Going backwards

Flash

On 8 October 2016 at 4:03 AM, 16bitSprite said:

I learnt by traveling up and down the hallway.

My advice ...

Don't practice by traveling up and down a hallway.... unless you like patching up foot pedal shaped holes in gyprock.

:wacko:

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.  That was priceless.

then this joker chimed in and I nearly snorted tea out my nose

On 8 October 2016 at 0:42 PM, Keith said:

Definitely agree and would add: don't practice in the kitchen either, unless you can convince your wife the dents in the dishwasher are panel lines that were always there!

But seriously this is what I have been doing wrong

On 10 October 2016 at 8:11 AM, Jose Otal said:

put La Mirada to the Horizon and avoid looking down, and train horn gain confidence,

I knew I was doing something wrong with La Mirada, and don't get me started on that train horn!! ??

just kidding @Jose Otal I know google translate is to blame.

I got it this way.

In an empty parking lot go forward slow to a line marker for between cars, reverse just 1 line, stop go forwards.

Then do two and so on.

And to get better use the end on the same lines as slalom marks, weaving left and right.

And like most all things muscle memory is best programmed by 15 minutes minimum per day of intense concentration, best to not miss a day, being much better than an hour once a week.

Also train in your mind just before bed, be there confidently riding under full control backwards!

As when learning forwards figure 8s are good practise, also applies to reverse, I got this on an EUC but still fail on my pedal uni as backwards circles are just so difficult at my age.

I just once just for the challenge FULLY suited up, full face motor cycle helmet,  hit my first beep backwards at 25 kph, but will NEVER do it again, just had to see if I could be so stupid.

ukj

16 minutes ago, UKJ said:

In an empty parking lot go forward slow to a line marker for between cars, reverse just 1 line, stop go forwards.

Oh good, so trying to go backwards 5cm was the problem,. I should have been trying for 2m. What a fool I have been. ?

On 27.9.2016 at 5:24 PM, FLASH said:

Going backwards , as hard to learn as going onewheel first time ?

Even harder. At least for me. I rode my first 1,25 km forward without stepping down after 3 days with ca. 1/2 hour training each day. Backwards, I used about two weeks before I could go about the same distance (2.6 km to be exact, that is how long that road was). Training a little each day. In the beginning I could not even go 3 feet. I am still trying to control my turns. My figure-8ths look kind of strange...

On 27.9.2016 at 5:24 PM, FLASH said:

Just do it !    ?

Yes, exactly. You must be determined.

And set yourself small stepwise goals. If you can go 1 meter, say to yourself that you want to learn to go 3 meters. When you can go 3 meters, go for 10 meters and so on. And stop wile you still want to train some more, let's say after 20-40 minutes. Save the rest of the eagerness for the next day. It it much easier to have fun this way. And having fun is almost the same as being determined. And also your brain needs time to grow new neurons. Sometimes you can even feel you are better the next day than you was at the end of the previous day, just like you have been training while asleep.

And a trick: Looking where you go is a bit tricky. I used a mirror to control what I had in "front" of me, and to keep myself on the road. I still use a mirror if I ride places where I can meet people or other traffic, just to safeguard against an accident. It is actually easier to use a mirror than to try to turn around (at least for me), especially on longer rides.

Okay, peeps, you got me inspired to try it. After 537 miles (865 km ) of going forwards, I figured it was time to learn to back up. Here are my first awkward attempts. My entire practice session lasted ten minutes.It was 66 °F (19°C) and found I actually was working up a sweat from the "workout" on my Ninebot One E+.

Going backwards is difficult!

1 hour ago, dbfrese said:

Okay, peeps, you got me inspired to try it. After 537 miles (865 km ) of going forwards, I figured it was time to learn to back up. Here are my first awkward attempts. My entire practice session lasted ten minutes.It was 66 °F (19°C) and found I actually was working up a sweat from the "workout" on my Ninebot One E+.

You did absolutely awesome on your first day!! Now let your brain process all of these new reverse balance sensations! Each day it will become easier and easier until you have it mastered! Congrats!

1 hour ago, dbfrese said:

Vale, tíos, tienes me inspiraron a intentarlo. Después de 537 millas (865 kilómetros) de ir hacia delante, pensé que era el momento de aprender a realizar copias de seguridad. Aquí están mis primeros intentos torpes. Toda mi sesión de entrenamiento duró diez minutes.It fue de 66 ° F (19 ° C) y se encontró que en realidad estaba trabajando a sudar desde el "entrenamiento" en mi Ninebot Uno + E.

Yendo hacia atrás es difícil!

I like the videos of apprehension, because I can relive my experiences, but I have to make a criticism so that other people do not repeat their failures, my theory to learn aq ridar forward or backward, is that we must avoid as much as possible Falls, falls create insecurity and insecurity slows down the process of connection between the brain and the wheel, and therefore it takes much longer to learn something new, to avoid unnecessary falls, it is better to do the training in different phases, just like learning To roll forward, to roll back is better to start up and leaning somewhere and learn to roll more and more distance, so have an acceptable control, (a tip is to put your eye to the horizon and never down in the learning process ) The second exercise is to make the transition forward and backwards and without leaning if it is not necessary and if it returns to have continuous falls, it is evident that if you need it, the following exercise is to make turns back, surely it will do The easier the turn to one side and much worse to the other, train the easy first and when it is at a more advanced level, train the turn to the other, after this continue many more exercises, such as roll back from the first moment And without transicion climb slopes etc, for all this are so fun the wheels, to summarize

1 minute ago, trya said:

you did great! It is quite an outstanding progress for just one session.

Thanks! Obviously I have a long road "behind me" before I master this skill, and I think I won't get to practice any time soon. I discovered my 9Bot's tire has a leak. I guess I need to order a replacement tube, and replace the tire while I have it taken apart.

After that I have some surgery scheduled on my esophagus, so I will be restricted in my activities for at least three weeks. Bummer!

4 hours ago, dbfrese said:

After that I have some surgery scheduled on my esophagus, so I will be restricted in my activities for at least three weeks. Bummer!

Best wishes on your surgery!

9 hours ago, dbfrese said:

That was great. Loved your choice of music. That's my next challenge. I wish I had filmed my EUC learning, but I'll take a page from your book and film mine too. Thanks for sharing.

6 minutes ago, dbfrese said:

@trya: that is impressive and inspiring! How long did it take her to get to be able to do that?

@dbfrese - we started riding last September, and about a year ago she already started doing some backward attempts, since then it was a relatively slow progress because Olga is not trying it very often, as she feels very insecure with this move. If she wasn't scared - she could ride it pretty well, but... she is still afraid to fall :)

Bravo Olga!

But quality WRIST GUARDS IMO are THE MINIMUM PROTECTION!

Even more so going in reverse, one fall and natural to stop your body from ground contact with your arm out stretched risking broken wrist.

To each his or her own, but to late is just that.....

ukj

2 hours ago, UKJ said:

Bravo Olga!

But quality WRIST GUARDS IMO are THE MINIMUM PROTECTION!

thanks, @UKJ - she is protected (wrists, elbows, knees, and normally helmet too), I strongly insist on that :) this time I didn't watch her close enough and she left the helmet home 

1 hour ago, Jose Otal said:

never More without protections

We are all just one unexpected fall away from injury.  Sorry you hurt yourself.  It would be nice to ride in beach wear and really enjoy the freedom this activity offers, but there is always that ONE fall waiting for you , and you never know when it's coming. I know I look like a dork when a use my ATGATT, but, it's my body that stands to suffer when I fall.  And the older you get, the less you bounce and the longer things take to heal. Sorry for the derailment.

Archived