ESL or English as a Second Language on this board

Smoother

7 minutes ago, esaj said:

Umm, no, in English, the names of the languages are always capitalized. ;)  I have a faint memory of my English teacher pointing out that I made the mistake of not capitalizing language names...

Capitalization: The Names Of Countries, Nationalities, And Specific Languages

Countries, nationalities, and languages are always capitalized as they are proper nouns.

See also: Proper Nouns and Words Derived from Them

English is made up of many languages, including Latin, German, and French.

My mother is British, and my father is Dutch.

The Mennonites began to worship in the Netherlands in the 16th century.

While Americans are very proud of their current nationality, most can trace their roots back to Europe or Africa.

Oh my god! My English is so bad I just got schooled by a Suomalaiset.  I guess I need to go back to remedial English class.  Eh, flock it I'm retired, that sounds like work. See I told you guys you have my respect ?

Just now, Smoother said:

Oh my god! My English is so bad I just got schooled by a Suomalaiset.  I guess I need to go back to remedial English class.  Eh, flock it I'm retired, that sounds like work. See I told you guys you have my respect ?

:D  Guess there's a small grammar-nazi living inside me... :smartass:  Don't sweat it, that's a pretty minor mistake, not to mention that I do typos and suck at punctuation all the time myself ;):P  Go read some Youtube-comments to see some pretty horrible English, and more often than not, from native English-speakers... :huh:

Btw, "Suomalaiset" is plural form (meaning multiple Finnish people or Finnish people in general), the singular form is "suomalainen", and in Finnish, nationalities and language names are written without capitalization.

Me? I picks me up the speak from that tellyvisioning of Popeye, Bugs Bunny and them other cartoons.

Learning a language is fun, just like learning to ride an EUC. Leaning badly on a wheel may result in a faceplant. Conjugating badly in a language, you may also get a faceplant.:cry2:

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:29 PM, Smoother said:

Sweden, Norway, Finland ( or is it Suomi?) ---  How do you do it?

Where did you learn your English?

Maybe not so known fact but apart of the multiply (foreign) languages taught at schools another "factor" helps with English knowledge in Nordics (Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway). Most of the TV shows and Movies are broadcast at TV in the original language (usually English) with subtitles rather than dubbed (also most of the cinema releases). The exclusion of the "rule" are shows and movies for the youngest ones.

Actually I did know that, I used to date a Swedish lady, back in England, and she told me that.  Mind you, I've seen quite a few foreign films and Tv's shows in the original language with subtitles and I learned absolutely nothing, except maybe "hey do" not sure of the spelling. Shows like arvingerne (Denmark), all three dragon tattoo films, Wallander, Vikings, .  Jean de Florette trilogy (Frrench). Didn't learn a thing.

she tried to teach me a Swedish tongue twister. I told her anything in Swedish is a tongue twister . It went something like this (in English obvs.). The six, sick, seamen, something, something, something.  Anyone care to type that up in Swedish?

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

she tried to teach me a Swedish tongue twister. I told her anything in Swedish is a tongue twister . It went something like this (in English obvs.). The six, sick, seamen, something, something, something.  Anyone care to type that up in Swedish?

Probably this one:

Sju sjösjuka sjömän sköttes av sju sköna sjuksköterskor.
Seven seasick sailors were nursed by seven beautiful nurses.

More here ...

Yep that must have been it.  I was LMAO at all the tongue twisters you linked too.  I'm SOOO glad I didn't pick Swedish at school.  No, wait, it wasn't offered.  I'm going to listen to the other languages listed.  Maybe even try a few of the English one's.

On 11/22/2016 at 11:30 AM, Smoother said:

Jean de Florette trilogy (Frrench). Didn't learn a thing.

Me too, but really liked the films, also Babette's feast was interesting, a French chef living in Norway or Sweden who got sick of eating boiled fish and made all kinds of exotic food for her benefactors.

It kind of bugs me when people can pick up a language watching TV.  I wish I had that gift, reminds me of the joke where the comedian went to sleep with a language learning CD and it started skipping so he could only speak the language with a stutter.:P

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

@steve454 new Avitar i see. Curley? Care to explain? And what's with "454" engine or caliber ?

Curley was my favorite of the Stooges, and I just wanted to see if I could put a moving avatar in.  My younger brother had an old Chevy Camaro that someone put a souped up 454 engine in that he used to street race with.  Once when home on leave, we went riding in it, that car had so much power it made me really like that engine. Big block Chevy, yeah!:thumbup:

Archived