Bent foot stand (ks16)

JB01

Hi all, just a quick summary of a problem I had with KS16 which is now resolved with the good support of @Jason McNeil

So I have a KS16 which I had been riding for about a month when I heard a scraping noise somewhere from the machine. It turned out that one of the "arms" between the foot stand and the wheel was so bent that it scraped against the when when I was turning/leaning. I contacted Jason from whom I bought the wheel and got replacement parts straight away which I'm really grateful for.

So after taking the poor thing apart I never managed to get the foot stands off so I could not change the hole "arm". Instead I just changed the bolts and the upper part of the "arm" and that seems to have done the trick. I haven't gone very far yet so worst case I'll get the same problem again but I kind of doubt that.

Anyway, this is just a general message if you have the same problem then it might very well be a quite easy thing to get fixed so don't panic like I did. 

I'm 90 kg and don't ride like crazy (over 40), but it might be that this has happen when I was training doing a one foot start (2*90 on one side).

So what I'm thinking here is that maybe it's possible to get some better harden bolts if the problem comes back. The only question is how much torque I dare to use when the "arms" are aluminum.

A final note is that the faulty bolts are straight so my guess is that the material got weaker allowing it to flex. Separating this arm into two different sections looks like a bad design choice compared to ninebot that only uses one piece of metal but maybe there is some good reason for it.

57 minutes ago, JB01 said:

Hi all, just a quick summary of a problem I had with KS16 which is now resolved with the good support of @Jason McNeil

So I have a KS16 which I had been riding for about a month when I heard a scraping noise somewhere from the machine. It turned out that one of the "arms" between the foot stand and the wheel was so bent that it scraped against the when when I was turning/leaning. I contacted Jason from whom I bought the wheel and got replacement parts straight away which I'm really grateful for.

So after taking the poor thing apart I never managed to get the foot stands off so I could not change the hole "arm". Instead I just changed the bolts and the upper part of the "arm" and that seems to have done the trick. I haven't gone very far yet so worst case I'll get the same problem again but I kind of doubt that.

Anyway, this is just a general message if you have the same problem then it might very well be a quite easy thing to get fixed so don't panic like I did. 

I'm 90 kg and don't ride like crazy (over 40), but it might be that this has happen when I was training doing a one foot start (2*90 on one side).

So what I'm thinking here is that maybe it's possible to get some better harden bolts if the problem comes back. The only question is how much torque I dare to use when the "arms" are aluminum.

A final note is that the faulty bolts are straight so my guess is that the material got weaker allowing it to flex. Separating this arm into two different sections looks like a bad design choice compared to ninebot that only uses one piece of metal but maybe there is some good reason for it.

Are you sure that did not come from a Crash when learning?

I am 100kg(without anything) and starting with one foot all the time...also i drive like crazy (46 ;-))....so  i think you can learn one pedal start at all!

a bent "leg" is normally resulting from crashing/pushing/slamming one pedal to the ground or to a wall...

...but whatever: Good Advice :-)

12 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Are you sure that did not come from a Crash when learning?

I am 100kg(without anything) and starting with one foot all the time...also i drive like crazy (46 ;-))....so  i think you can learn one pedal start at all!

a bent "leg" is normally resulting from crashing/pushing/slamming one pedal to the ground or to a wall...

...but whatever: Good Advice :-)

Yes, I had a couple of bad ones but not close to the bent leg problem. But it's not so strange, so what I tried was to get the wheel balanced meaning leaning the wheel heavily to the left and getting up on the right foot. I kind of doubt that a m8 bolt can take that kind of force without bending.

Even if I had this problem I'm really impressed by the build quality

2 minutes ago, JB01 said:

Yes, I had a couple of bad ones but not close to the bent leg problem. But it's not so strange, so what I tried was to get the wheel balanced meaning leaning the wheel heavily to the left and getting up on the right foot. I kind of doubt that a m8 bolt can take that kind of force without bending.

Even if I had this problem I'm really impressed by the build quality

Hmmh..it is not that i do not believe you!!!

...but that would rule out one leg riding to all heavier riders....as they got there complete weight on on pedal...and a lot of People are doing that for fun(me also)

My KS18 even has a not "so wide" aluminium legs with the same pedal as kS16 and as the leg is not wide enough for the pedal.... KS put also some washers on the bolt....

And no bending Problem at all...with one foot riding

I have to agree with @KingSong69

I am 110 kg, always start on one pedal (how else can you mount???) and I also did some one legged riding (not very good at it, but that if anything makes it worse for the wheel). 

It was probably a one time problem with a wheel that did not come right from the production line ...

The pilar is just ok at least the lower part. So this is what I did after taking the hole thing apart:

1. Trying to tightening the pilar and screws that was already on. This also including taking the pilar of and trying to adjust the angle to get it to point outwards. No success, still leaning inwards
  2. Only changing the top part of the pilar and the screws/bolts (not native English speaker so what's the term here?) and this did the trick. So it was either the top pilar part or screws. I can't see anything that looks bad on any of the parts so I really don't know.

Anyway, the loosening problem is back again after riding about 10 km so there will be a new operation tomorrow. At the end of my ride yesterday I noticed and play when I moved forward and backwards or when rocking it forward and backward so I think I was a bit optimistic only tightening the bolts without any locking glue so this time I'll be aiming for something like Loctite 243 just hope I can get the bloody thing off again after.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I had a similar problem with both pedals on mine.  The arm worked itself loose and was no longer grabbing the post sticking out of the wheel properly, resulting in the pedal having some in and out play.  I tried taking it apart and putting it back together tightly with thread lock, but the problem reappeared shortly after.  So I took it apart again and removed the bolts entirely.  Then, on each of the metal mating surfaces, I used a metal file to remove some material so that the surfaces were completely flat as they had some casting marks and other dirt.  I also cleaned the post on the wheel and the surfaces on the arm that grab that post, and reassembled with thread lock again.

It's been about a week now and I haven't had it come loose yet, so I'm hoping it's fixed.  These are the V2 pedals and arms, FYI.

Just thinking if it's tightly screwed no dirt should be able to penetrate between the surfaces. Anyway, my second operation looks like a success, this time i used glue to avoid having it shaking loose and so far so good but I did however replace the screws and the top part of the leg.

On 24 August 2016 at 8:07 AM, JB01 said:

This time I'll be aiming for something like Loctite 243 just hope I can get the bloody thing off again after.

Locktite 243 will be fine, just heat the bolt up before trying to undo it, a soldering iron works well hold it on the bolt until the surrounding metal starts to feel warm.

I wouldn't use anything else like glue for example ;-()

had a bent pedal & arm too, but mine was definitly from the wheel tumbling appx 4-5 times and then suddenly coming to a stop through impact on the pedal.

if you got one of the earlier wheels you may have "less sturdy" arms and pedals. the newer ones are reinforced, made from a better metal and lighter.

i got a "metallic scraping sound" too, but that definitly came from FW 1.22 ... which changed the sound from tinitus to "scratching" at higher speeds. 

one of the big Allen screws of the 2 arms got a bit loose in my wheel. i would also suggest that you open your wheel and check them at every xxxx km or with every tire change. if you ride a lot offroad maybe check them more often, just to be sure. 

I don't like this clamping joint that the KS-16 has between the pedals and the wheel axle. A much better construction would have had a wheel nut with a locking pin (or similar). The clamp on the KS-16 may move outwards over time (mine did on one side, making strange sounds when running over relatively small bumps). I think this joint should be inspected every 2-300 km or so, maybe even more often. Try moving the pedal by hand towards the wheel side. If it moves more than 1 mm or so you should be suspicious. ^_^

Archived