High-voltage battery meltdown

dmethvin

The high-voltage battery on my 2002 Toyota Prius caught fire and destroyed the car today. I had gone to the store to get a bigger USB memory key so I could fix my notebook (another long story) and when I came out I saw what looked like moisture condensing on the inside of the windows. When I opened the door I could smell smoke though, so I grabbed a few things and called the fire department. By the time they arrived the car had a pretty good flame coming out of the trunk. They knocked it down with a dry extinguisher and then sprayed a bunch of water in the car to put out the upholstery.

https://goo.gl/photos/GUgdQUSgHx8EdoyM7

Damn.  :blink:  Sorry to hear that happened.  Thankfully there were no injuries.  I can't imagine if there was like a kid strapped into the back seat, parking it in the garage, or what we always hear about on the news.  Are you going to contact Toyota to see if there is anything they can help you out with?  Have you been servicing it at Toyota?  I wonder if some road debris or corrosion allowed some cells to be exposed or get shorted.

http://www.priusonline.com/8-toyota-prius-general-discussion/15447-la-times-article-prius-fire-battery-issues.html#/topics/15447?_k=qjgisg

@dmethvin sorry to hear what happened and glad nobody was injured. I'm sure you will be compensated by Toyota and/or your insurance.  But damn that was scary.

25 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If the FAA hear about it, we will all be banned from flying with them. 

Sarcasm noted. :D  On a serious note, I really support the rules about restricting high Wh batteries on passenger flights.

On 10/2/2016 at 7:21 PM, dmethvin said:

The high-voltage battery on my 2002 Toyota Prius

@dmethvin is that a hybrid from 2002?  Wow, you got a long life out of it.  How many times did you have to replace the battery pack?  I read that they are made up of 18650 batteries, hundreds joined together and that's why it is so expensive to replace.

14 hours ago, steve454 said:

@dmethvin is that a hybrid from 2002?  Wow, you got a long life out of it.  How many times did you have to replace the battery pack?  I read that they are made up of 18650 batteries, hundreds joined together and that's why it is so expensive to replace.

They're Nickel Metal Hydride, I am not sure they had Lithium-Ion perfected back then and even if they did it's not a very friendly technology for a car where the temps can be pretty high. It's a specially made battery pack with big old cells, you can get new cells to fix an old battery. I never had to replace or repair the battery, and there wasn't any maintenance required supposedly!

Archived