AirWheel Q5 your thoughts?

inced76

I personally would not get Q5 we had one in our office and it totally fell apart after less than 400km I will send you some pictures how it looks. The plastic quality is poor and screw bosses crack making it crack. 

Another thing that makes me dislike air wheels is the bloody beeping sounds - it starts. At 12 km/h and pedals start tilting back you can slightly push brought up to about 15-16kmh but it's the beeping that makes Any airwheel a no go to me.

positive side is that I do like the software response it's quite responsive 

if if you have any questions please ask me

• 4 weeks later...

I used to ride the Airwheel Q5,as a gril ,the color of the Q5 attracted me  a lot and I like the twin-wheel Airwheel,they are more stable than the single-wheel units (my friend has a X3) maybe I am a bad driver:D.

Two wheels are so much more difficult to steer, have awkward sideways tilt on cross slopes and cambered roads, have great difficulties on rough terrain and are very heavy. 

Airwheels also have small uncomfortable pedals.

I used to ride the Airwheel Q5,as a gril ,the color of the Q5 attracted me  a lot and I like the twin-wheel Airwheel,they are more stable than the single-wheel units (my friend has a X3) maybe I am a bad driver:D.

I bought a white Airwheel Q1 last year, I think it is really portable, Q5 I think is more suitable for men :P

• 4 weeks later...

Dualy are not for grass riding, only pavements/flats but are quit stable and you can stand still without getting off pedals, great for high pedestrian traffic. But I have a feeling because of weight and less battery efficiency, that there is two motors being used, will someone please tell me I'm wrong...

Dualy are not for grass riding, only pavements/flats but are quit stable and you can stand still without getting off pedals, great for high pedestrian traffic. But I have a feeling because of weight and less battery efficiency, that there is two motors being used, will someone please tell me I'm wrong...

I've seen pictures of two-wheel "wheelbarrow" motors in Aliexpress, that at least used a single motor in the center of the two rims, but don't know if that's always the case.

• 1 month later...

I myself have an Airwheel Q3, my wife has an airwheel Q5. Riding is very similar. The advantage of Q5 is that it looks more pretty and it is not as heavy as the Q3. The double wheel is much easier to ride, than the mono wheels!  Even in rough terrains!  The double wheel has only one motor. For more information about our experiences with double wheel models look at twinwheels.tk ?

• 2 weeks later...

It is a normal single hub motor but the rims (metal wheel) is super wide if you can picture that and on each edge you put a tire.  So basically the two tires are solidly joined, not independent.

If you ride a single wheel (single tire) usually you cannot ride a double-tire in the first 5 or 10 minutes.  You can ride it in a straight line but try to turn and it's very difficult.  They ride entirely differently.  Once you've learned how to ride it, it's fun going down grass hills - it's like skiing.  You can transition left and right on each tire like two skis.

I always wanted to get a Q1.

• 4 months later...

To tell you the truth, go for the ninebot mini pro, 'true' 800 watt, 400x2 watt motors, and bigger battery, Bluetooth app, removable arm, goes same distance and speed... I only went with q3 because it had the biggest battery of 340 wh...if you lay a unicycle' down takes same amount of room...

The xiaox mini - arm not removable, most have 210 wh battery, but I have found some selling 340 wh battery, wide price range, maybe because of battery???, but all claim to go the same distance and 1 mph less as the mini pro, that I don't get at all...

• 3 weeks later...

Q5 is similar to the Q3 in performance but the Q3 is available with a battery pack with 340wh, vs the Q5 170wh.

The Q5 is good for learning and having fun, but it is useless for commuting due to its tiny battery pack.

Get the Q3 340wh instead, currently Q3 have gone down in price and cost $500 for the 340wh version.

Also there seems to be 2 generations of Q3 and they can be identified by the weight and pedals.

Both using 340wh

The old Q3 weighs about 14kg, and the pedals are loose.

The new Q3 weights 12Kg, and the pedals are tight.

Pros of the Q3:

Low price

Very Reliable.

Easy to learn since it has 2 wheels.

Relatively powerful compared to generics, and other unicycles that are not ninebot, ips, king song or gotway.

The shell is very strong.

Good for driving very slow around crowds of people.

Can stand up by itself (cool)

Cons of the Q3:

Good for good roads due to the 14" wheel, but not suitable for off-road, on bad roads you get to feel every bump and on very bad roads it could result in faceplant if going fast. Not suitable for riding on long grass.

Limited power for steep Hills, OK for light riders, for a 120kg rider max incline is probably 10 degrees, far below the 15 degrees advertised.

Tiny pedals, after about 6km of riding your feet will begin to hurt, and the gap in the middle does not help.

Since the power is limited at around 800w it is easy to faceplant if acelarating fast for a heavy person.

Lack of an Android app.

Lack of lights.

My advice is get the Q3, but after a while you will want something better like ninebot, ips, gotway, or king song, and the Q3 will still be good to introduce friends to EUC.

I think that the Q3 is a great learning wheel that you will enjoy, skip any wheel with a battery pack less than 340wh, unless if it is only for learning and not commuting.

After 3 months of using the Q3 you will want to go single wheel, but when that happens get a better wheel and keep the Q3 as a teaching tool, and as a teaching tool it's great it is very solid.

• 2 weeks later...

After having ridden a Q5 and an S3 for about six months, I thought I should chip in (also, first post on this forum, hello everyone).

The Q5 is really easy to begin using. It was my first EUC and only having to concentrate on the forward/backwards motion with more stability left to right made it easy to learn. It does catch you off guard on cambered roads, however, and gravel is fairly hard to drive in. The lack of an app and lights may or may not be a problem for you. My shop sold a light kit since it's required here.

I have put about 700km on it so far and have yet to notice any problems with construction (cracked case etc.) save one: the battery pack. the pack is easy to damage from rough treatment. Opening it and placing some rubber standoffs or something flexible to cushion the battery pack might be a good idea. Also, get the biggest battery pack you can find. I went with the second largest available and it's just a bit hairy on my daily 16km commute.

Honestly, I like it and I've really enjoyed my time with it. As soon as I find a store that will sell me a KS-18A, I'll be upgrading to that, though.

On 2015/7/25 at 5:32 PM, Tara said:

Airwheel X3, X5 and Q1 are more fit to a girl, they are not too heavy. But Q3 and Q5 are heavy, if you install a trolley handle for it, it would be better. 

Archived