Drink and Drive

Snurre

I found this in today's newspaper and thought it may be of interest (my translation from Swedish):

"0.196% (196 mg/dL) blood alcohol was the measured level of a 33 year old who was stopped by police when driving a stand-up wheel (Segway) in Oslo 2014. The supreme court in Norway is deciding if it is illegal to drive stand-up wheels under influence of alcohol. The question is whether a stand-up wheel should be considered a motor vehicle."

It seems a bit over the edge to me unless he was being reckless. To be fair, this could just as well have happened in Sweden. 

(Screenshot of original article here)

23 minutes ago, Snurre said:

I found this in today's newspaper and thought it may be of interest (my translation from Swedish):

"0.196% (196 mg/dL) blood alcohol was the measured level of a 33 year old who was stopped by police when driving a stand-up wheel (Segway) in Oslo 2014. The supreme court in Norway is deciding if it is illegal to drive stand-up wheels under influence of alcohol. The question is whether a stand-up wheel should be considered a motor vehicle."

It seems a bit over the edge to me unless he was being reckless. To be fair, this could just as well have happened in Sweden. 

Does  police stop and prosecute all those drunk bicyclists?

@Snurre, Segway's wasn't allowed in 2014 either... Private areas only.

As it is now - max. alcohol level for car drivers is 0,2 promille (0,02% ?). Same rule applies for electric selfbalancing vehicles.

13 minutes ago, HEC said:

Does  police stop and prosecute all those drunk bicyclists?

No they don't. But it is equally illegal to drink and ride a bicycle...

43 minutes ago, Vik's said:

But it is equally illegal to drink and ride a bicycle...

Yes, you are right, @Vik's. I was equating the Segway to a bike and it is a common view that it is OK to ride that when going home from the pub. But as you say, that is technically illegal if you are drunk. I was thinking that I would some day take the wheel to the pub but on second thought I guess I better not - even though I never reach the alcohol levels in the article.

4 minutes ago, Snurre said:

Yes, you are right, @Vik's. I was equating the Segway to a bike and it is a common view that it is OK to ride that when going home from the pub. But as you say, that is technically illegal if you are drunk. I was thinking that I would some day take the wheel to the pub but on second thought I guess I better not - even though I never reach the alcohol levels in the article.

I was thinking about the possibillity to take my wheel(-s) to the pub too, but then discarded the thought. I am never too drunk either but maybe that is why I want to be a responsible person...

59 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

Amen...

stay safe

we want all of you around here for a very long time to come

If I drink and ride after that and injure someone I always have to think about if that also may happen without drinking.

I have no idea what the law would say about alcohol and EUC over here - they are only just starting to think about even including EUC in some new amendment.

I do wonder though, if I wasn't sure that I was safe to drive, should an EUC be considered a safer option?  

43 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I have no idea what the law would say about alcohol and EUC over here - they are only just starting to think about even including EUC in some new amendment.

I do wonder though, if I wasn't sure that I was safe to drive, should an EUC be considered a safer option?  

of course NOT.... as we all know. balancing on some gyroscopically-mediated electronic unicycle takes a blood alcohol concentration of 0

13 hours ago, Snurre said:

"0.196% (196 mg/dL) blood alcohol was the measured level of a 33 year old who was stopped by police when driving a stand-up wheel (Segway) in Oslo 2014. The supreme court in Norway is deciding if it is illegal to dr

Fortunately in Sweden segways and other self-balancing stand-up wheels with a top speed of 20 kmh are legally considered bikes and therefore (although not recommended) not illegal to drive in combination with alcohol. "Styrfylla" (drunk-biking) is not illegal per se in Sweden. However it could be considered "vårdslöshet i trafik" (reckless behavior in traffic).

1 hour ago, JonTheMad said:

Fortunately in Sweden segways and other self-balancing stand-up wheels with a top speed of 20 kmh are legally considered bikes and therefore (although not recommended) not illegal to drive in combination with alcohol. "Styrfylla" (drunk-biking) is not illegal per se in Sweden. However it could be considered "vårdslöshet i trafik" (reckless behavior in traffic).

Interesting

i suppose your government is trying to PERSUADE folks to use a NON MOTORIZED method of travel when drinking

anyone who thinks he/she can operate and EUC while intoxicated, effectively is, of course, sadly mistaken

9 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

Interesting

anyone who thinks he/she can operate and EUC while intoxicated, effectively is, of course, sadly mistaken

That is interesting...

While I understand your point, and even agree with it (to a point), there is a very different culture down here in Australasia.

If someone had had a few drinks, and "needed" to shoot out to pick up a curry, I would rather they did it on an EUC than in a car.

While I expect to get some flak for saying this, it is a better choice than some of the options? 

15 hours ago, Vik's said:

No they don't. But it is equally illegal to drink and ride a bicycle...

In Norway it is not illegal to drink and bicycle, i.e. there is no limit to blood alcohol like it is for cars which is regulated by Road Traffic Act §22. You are however not allowed to ride a bicycle if you cannot drive it safely (Road Traffic Act §21) - and there is always §3 that gives the basic general rules of carefulness, thoughtfulness and watchfulness.

Self balancing vehicles (as they are named in Norwegian Road Traffic Act) have been refereed to as motorized vehicles up until now. It is now up to the Supreme Court to decide if this is a correct assumption or not. Hopefully they will add nuance to the picture. Today they are largely governed by the same laws as for tractors, steamrollers, excavators and their likes in traffic - with some exceptions. There is for example no room for a  vehicle that has no well defined front and back since there must be a read reflector behind and a white in front. Same for light, but it is a lot easier to switch color of the light than the color of a reflector...

29 minutes ago, Frode said:

In Norway it is not illegal to drink and bicycle, i.e. there is no limit to blood alcohol like it is for cars which is regulated by Road Traffic Act §22. You are however not allowed to ride a bicycle if you cannot drive it safely (Road Traffic Act §21) - and there is always §3 that gives the basic general rules of carefulness, thoughtfulness and watchfulness.

Self balancing vehicles (as they are named in Norwegian Road Traffic Act) have been refereed to as motorized vehicles up until now. It is now up to the Supreme Court to decide if this is a correct assumption or not. Hopefully they will add nuance to the picture. Today they are largely governed by the same laws as for tractors, steamrollers, excavators and their likes in traffic - with some exceptions. There is for example no room for a  vehicle that has no well defined front and back since there must be a read reflector behind and a white in front. Same for light, but it is a lot easier to switch color of the light than the color of a reflector...

wow....

love reading this information because learning something new is always fascinating to me

thanks for the explanation

it makes a lot more sense to me now

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

That is interesting...

While I understand your point, and even agree with it (to a point), there is a very different culture down here in Australasia.

If someone had had a few drinks, and "needed" to shoot out to pick up a curry, I would rather they did it on an EUC than in a car.

While I expect to get some flak for saying this, it is a better choice than some of the options? 

i understand... being intoxicated on an EUC.... in theory put YOUR OWN life in danger more than that of another

theoretically, crashing an EUC while operating it under the influence COULD injure innocent bystanders but not as much (most of the time) as if he/she were operating a motor vehicle

thanks for your thought

they make sense to me

14 hours ago, OliverH said:

Very easy: Don't drink and drive ;)

Take fun out of life...(

dont know about you guys, but after i have a couple of beers, riding feels smooooth. Imseem to get more relaxed and skillful on my wheel. :) 

Archived