Stirrings of KS Improvements

Jason McNeil

There's finally been some developments on the longstanding annoyances in KS FW and they've actually even communicated them before release!

Updates on King Song V1.21 

• Add RGB light on/off function 
  • Add front and rear lights blinking mode 
  • Optimized motor driver
  • Optimized riding experience
  • On/Auto/off LED lights control mode will be record, no need to adjust again next time
  • Solved lack of power during abrupted acceleration

Updates on newest Android apk V1.4 , newest IOS app will be released around 20th August. 

• Add RGB light on/off control 
  • Add Add front and rear lights blinking mode 
  • Solve the following bug when switch light control mode into ¨on¨, voice broadcast will turn on at the same time
  • Optimized part charater description

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allready mentioned here:

Bugs:

One KS18 User reports his 1200W wheel now to have a 30kmh tiltback!

He has his tiltback adjusted to 40kmh in the app and confirmed....Wheel nevertheless only doing max 30kmh!

@Jason McNeil Do you now this is a flaw or wanted??? Taging Tina here does not help a lot....Can you ask her or Point her here?

Did they turn off the "hello Kingsong" when you hit the aux button? I also hope that when you turn lights off they STAY off even after you turn on/off the EU. cuz I take it in subway and rather not draw attention when I need to power it back on.. 

22 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

New version can be downloaded directly from our site: http://images.ewheels.com/KSv1.4.apk

Suprisingly enough with this new app the "bug" where voice prompts were turned on during changing the light mode via app is gone even with the older FW (v1.19 in my case) so it seems to be app issue rather than actual FW issue so I'm finally able to change the light mode without waking up half of the streeet by loud "Hello King Song!". Kinda moot point now with v1.21 fixing the original issue of not remembering the light mode though. Before I upgrade I still want to check the tail light behaviour with v1.19 as there seems to be another bug (also in v1.20) not keeping the tail light constantly on even in "On" light mode (only works if the light sensor is taped off or detecting dark).

21 hours ago, Maestro72x said:

I also hope that when you turn lights off they STAY off even after you turn on/off the EU

Yes - that's one of the added features - it will rememeber the Light mode settings even after powering the wheel off / on.

31 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

Another issue is if the voice control ("Hello KingSong") is turned off the built in horn no longer works.  I wonder if that is fixed in 1.21

Well technically it's not a "bug" but more of the feature or designed function. If you switch off the "voice prompts" it will turn off any sounds coming out of the built in speakers including the loud horn sound and it uses only the separate beeper instead for all notifications (even for the horn sound) so unless KS will separate the horn on purpose from other sounds and add this to app setting menu it will most likely will be not changed.

48 minutes ago, HEC said:

Before I upgrade I still want to check the tail light behaviour with v1.19 as there seems to be another bug (also in v1.20) not keeping the tail light constantly on even in "On" light mode (only works if the light sensor is taped off or detecting dark).

I talked to @tinawong about this yesterday, I doubt that it has been fixed that quickly to be implemented in this firmware/app upgrade.

2 minutes ago, flass said:

I talked to @tinawong about this yesterday, I doubt that it has been fixed that quickly to be implemented in this firmware/app upgrade.

Yeah unless it was "fixed" by accident / unintentionally ;) Funily enough as I'm just about to swap the boards I was thinking about simply disconecting the ligjht sensor thus having the lights always on anyway (before the new FW and app were released) and though the new app fixed the problem with re-enabling the voice prompts while controlling the lights settings and new FW improved the issue as well I'm not sure if I'll put 1.21 on the new board or keep it at (hopefully?) current v1.19 ...

Anyway - I want to "document" the tail light behaviour with v1.19 in all combinations of light settings and sensor states and then repeat that with 1.21 on the same (old) board befoe I proceed with swap. Just the crappy weather is not on my side for now.

would be nice if an "always forward" mode was a setting.. meaning if you always use the wheel in the same direction it will just keep the headlight and tail light on without flickering back and forth when you stop 

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:48 PM, Jason McNeil said:

New App settings... Haven't had the chance to 'guinea pig' it yet.

New version can be downloaded directly from our site: http://images.ewheels.com/KSv1.4.apk

So I took the plunge and updated the "old" board to v1.21 (downloaded the new app already few days ago) and here are some observations / bugs so far for both:

- If you set the flash mode for the front / tail lights the app will read the actual state on or off state of the lights and change it "live" in the app light control screen ;) A minor annoyance at best though should be fixed IMO.

- The "bug" where the voice prompts were re-enabled by the app while changing the light settings is gone and it was apparently the app issue as it works fine with older firmwares as well now (v1.19 tested)

- unfortunately KS screwed up the control of the light mode by AUX button in v1.21 ... this is a major bug as you'll be unable to control your lights now without app / mobile phone :( If you try to switch the light mode via AUX button it occasionally blinks the lights briefly (most likely depending on at what exact moment the FW is detecting the button push) but instantly reverts back to option selected in app. So as @OliverH already mentioned - ZERO testing!

- I've not yet verified if the distance calculation bug was fixed (or got worse :P) so I'll update this point after the test ride

EDIT: So I've finally managed to do a test ride today with v1.21 firmware. The "good" news is that the distance calculations has changed! The bad news though is that instead of original "inflating" of driven distance by about 24% it now inflates by 36% (so extra 50% more than before)! "Good job" KS ...

EDIT2: After another ride the inflation seems to be a bit lower (though my phone battery died just at the end of the ride so the data from Strava & WheelLog might be a bit skewed one way or another) but it's still higher then prior update: +27.5% I'll try to do some more longer rides.

- tail light is permanently on only if activated by light sensor though this seems to be an intentional feature rather than bug (see other threads in KS section discussing this)

If you've observed any more please share the details in this thread.

45 minutes ago, HEC said:

So I took the plunge and updated the "old" board to v1.21 (downloaded the new app already few days ago) and here are some observations / bugs so far for both:

- If you set the flash mode for the front / tail lights the app will read the actual state on or off state of the lights and change it "live" in the app light control screen ;) A minor annoyance at best though should be fixed IMO.

- The "bug" where the voice prompts were re-enabled by the app while changing the light settings is gone and it wa apparently the app issue as it works fine with older firmwares as well now (v1.19 tested)

- unfortunately KS screwed up the control of the light mode by AUX button in v1.21 ... this is a major bug as you'll be unable to control your lights now without app / mobile phone :( If you try to switch the light mode via AUX button it occasionally blinks the lights briefly (most likely depending on at what exact moment the FW is detecting the button push) but instantly reverts back to option selected in app. So as @OliverH already mentioned - ZERO testing!

- I've not yet verified if the distance calculation bug was fixed (or got worse :P) so I'll update this point after the test ride

- tail light is permanently on only if activated by light sensor though this seems to be an intentional feature rather than bug (see other threads in KS section discussing this)

If you've observed any more please share the details in this thread.

Oh no. So 1.21 is again a nightly build? 

6 minutes ago, OliverH said:

Oh no. So 1.21 is again a nightly build? 

Looks like - it's borderline with "after heavy office party" build :D I've found those just after 5 minutes of fiddling with the wheel in the lobby so I really DO wonder how KS is testing the FW?? :wacko: Haven't ride the wheel yet due to the crappy weather at the moment so I drear what other horrors are waiting for me once I will ...

10 minutes ago, HEC said:

Looks like - it's borderline with "after heavy office party" build :D I've found those just after 5 minutes of fiddling with the wheel in the lobby so I really DO wonder how KS is testing the FW?? :wacko: Haven't ride the wheel yet due to the crappy weather at the moment so I drear what other horrors are waiting for me once I will ...

Looks like they battle up with Ninebot ;)

just kidding. But they definetly need to implement more testing.

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎10 at 5:48 PM, Jason McNeil said:

New App settings... Haven't had the chance to 'guinea pig' it yet.

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjOFZPM0NuL

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjcW9ZckFNQ

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjeFd4bzM2T

optimized lacking power when abruptly accelerate when power on , sounds good , ofcourse power has to be on when accelerating , wonder what it means exactly ? , I have V1.18 , should I uppgrade ?

12 minutes ago, Bjorn H said:

optimized lacking power when abruptly accelerate when power on , sounds good , ofcourse power has to be on when accelerating , wonder what it means exactly ? , I have V1.18 , should I uppgrade ?

I think it refers to issue when wheel folds when used first 3 seconds after power up. Unless you're "desperate" for new features mainly about light controls I'd hold off for a bit. 1.18 / 1.19 seems stable and safe enough for now to ride ...

This means The fault when people Start of after a total "standstill" After The first power on! like overleaning....

KS also integrated for safety lower  Max Speed ...

after 50% batterie The Max Speed of Wheel will go down to 30kmh! Them tiltback...

also it has optimized Motor driver!

someone even Reported that his "max lift up speed" is now 5kmh higher....

seams to be a good one...i have done it! (But rainy in The Moment :-( ...so no feedback from me until now!)

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Thanks HEC, recommendation going out WheelGo/eWheel Customers! 

Of course having 1.18 / 1.19 means that you don't have the safety speed limitation based on remaining battery capacity introduced in 1.20 however that version seems also to fiddle with the other settings which have been consequently changed again in 1.21. I personally don't consider 1.18 / 1.19 unsafe as long as you know what you're doing and observer the speed limits and remaining battery capacity. I hardly ever drive faster than 25 - 26 km/h anyway (and only just last week I've increased my waning limits by 2 from 25 / 26 / 27 / 28 to 27 / 28 / 29 / 30) so I'd not feel "restrained" in any way by this new security feature. In general as long as you do not experience serious issues and don't need any of the new features it's safer to hold od from upgrading for a while to see if any other hidden bugs or "features" might demonstrate with the new FW release. That's hard to avoid even with thorough testing and seems that KS's testing procedures are anything but that ...

@KingSong69 wasn't the lift off speed increased for KS-18s only? Also I doubt that it refers to "famous" standstill folding issue - read the post from @tinawong and the facebook post - both are referring to v1.20 only and "briefly" / few seconds after power up. Neither of those apply in my case (FW v1.19 and several minutes between power up and fault).

1 hour ago, OliverH said:

There's only the possibility to install 1.21 and not 1.19 when coming from older versions? The repository shows currently only 1.21 for 16b.

I don't think v1.19 was ever offered as a download - it was supplied as stock firmware on latest batch of KS-16s from @Jason McNeil and suppose to be "identical" to v1.18 ...

Archived