Colorful msuper3

@Jane Mo, Thank you for showing us that, I love it, I think having the wheel floating in a pool of light like that is sooooo much cooler than whirly lights on the outside of the wheel.

perhaps it is a misspent youth with custom cars and the Kings Road Cruises in Chelsea London, those cars always looked great with under chassis lighting as well.

36 minutes ago, Ben Wilson said:

I wonder if led lights can be powered thru usb port on msuper3? Most run on 12dc power. 

Powering thu the 5v usb port might be tricky. And other solutions will be either too bulky or not enough capacity for a long ride,  if powered by a small 12 v battery. You can combine several 12 batteries in parallel though, to increase capacity. They sell 12v battery containers that allow to do that, pretty cheap on ebay.

Also, you can use this type of light powered by 2 double A batteries or from the usb port thru an adapter. Its not gonna change color but it will have a couple of different blinking modes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neon-LED-Light-Glow-EL-Wire-String-Strip-Rope-Tube-Car-Dance-Party-Controller-/281113937872?var=&hash=item4173b247d0:m:mmpGQknI_soCzp3VJrhGBKg

On 2016/8/29 at 0:32 AM, MaxLinux said:

Very cool! Does the msuper 3 come with this color-changing feature built in?

no,it is DIY by customer

4 hours ago, Ben Wilson said:

I wonder if led lights can be powered thru usb port on msuper3? Most run on 12dc power. 

it is a belt which attached to the wheel,and controlled by remote controller.

5 hours ago, Ben Wilson said:

It comes down probably to "convenience", as 12V transformers are quite common and most car batteries have nominal voltage of 12V... the LEDs themselves need (depending on type and color) roughly 2-3V + some voltage drop over a resistor to control the current, more if there are multiple leds in series (I think most of the led-strips that use 12V have something like 3 leds in series and multiple series in parallel, so you can cut the strip at the marked points, many "power" leds are actually multiple leds in series in a single casing). Not too hard to build one that works out from 5V output yourself.

2 hours ago, esaj said:

It comes down probably to "convenience", as 12V transformers are quite common and most car batteries have nominal voltage of 12V... the LEDs themselves need (depending on type and color) roughly 2-3V + some voltage drop over a resistor to control the current, more if there are multiple leds in series (I think most of the led-strips that use 12V have something like 3 leds in series and multiple series in parallel, so you can cut the strip at the marked points, many "power" leds are actually multiple leds in series in a single casing). Not too hard to build one that works out from 5V output yourself.

Esaj, do you think, if one builds a 5v circuit out of the led strip, will the remote control work? It is needed to change the colors. Normally there is a sensor for remote control connected to the 12v power adapter.

Edit:

Actually, i just noticed - look at the first picture - there seems to be a power cord lurking behind the wheel!! Looks like the loghts are still connected to the wall outlet 12v adapter!!!! I dont think the wheel is ridiable like that, unless you bring the wall outlet with you :) 

10 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Esaj, do you think, if one builds a 5v circuit out of the led strip, will the remote control work? It is needed to change the colors. Normally there is a sensor for remote control connected to the 12v power adapter.

There's an easier option too, didn't bother to look if there are cheaper ones available:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC5V-USB-LED-Strip-5050-RGB-TV-Background-Lighting-60LEDs-m-with-17Key-RF-Controller-50cm/32691176655.html

Just be sure to get the waterproof-version  ;)  Other sellers could have IP68 -options too (can be submerged underwater without damage), at least the 12V strips are available as such.

EDIT: Oh, and do check the maximum current or wattage for the USB-port, so you don't put too much load on it.

Edit:

Actually, i just noticed - look at the first picture - there seems to be a power cord lurking behind the wheel!! Looks like the loghts are still connected to the wall outlet 12v adapter!!!! I dont think the wheel is ridiable like that, unless you bring the wall outlet with you :) 

:D

10 hours ago, HEC said:

Ive been looking at these trying to figure out how to power the apeakers for the wheel. Still looking at many different options. Would love to have 12v on the wheel. I think the challenge with these will be finding space for it, attachment inside the wheel as well as all the connectors and the 12v output port. If i ever get it done though, i will get the converter that can give me at least 40w of output power.

Archived