mile ride. Since I've never ridden this area before the route will be fluid depending on conditions. If the trail is too muddy or otherwise impassible there are adjacent river trails and the Santa Fe Dam to explore.

If you want to join me I'll be starting at the Duarte Encanto Park at ~9:00am this Sunday (12Feb2017). There's parking in the Park and plenty of surrounding street parking.

https://goo.gl/maps/TXKWu1kXzr92

Post here if you'll be joining me.

19 minutes ago, abinder3 said:

You may want to put off that ride for another week.
We're suppose to get some pretty good rain this Friday afternoon into the night.

A lot of these mountain trails consist of sandy dirt that doesn't get too muddy. I'm going to give it a try, and like I said, if the conditions are too bad then I'll ride some of the cement river trails. Sunday looks to be a very pleasant day to enjoy some riding.

29 minutes ago, jrkline said:

Sounds good.Be sure to bring the ACM so I can evaluate more before I get wheel #10!

I'm still babying my ACM, but eventually I'll loan it out after I've given it some personal wear-and-tear ;-)

On 2/14/2017 at 9:58 AM, abinder3 said:

@Marty Backe, how was the ride on Sunday?
(I may be getting a KingSong 18 or the new Kingsong 16s when it comes out.  Maybe I'll be able to 'hang' with your longer rides then.)

Allen

Nobody showed, so it was a solo ride. I rode from Downey up to the base of the San Gabriel mountains and back ~60 miles.  The trail up into the mountains looks promising, but it was too muddy. Looks like my trail riding days are over until we get some extended dry weather.

I'll keep posting ride announcements here - maybe there will be more interest in the summer...

1 minute ago, abinder3 said:

I picked up my KS18 1360wh yesterday at FedEx. 

Now if i I can only find a day where it's dry here in El Segundo. 

Congrats on the wheel. You must be excited

El Segundo?

I take a beach ride from El Segundo (Sepulveda & Imperial Hwy) just about every week (usually Wednesday ~1pm - a looong lunch break). Last Wednesday I rode the Monster up the bike path to Santa Monica Pier and back - a good 25 - 30 mile ride. From Venice Beach to the Pier is some fantastic path riding if you like to ride curves fast. Other weeks I ride south to Redondo Beach.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Congrats on the wheel. You must be excited

El Segundo?

I take a beach ride from El Segundo (Sepulveda & Imperial Hwy) just about every week (usually Wednesday ~1pm - a looong lunch break). Last Wednesday I rode the Monster up the bike path to Santa Monica Pier and back - a good 25 - 30 mile ride. From Venice Beach to the Pier is some fantastic path riding if you like to ride curves fast. Other weeks I ride south to Redondo Beach.

With my V8, I was only able to ride from Playa Del Rey (drove my car there) and follow the bike down to Hermosa pier. Then I'd turn around and follow the bike path back to Playa Del Rey; total of about 15 - 16 miles.  My V8 would have about 25% battery left from the 100%. 

When i get use to riding my KS18, I want to ride from Playa Del Rey to Pacific Palisades, turn around and head south to Torrance Beach, and then turn around and head back north to Playa Del Rey. About 42 miles. 

I'm all about word or thought association. So on that vein I thought of this when reading about your weather tribulations.   If your younger than 35, you may have to wait about 1 minute or so so get it.

Or... You could just read the embedded title. ?

59 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I'm all about word or thought association. So on that vein I thought of this when reading about your weather tribulations.   If your younger than 35, you may have to wait about 1 minute or so so get it.

Or... You could just read the embedded title. ?

This song is a total fabrication :furious:  I tell you, it's very frustrating to have put up with 1 to 2 months of periodic rain per year. Fortunately this only happens every few years :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This song is a total fabrication :furious:  I tell you, it's very frustrating to have put up with 1 to 2 months of periodic rain per year. Fortunately this only happens every few years :thumbup:

Yeah, my heart totally bleeds for you. ? .  Back in good old England we get 1 to 2 months of periodic rain....every month.  I hear Sea Doo is designing an EUC specifically for the UK weather.

anyway, you didn't listen to it all.  Right after he says it never rains.. He says "man, it pours" so in a way he agrees with you even if you were being ironic, or scar-sastic or what ever that was. ?

2 hours ago, abinder3 said:

With my V8, I was only able to ride from Playa Del Rey (drove my car there) and follow the bike down to Hermosa pier. Then I'd turn around and follow the bike path back to Playa Del Rey; total of about 15 - 16 miles.  My V8 would have about 25% battery left from the 100%. 

When i get use to riding my KS18, I want to ride from Playa Del Rey to Pacific Palisades, turn around and head south to Torrance Beach, and then turn around and head back north to Playa Del Rey. About 42 miles. 

I've ridden it all, but not on one day. Given the headwinds and slow-downs due to people, your future ride will probably take a good 4 hours. Playa Del Rey to Pacific Palisades and back takes ~2 hours (from my personal experience).

Let me know if you ever want to do a group ride there. I would recommend the northern route because we can ride thru Venice Beach which is always fun, and we can be part of the spectacle that everyone goes there to see :popcorn:

4 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Yeah, my heart totally bleeds for you. ? .  Back in good old England we get 1 to 2 months of periodic rain....every month.  I hear Sea Doo is designing an EUC specifically for the UK weather.

anyway, you didn't listen to it all.  Right after he says it never rains.. He says "man, it pours" so in a way he agrees with you even if you were being ironic, or scar-sastic or what ever that was. ?

Very funny, your England comment :D

Yeah, that song is from my youth - it's a favorite of mine. I grew up in Chicago in the 60's & 70's - never would have imagined at the time that I would eventually live my adult life in California, but now it's all I know.  I do feel for folks who have to plan around weather all the time.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've ridden it all, but not on one day. Given the headwinds and slow-downs due to people, your future ride will probably take a good 4 hours. Playa Del Rey to Pacific Palisades and back takes ~2 hours (from my personal experience).

Let me know if you ever want to do a group ride there. I would recommend the northern route because we can ride thru Venice Beach which is always fun, and we can be part of the spectacle that everyone goes there to see :popcorn:

Sounds like a great plan when I get comfortable on my KS18. 

Thanks. 

Allen

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 10:51 PM, abinder3 said:

I picked up my KS18 1360wh yesterday at FedEx. 

Now if i I can only find a day where it's dry here in El Segundo. 

You picked the 1360wh KS18, but not the 1680wh? Is it 1200W?

I'm in San Gabriel CA, and riding KS14 840wh and Ninebot e+, thinking to upgrade to ewheel KS18 1200W 1680wh so that I can group ride on trail with Marty.

2 hours ago, nbxpq3 said:

I'm in San Gabriel CA, and riding KS14 840wh and Ninebot e+, thinking to upgrade to ewheel KS18 1200W 1680wh so that I can group ride on trail with Marty.

You don't need to upgrade to go group riding with 840wh.Most of the rides we do are less than 30 miles.It never hurts to have extended range but it isn't mandatory.

39 minutes ago, jrkline said:

You don't need to upgrade to go group riding with 840wh.Most of the rides we do are less than 30 miles.It never hurts to have extended range but it isn't mandatory.

Absolutely agree. And @jrkline and myself both ride the KS14C and have done so on our group rides. It's a great wheel. Hope you can join us on a future ride.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:14 PM, abinder3 said:

I do that ride about once a week, starting from Manhattan Beach.  It's fun!  Can't wait to do it on my new Monster.

I'm interested in joining the next group ride. 

1 hour ago, captainwells said:

I do that ride about once a week, starting from Manhattan Beach.  It's fun!  Can't wait to do it on my new Monster.

I'm interested in joining the next group ride. 

What do you currently ride? I'm accumulating a list of Southern California riders that get added to the group ride distribution list. So far most of the widely attended group rides have taken place in the Griffith Park area. But with you and @abinder3 we could get at least three riders, and @noisycarlos and @jrkline might be interested in a beach ride also. The 4th or 5th is due for warmer and dryer weather. Maybe it would be worthwhile planning for the next group ride on that weekend?

Archived