Sport/ GPS tracker watch?

OliverH

What kind of sport watches are you using? I like to buy one for tacking tours with location, distance/ altimeter, if possible to load gps tracks to the watch and use it for simplified navigation. What watch should I pick and why?

34 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

There was a smart watch mentioned in this thread which looked interesting.

Interesting enough that I ordered one a couple of weeks ago. When it eventually arrives I'll let people know how I get on with the KingSong app. 

IF it actually has GPS, (I'm suspicious the specs might be suggesting it uses an associated phone's GPS)  I'm hoping a can use a fitness app like Runtastic.

currently I use a Garmin Forerunner 410, which plots speed, height track and heart rate well (can't programme in tracks though) unfortunately it's battery is already not holding charge very well even though it was only bought in April 2013.

40 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

There was a smart watch mentioned in this thread which looked interesting.

I was looking that watch too, but it seems you have to charge that very often . Now I have Polar M400,  but when it uses gps I have same problem, have to charge after that. But it is very usefull with other sports with heartrate belt. Normal use as a clock I have to charge it only once in 4 months. I  use sportstracker when doing trips with my euc.

I was tempted to buy one of these, and I still am.  One drawback is that with GPS on apparently it sucks the battery life quickly so expect maybe an hour of use?  I know while using Google Maps on my iPhone the GPS kills the battery pretty quickly too so as long as your expectations are in check, this might be a good choice of watch.  Maybe Keith can give his review once he receives his.  Check out this review here:

Dunno if it really has GPS built-in, but someone mentioned that the GPS/BT/WiFi antenna is built into the strap if I recall.  I didn't read all 143 pages, but there's a big thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/other-smartwatches/smart-watch-android-watch-to-look-1-d5-t3270656

The best out there is the Suunto ambit2 or 3.

You can set up custom apps on it for any sport. 

I have mine set up with everything I want for windsurfing, sailing, and.......EUC!!!!! Each under its own heading.....absolutely brilliant. You can change the rate it checks your position in order to extend the battery life on it and update and review everything online.

18 hours ago, Keith said:

Interesting enough that I ordered one a couple of weeks ago.

I ordered this one and waiting to arrive to! :D

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Anyone get their smartwatch yet?  Was it worth getting @Keith, @Jug ?

I have got it it but I haven't had the time to really try hard to find solutions to the problems I hit.

First issue is battery life is really poor I had trouble getting it to run for even a 6 hour shift at work unless I turned everything off and had the screen appear for the shortest time.

However biggest problem was I couldn't get any app to work well enough to use. Mine is the older KingSong which uses the Android only app and there are 3 of those available that I am aware of: the KingSong one, the Milbay app and Wheelemetrics. With the KingSong and Milbay apps I couldn't access the function to connect to the wheel, it either was off the visible screen or used the menu button the watch hasn't got. In both cases, had I been able to connect it looks like the display would have probably been usable. The Wheelmetrics app got a bit further but the display wasn't really usable and the app crashed each time I set off on a ride. Gotway's app might also work but I haven't found/tried that yet.

i'm more an iPhone person than Android, so I'm probably missing a viable workaround. Any advice greatly received. I would be happy to post the watch to @esaj if he would like to have a go at configuring it ;-)

9 minutes ago, Keith said:

I would be happy to post the watch to @esaj if he would like to have a go at configuring it ;-)

There's a slight problem with that: I don't have a Gotway or King Song to try it with :P   The best I can do is "playback" data recordings from actual wheels, but that might not solve the connecting or other issues with the real wheel vs. a BT-dongle in my PC...

10 minutes ago, esaj said:

There's a slight problem with that: I don't have a Gotway or King Song to try it with :P

Damn, I'd have to draw the line at posting my KS-14C as well - the withdrawal symptoms would be too great. Now if I end up buying the Inmotion V8 ....................

Seriously, the other possibility might be a GPS app like Runtastic, but I was having difficulty getting GPS to connect, I'm still not absolutely sure the watch really has it as there seems to be no way to turn it on (or off to save battery life). I'll continue down that route when I get time. 

Funny how, now I'm semi retired, I seem to have less time to do anything!

Smart this and smart that... ;)  I'll be getting a smart phone, when they have batteries that last as well as my feature phone (now that the battery's more worn, I already have to charge it every... 2 to 4 weeks, depending on usage). I forgot an iPhone 5 (I use it only for work & as a camera) on the table for a few days and it has died completely. Unacceptable. Who the hell wants a watch that has to be charged even daily, not to mention every X hours? :P

Here are some pics of the No.1D6 I got about 2 weeks ago running the KIngsong app.This is an Android watch running Lollipop so you can install any Euc app for Android.I use an older rockwheel app to monitor my Kingsong 14c while riding because it connects to Kingsong wheels and is easier to see while riding in the sunlight outdoors.The downside is that the watch screen is only 320x320 so the app is cutoff on the bottom portion and you cannot see the screen section in the kingsong app where it shows the devices to connect to.This is common since most apps are designed to run on larger screens.I solved that issue by rooting the watch and installing an app that allows you to change the dpi settings on the fly if you have a rooted device.

5.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

I don't think the battery tech has quite kept up with other advancements, but hopefully it will get there in time.  I think you might have a long wait for a smart phone esaj if you set the bar that high!  :lol:  Plus you'd be missing out on all the conveniences in the meantime. 

How's the D6 battery life?  I'm surprised that the D5 can't last more than 6 hours as I don't recall anyone complaining about that in the XDA Developer's forum, but I didn't read that thread all the way through.

@jrkline would you recommend getting the D6 watch for other KingSong users?  What app did you use to resolve the dpi issue?

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I don't think the battery tech has quite kept up with other advancements, but hopefully it will get there in time.  I think you might have a long wait for a smart phone esaj if you set the bar that high!  :lol:  Plus you'd be missing out on all the conveniences in the meantime. 

Well, it is a bit contradictory, since I work for a mobile games company, and it is the smart phone users that basically pay my salary... So keep on using them! Don't forget to make a lot of in-app purchases and subscritptions to keep my money tap not going dry! Erm, I mean, enjoy the games! ;)

But in reality, I have very little use for a smart phone, apparently unlike most other people  :P  I need a keyboard and a large screen (or two, or four) to do my stuff... well, I could get by with a single smaller screen (if need be), but a keyboard is a must. Btw, since 2005, all I've used is "Orgasmatron"s (aka Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000):

b112ddfc-0541-4948-a804-a7268b0cc2a7.jpg

Natural-Ergonomic-Keyboard-4000-2.jpg

To me, phone is, well, just a phone. You make calls and send SMS with it, for anything "serious", you need at least a laptop, preferably a real desktop (with a multicore Xeon-processor and 10+GB of memory) ;)  But my needs might be very, very different from most people :P 

@esaj look at that keyboard! No wonder you type so fast!  Lots of hills and valleys. That would make a great obstacle for my EUC course?

I got lost last week in a park and had to ride down a busy road before I spotted my truck.  Learned hand singles real quick. This topic got me thinking and I bought this from Amazon. Should take me back to my car every time I hope. 

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Foretrex-401-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B002EOSQII/ref=sr_1_30?s=gps&ie=UTF8&qid=1469821953&sr=1-30

That keyboard is similar to the one I left too long on my car dashboard during a hot, sunny day.  :lol:  But it's just a little bit obscene with all the curves and valleys.  There's even a little clitoris thingy in the middle there.   Plus it's wearing a thong!  They let you use that at work?  I would have thought HR would be on your case esaj.  Naughty naughty!

@Bjorn H I know my posts are pretty legendary B) and full of creative content, but there's no need to repost it as it appears earlier in this thread up above more than a few times.  Scrolly scrolly up or in esaj's case rub that little doohickey thing in the middle until you get to the good spot.  -_-

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

That keyboard is similar to the one I left too long on my car dashboard during a hot, sunny day.  :lol:  But it's just a little bit obscene with all the curves and valleys.  There's even a little clitoris thingy in the middle there.   Plus it's wearing a thong!  They let you use that at work?  I would have thought HR would be on your case esaj.  Naughty naughty!

Well, 1) I work from home, 2) I've got fully flexible hours, starting to work at 12PM? (Usually) no problem!... (Unless there's a meeting at 10AM that I should have attended) You really think they care what kind of keyboard I use? ;) In the last two workplaces (the latter being my current), they've asked me if I have any special demands; in both cases I said I need a specific keyboard, and that was no problem :P  Plus, in my current workplace, at the best times, we had over 30 people working. Now we're down to what you can count with single-hand fingers. Guess who's going to turn off the lights? ;) Work security...

@Bjorn H I know my posts are pretty legendary B) and full of creative content, but there's no need to repost it as it appears earlier in this thread up above more than a few times.  Scrolly scrolly up or in esaj's case rub that little doohickey thing in the middle until you get to the good spot.  -_-

You might get along just fine with me, but take care of the other moderators, their mindset might be... different ;) 

:blink: Oh so are you saying some of the moderators don't like my quirky and sometimes NR-17 sense of humour?  :(  How can someone not like Elvis?  I I can't help it!  These EUCs make you feel all 14 years old again and sometimes certain things just blurt out unfiltered.  I'm all about the nonconformity, unconventionality, and  anti-establishment B) !  Aren't we all?  Heck we ride one wheeled vehicles!  If we were conformists we'd all be riding bicycles and visiting the boring "Electric Bicyclists Forum."  I say embrace your unique side and be different cuz different is good!

I did warn people that either you'll love me or you'll hate me.  :D I am a bit of a bipolar personality that can't help but rub some people the wrong way while others the right way!  <wink wink especially the females!>

Thanks for the heads up though.  I'll post with one eye open <_< which probably will explain some missing words, letters and poor vocabulary or that my dyslexia is acting up.

ps:. What happened to your hand @Rehab1?

pps:  No one else sees the keyboard thong with the directional buttons and lights on it?  Is it just me?  I wonder what my Rorschach test results would be like... 

image.jpg

18 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

@jrkline would you recommend getting the D6 watch for other KingSong users?  What app did you use to resolve the dpi issue?

I would say anybody who is an Android user might like the watch,not necessarily just KingSong riders.The watch is essentially a phone on your wrist.It has a 3g gsm sim card slot if you want to use it as a phone.Plus it is only about $80-$100 depending where you get it which is pretty reasonable.The app for the dpi settings is called U I tuner and allows changing the dpi without rebooting.The default setting is 120 dpi which cuts off the bottom portion of the screen in the Kingsong app,so I just set it to 105 dpi and that solves the cutoff issue.Since it supports the Play store and Google,Maps and navigation also make it really cool.I like to wheel around and have live news on my wrist via slingbox.

Archived