Replacing control board

Jimmy Kru

In the US or UK you could try contacting @Jason McNeil.

Did you try reflashing the firmware since the wheel still is able to connect to the app?  Maybe uninstall the app, reinstall it, connect and try reflashing.

Did you try disconnecting the battery internally from the control board to do a "cold boot" after the firmware upgrade?  I wonder if the control board might reset itself possibly?   Unplug the battery (usually yellow connector in most packs) then press  the power button on for 10 sconds to drain any power from the capacitors.  Let it sit for a minute or so and then reconnect the pack.

19 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

In the US or UK you could try contacting @Jason McNeil.

Did you try reflashing the firmware since the wheel still is able to connect to the app?  Maybe uninstall the app, reinstall it, connect and try reflashing.

Did you try disconnecting the battery internally from the control board to do a "cold boot" after the firmware upgrade?  I wonder if the control board might reset itself possibly?   Unplug the battery (usually yellow connector in most packs) then press  the power button on for 10 sconds to drain any power from the capacitors.  Let it sit for a minute or so and then reconnect the pack.

So i did what you said and after i reconnected the battery it started showing my board firmware which is 4.16. Instead of 0.0.0.  And in the app it said under low voltage and it showes i heve 2 volts instead of 67v but when i plug it in to charge the charger is lit green, and when i turn on the wheel while its charging the charger shows yellow for 2 min. Really weird.so its not really charging. So i feel like im a step closer lol.any other suggestion??

Does the unit turn on at all or is it still acting weird?  Does it balance?  Are you able to reapply the flash through the app?  It would be nice if the app could flash you back to whatever firmware you were on previously.  Can you try contacting IPS again, and let them know about your progress?  There still might be an easy solution as it sounds like a firmware issue since there's still some life to the wheel.  Maybe let them know what you did, what the firmware is reading now, the serial number of your wheel, and how it's behaving. They might hopefully be able to do something to get you back to your other firmware.

One other option is to retry the unplugging of the battery, draining the capacitors, waiting, and then plug things back in.

Contacting ips is no use i had like 10 emails between us. They are brushing me off nicely with the worst grammar ever lol.and i told them their engeneer fucked up with update n they fixed it a few days later so that u cant update.and the thing now is the wheel doesnt even have random balancing force to it like it did before. I feel like they could have fixed this thing with one code of line that tells the the wheel to update. Kind of sucks there no support on 800 dollar wheel.

I wonder if the control board thinks that there is no battery power so the BMS is cutting off the power from the cells so that it doesn't damage the cells.  But you would think the control board would shut down too in the process... @SlowMo mentioned that you flashed the wrong firmware for your wheel?  How is that even possible if the app checks the wheel first to see if the firmware is applicable for it?

I wonder if trying the procedure in the thread below might fool the control board into charging up the cells and resetting things.  It might be worth a shot even though it's a long shot.  Be careful if the battery is fully charged.  You wouldn't have a jogging machine handy would you?  I wonder if making it think it is rolling down a hill generating some power whether it would kick power back to the wheel to balance.  But why is it thinking there is 2v?  That is very strange...

Can you check that all the internal wiring is intact and nothing has a poor contact?  Where did you buy the wheel from?  Any warranty left?  I thought I heard someone else buying a replacement control board from IPS for $150 USD.  Will they not sell one to you?

What device did you use to flash the firmware?  Was it an android phone or an Iphone?  I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but if you have access to an alternate device you could try loading the IPS app on there and reflashing it if the app will let you.  I'm out of ideas unfortunately other than getting a firmware file and directly loading it onto the bios through an EPROM reader/writer, but you'd have to see what BIOS chip they are using and find a compatible reader/writer.  People have done that successfully with cheap Chinese tablets to recover them, but it's a bit technical to do.

On 6/14/2016 at 9:20 PM, Jimmy Kru said:

i told them their engeneer fucked up with update n they fixed it a few days later so that u cant update.

Sorry, I don't have the i130+ edition, mine are the a130s without BT & auto-updates (trying to minimize the risks of vendor firmware messes.) 

Archived