one week on NB1

exge

hi, like the title says, i have been using my NB1 for a week and am still unable to balance on it for more than 2m.

I tried the videos posted by ninebot themselves, tried holding a wall and going around it? tried going from pole to pole (2m apart).

Also, i can glide on one foot barefooted and indoors, but once outdoors and with shoes, i keep slipping off the pedals when trying to glide as shown in the help video.

is there anything else i can try?

Maybe put some griptape on the pedals and/or try different shoes.

But the main part should be - keep on practicing and you will be able to ride. Make many short practice sessions and give your 'muscle memory' time to learn/organize!

For me, once I figured out the 'mechanics' of the wheel while using a wall for ballance, I basically just went for it. By that I mean, I stood on the EUC, leaned forward gently and accelerated. The wheel only gets stable once it's going faster than a walking pace. I might suggest trying on grass. Just get moving and try to feel it once it gets stable. 

What I have found out is that where you position your feet on the pedals is very important. For me I need to have my big toes over the front of the pedal a bit. My ankle has to be right near the center of the wheels axle. Foot position makes a big difference in how the wheel performs.

Keep practicing and good luck.

Q~

Keep going there are other videos as well, the make of machine doesn't make a difference to the principles.  I don't recollect good learning videos from ninebot themselves.  Speedy feet and others though  produce good stuff. 

Jer

Fear itself is your biggest

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎11 at 9:45 AM, exge said:

hi, like the title says, i have been using my NB1 for a week and am still unable to balance on it for more than 2m.

I tried the videos posted by ninebot themselves, tried holding a wall and going around it? tried going from pole to pole (2m apart).

Also, i can glide on one foot barefooted and indoors, but once outdoors and with shoes, i keep slipping off the pedals when trying to glide as shown in the help video.

is there anything else i can try?

Fear itself is your biggest enemy , go outside instead and let go , trust your wings , with higher speed it's easier to keep balance , don't use small Wheels on the sides

King Fu car

26 minutes ago, Bjorn H said:

Fear itself is your biggest

Fear itself is your biggest enemy , go outside instead and let go , trust your wings , with higher speed it's easier to keep balance , don't use small Wheels on the sides

King Fu car

lol my set didn't come with the small wheels anyway :P

Here's a rundown of my last few weeks, still very much a newbie as well. There are gaps of a day or three inbetween the days below, but I don't remember how many&when so it took longer than it looks :) 

Day 1: About an hour at a parking lot, with 1 meter long chest-high separators between every other parking spot. Used one of those for steadying and getting used to leaning for acceleration/deceleration. Towards the end of the hour I started doing careful circles around them while holding on to them.

Day 2: Same parking lot, but started against a wall. Realised that something had 'clicked' and at the end of a 10 meter wall I let go and leaned forward preparing for my first faceplant. 'Lo and behold, the wheel's electronics worked its magic and I managed to roll to the end of the lot, roughly 70 meters. Spent the next 40 minutes doing the same lap, practising turning when reaching the end of the lot. No successful turns were made, no faceplants either though so still mucho psyched!

Day 3: Back at the lot, and again something's 'clicked' since last time. Starting to manage wide turns after a few minutes and about 30 minutes in I'm doing slow, huuuge, figure 8's around two big buildings. Lots of dismounts but feeling the 'OMG I'm mastering this!! Can't believe it!!' with every figure 8 completed without dismounts.

Day 4: Spend an hour in a nearby garage, about 150 meters long and a 5 meter lane between lots. Some lots are empty at the ends so I use those to turn. Every time I try to just use the 5 meter lane for turning I fail and need to dismount so I don't scratch up a car. Not sensing any progress, feels more like regression. Getting disillusioned, considering returning the wheel to Gormash and giving up.

Day 5: Go back to the parking lot, more figure 8's. For 2-3 hours, charged twice. The wind is awesome, the riding is awesome, the turning, well, I don't need 6-7 meters anymore, but I need more than 3. Meh.

Day 6: Back to the garage, 20 minutes of pure joy! Something 'clicked' again, turning within 3 meters is stable *flexes while on the wheel*.. *loses balance*.. *manages to barely catch the wheel, next to a Very expensive looking mercedes*... Decides to stop using the garage!!!

Day 7: More parking lot, feeling very confident here. Know every bump, hole, and incline and aim for them whenever possible. Practising unassisted mounting, and much fail was had.

Sometime around here my Ninebot One E+ arrived (roughly a week now), after few minutes on it to get used to the difference in handling I was more comfortable on it than I'd ever been on the starter wheel (Orb x2 or something, generic). The extra torque was very noticeable and I was ecstatic. Since then I've rolled around 16km on sand/gravel roads as well as regular pavement.

I still struggle a ton with unassisted mounting, no chance at going backwards, people around when doing tight turns freaks me out, etc. Still a long way to go.

In short, keep at it and at some point you'll get a 'Click!' and rapid progress will follow ^_^

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2016 at 9:15 AM, barash said:

Here's a rundown of my last few weeks, still very much a newbie as well. There are gaps of a day or three inbetween the days below, but I don't remember how many&when so it took longer than it looks :) 

Day 1: About an hour at a parking lot, with 1 meter long chest-high separators between every other parking spot. Used one of those for steadying and getting used to leaning for acceleration/deceleration. Towards the end of the hour I started doing careful circles around them while holding on to them.

Day 2: Same parking lot, but started against a wall. Realised that something had 'clicked' and at the end of a 10 meter wall I let go and leaned forward preparing for my first faceplant. 'Lo and behold, the wheel's electronics worked its magic and I managed to roll to the end of the lot, roughly 70 meters. Spent the next 40 minutes doing the same lap, practising turning when reaching the end of the lot. No successful turns were made, no faceplants either though so still mucho psyched!

Day 3: Back at the lot, and again something's 'clicked' since last time. Starting to manage wide turns after a few minutes and about 30 minutes in I'm doing slow, huuuge, figure 8's around two big buildings. Lots of dismounts but feeling the 'OMG I'm mastering this!! Can't believe it!!' with every figure 8 completed without dismounts.

Day 4: Spend an hour in a nearby garage, about 150 meters long and a 5 meter lane between lots. Some lots are empty at the ends so I use those to turn. Every time I try to just use the 5 meter lane for turning I fail and need to dismount so I don't scratch up a car. Not sensing any progress, feels more like regression. Getting disillusioned, considering returning the wheel to Gormash and giving up.

Day 5: Go back to the parking lot, more figure 8's. For 2-3 hours, charged twice. The wind is awesome, the riding is awesome, the turning, well, I don't need 6-7 meters anymore, but I need more than 3. Meh.

Day 6: Back to the garage, 20 minutes of pure joy! Something 'clicked' again, turning within 3 meters is stable *flexes while on the wheel*.. *loses balance*.. *manages to barely catch the wheel, next to a Very expensive looking mercedes*... Decides to stop using the garage!!!

Day 7: More parking lot, feeling very confident here. Know every bump, hole, and incline and aim for them whenever possible. Practising unassisted mounting, and much fail was had.

Sometime around here my Ninebot One E+ arrived (roughly a week now), after few minutes on it to get used to the difference in handling I was more comfortable on it than I'd ever been on the starter wheel (Orb x2 or something, generic). The extra torque was very noticeable and I was ecstatic. Since then I've rolled around 16km on sand/gravel roads as well as regular pavement.

I still struggle a ton with unassisted mounting, no chance at going backwards, people around when doing tight turns freaks me out, etc. Still a long way to go.

In short, keep at it and at some point you'll get a 'Click!' and rapid progress will follow ^_^

happy for the update

the brain is an amazing thing and one's ability to learn something which seems foreign has such person-to-person variability No different than a child learning how to swim ride a bike. Some kids pick it up in a day and some kids take months. As adults, our learning process should be slower, but there is a great deal of variability in what your brain will allow you to do and believe when you get upon a powered single-wheeled device.  The cliché "mind over matter".certainly comes into play here.

Sounds like you are making great progress, even if it is slower than you wanted or slower than others. A lot of folks have given up because they just couldn't get past and that is a shame. I'm glad you were not one of those people. Continued success and good luck and thanks for giving us an update

On 9/11/2016 at 8:23 PM, exge said:

so it really is "practice makes perfect" then? .. ok, i will update again after another week of practice.

wish me luck :)

ok its been waaaay longer than 2 weeks, but i can now mount unassisted and move straight with some turns! yay!

it does wobble left/right when i go at 10kmph, once i get to 25kmph the wobble is significantly less noticeable. i suspect its the leg muscles not trained enough but still the wobble can throw me off balance some times.

Archived