Playig music via EUC speakers - legal, courtesy and other aspects

HEC

As more and more EUCs is being equipped with BT speakers what are your experiences or thoughts on using those to play music while riding in public places? What would you think about such riders as passer by? Would you be challenged or even maybe embarrassed by your music taste / choice? Are you concerned about legality of such "street performance" / royalty organizations? What do you personally see as benefits and downsides of playing music?

More than music, there is advantage to just making noise. There is discussion over electric cars making noise too, so that people can hear them coming.

And I would love it if pedestrians could hear me approaching from behind, so they would (hopefully) avoid blocking the whole path.

Unfortunately I don't have speakers on either of my wheels, but if I did my backing track would have to be "Ride of the Valkyries!"

8 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Unfortunately I don't have speakers on either of my wheels, but if I did my backing track would have to be "Ride of the Valkyries!"

None of my current wheels have speakers as well (although I'm tempted by KS16) but having chance my choice would be Yello: The Race and if I'd be unable to play licensed music then at least some wroom wroom engine sounds :)

Anyone have some more ideas for perfect EUC songs or sounds?

I would not bother other people, that did not ask for it, with my music. I also don't like it when scooters, cars, and shops play loud music in the streets. The quality of the sound is always bad. It never is everybody's choice.

Having said that, i like the idea for unicycles to have their own cool sound (not music). So that everybody recognises it too. Maybe a drum roll, ending in a climax when you come to full stop ...

As motorcyclists say: "Loud pipes save lives."

Our EUCs are speedy and nearly silent. I encounter many pedestrians, bicyclists, skateboarders and others who simply don't hear me coming. Since I've had my KS-14C I've found music at moderate volume can make them safely aware of me. I don't blare death metal or gangster rap, and try to find a soundtrack that matches my mood and can be appreciated by others. (Like Tito Puente during last weekend's Carnaval celebration here in San Francisco.) Since I'm a child of the 80s I play pop music from that decade quite a bit, much of it is universally recognized and even enjoyed. Also London Grammar, Beastie Boys and Miles Davis. Yes, my musical tastes are all over the place. :)

My PRIMARY reason for playing music while eucing is so others can be aware of my presence (for safety).  The bonus is the enjoyment of the music itself.  Just make it loud enough for others to be aware of your presence but not enough to annoy them.  As pedestrians they won't hear your music for very long anyway.

On 6/3/2016 at 9:05 AM, who_the said:

As motorcyclists say: "Loud pipes save lives."

Only that this is very probably false. Traffic noise is a huge health problem. I quote: 

The social costs of traffic noise in EU22 are more than €40 billion per year, and passenger cars and lorries (trucks) are responsible for bulk of costs. Traffic noise alone is harming the health of almost every third person in the WHO European Region. One in five Europeans is regularly exposed to sound levels at night that could significantly damage health.^1

[...] noise from rail and road transport is linked to 50,000 fatal heart attacks every year in Europe and 200,000 cases of cardio-vascular disease.^2

^1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_from_noise

^2 http://www.transportenvironment.org/press/traffic-noise-health-impacts-second-only-air-pollution-new-who-report-says

I don't want to expose innocent pedestrians to any more noise there already is. There's too many teenagers and others that blast shitty music out of their cellphones speakers or crappy BMWs. However if there isn't people around like when riding at night somewhere on silent roads, I might listen to some radio station through my wheels speakers.  

On 2.6.2016 at 9:52 PM, HEC said:

None of my current wheels have speakers as well (although I'm tempted by KS16) but having chance my choice would be Yello: The Race and if I'd be unable to play licensed music then at least some wroom wroom engine sounds :)

Anyone have some more ideas for perfect EUC songs or sounds?

Wagner : Ride of the valkyries?

I tried to find a youtube video of Fahrenheit 451's firetruck siren (the future thought police burning all books ).

Archived