eucs with NO batteries are still not allowed on passenger airlines

John Eucist

EDIT: Apparently this has been mentioned before multiple times by @KingSong69.

@jrkline learned the hard way.  He removed all the batteries and Air Canada still wouldn't allow him to take it on the plane.  He was even willing to disassemble the shell to prove there's no batteries inside.  This needs to be more widely known in the community hence why I posted it here.  He posted about this in "Local Group Meet Ups" which doesn't get the exposure as things posted in "General".

2 hours ago, John Eucist said:

@jrkline learned the hard way.  He removed all the batteries and Air Canada still wouldn't allow him to take it on the plane.  He was even willing to disassemble the shell to prove there's no batteries inside.  This needs to be more widely known in the community hence why I posted it here.  He posted about this in "Local Group Meet Ups" which doesn't get the exposure as things posted in "General".

I reported the same story in the "batterie airplane" thread...or so...Not only once....

So this is no "new" story. about 95% of all airlines have banned EUCs, hoverboard and segway type vehicles in general!

Some "check in Supervisors" will allow you to bring it with you if without batteries...but normally they insist on the vehicle rule that they are generally forbidden ....with or without batteries...or with batteries lower 160wh...its all forbidden because of the type of vehicle...

You remember John? Thats why my Ks16 has to stay in Bangkok :-(

20 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I reported the same story in the "batterie airplane" thread...or so...Not only once....

So this is no "new" story. about 95% of all airlines have banned EUCs, hoverboard and segway type vehicles in general!

Some "check in Supervisors" will allow you to bring it with you if without batteries...but normally they insist on the vehicle rule that they are generally forbidden ....with or without batteries...or with batteries lower 160wh...its all forbidden because of the type of vehicle...

You remember John? Thats why my Ks16 has to stay in Bangkok :-(

Sorry I wasn't aware of that when I posted it.  :innocent1:  I guess it doesn't hurt to mention it again to minimize people getting their eucs confiscated at the airports.

2 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Sorry I wasn't aware of that when I posted it.  :innocent1:  I guess it doesn't hurt to mention it again to minimize people getting their eucs confiscated at the airports.

Yes, its very good to give this a own thread! And you dont have to say Sorry, please :-)

Unfortunatly some people believe, that because there wheel has only 132wh or under 160wh, they are allowed to bring it on plane! 

But this works only on the small numbers of c(national?) carriers,which have not implemented a rule to the batterie transportation devices.

Allmost all international carriers have forbidden our lovely devices.....

After the recent Samsung Note palava we can expect, if anything, there will be ratcheting up of battery travel restrictions in the future. 

Fundamentally the core problem is that there is no incentive for any airline or Airport authority to grant special dispensation of any battery powered equipment now.

The only way out of this impasse, as I can see it, is that IATA cracks down on bad cells & imposes stringent rules for manufacturers:

1. Airworthiness certification on a cell basis, all of the rest are banned unless explicitly tested/approved at the cell level. Legitimate/approved cells can be RFID tagged, or a  signature that shows up on X-Ray
  2. Cells must possess certain properties: PTC, thermal run-away >175°C, venting 
  3. Use of an inert fire-suppressant packaging that can contain a single aberrant cell   

57 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

How do euc companies ship their stuff nowadays then?  Literally by "ship" in containers only?  Or are certain air CARGO carriers more lenient?

Our EUCs can still be flown by Cargo plane...its declared as dangerous goods then...and you need to do a certain amount of paperwork and need a "certified" sender/handler...

Thats also how some aliexpress seller handle this.

Bigger shipments to reseller sometimes go by container/sea....

22 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Thats also how some aliexpress seller handle this.

Actually in many cases they intentionally misrepresent the shipping manifest. If they were to legitimately use the DG declaration, shipping costs would be at least double than what they are.

1 minute ago, Jason McNeil said:

Actually in many cases they intentionally misrepresent the shipping manifest. If they were to legitimately use the DG declaration, shipping costs would be at least double than what they are.

Wow that should be a serious crime.  Endangering the cargo pilot.

Air Canada sucks.  :furious:  Without batteries the wheel is just an electic motor with associated parts.  Maybe he should have dismantled the wheel completely so it was unrecognizable.  Pack the motor/tire in his check in bag or put it into a box for check in and pack the rest in a separate suitcase/carry on.  Put down that it is an electric motor spare part.  On xray scan it will just show up as a motor.

What are they going to say, electric motors can't be shipped?  So did he have to give it up or was he able to leave the security area to give it to someone to help ship it to him?  Or maybe he could have mailed the wheel back home.

21 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

I can only speak about my experiences:

And in this cases there have been all warning signs, stamps, declarations etceetc on the package.

one for Dangerous Goods, one for Lithium batteries, one for Overpack of Li-ion(more than 300wh)....

So "actually in many cases" they have done it correct ;-)

25 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Air Canada sucks.  :furious:  Without batteries the wheel is just an electic motor with associated parts.  Maybe he should have dismantled the wheel completely so it was unrecognizable.  Pack the motor/tire in his check in bag or put it into a box fo check in and pack the rest in a separate suitcase/carry on.  Put down that it is an electric motor spare part.  On xray scan it will just show up as a motor.

What are they going to say, electric motors can't be shipped?  So did he have to give it up or was he able to leave the security area to give it to someone to help ship it to him?  Or maybe he could have mailed the wheel back home.

i have thought this all, too....on the day when they wont let me bring my empty ks16 in the luggage....

But these "check in  supervisors"....some have just no clue whats the purpose of this rule....

My bangkok "supervisor" really told me: "EUC's are even dangerous without batteries....and can be NEVER transported by plane"...

what really makes me angry, is the fact that i have asked emirates supervisor in Germany and dubai before, if its ok to bring in  the EUC without batteries...both said " no batteries...no problem"....but this clueless Thai supervisor thought otherwise!

Just don't mention the four letter swear / terrorist words "self-balancing" or "hoverboard," and all should be fine.  For screeners I think they have a well defined list of items that are forbidden, and any trigger words will set their alarms off.  They may not understand or care about technicalities.  It might be like saying "This is a landmine, but the fuse trigger and explosives have been removed so it won't be an issue."  All they hear is landmine.

Just say "Electric motor."  If they ask what is it for?  Home bike project/metal salvage/Techno Art piece.  The key is to dismantle the EUC so it is unrecognizable by Joe Screener.  Maybe even take off the tire.  Before getting into EUCs, I remember seeing photos of these hub motors without tires on AliEx, and I thought that is the weirdest looking thing.  It doesn't even look like a typical motor.  Under an xray scanner it likely just looks like some electronics part.

I agree to everyone who says that without batteries our beloved devices should be accepted on airplanes, at least on cargo ones. 

Nevertheless, I also understand air carriers prohibitions for Lithium batteries. I worked 15 years for one of them and in 2006 they "lost" an airplane due to hidden dangerous goods - - > called Lithium batteries... 

If the fire on board would have started only a few minutes earlier quite some people would have died. 

Apart from all this it's very disappointing not to be able to carry our wheels with us on holidays, no question... 

Thanks for this, I was having a 'heated' conversation on one of the Facebook groups the other month. 
The other chap simply wouldn't have it that EUC's are 'generally' banned on aircraft.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived