KingSong S18 - presure wash caused malfunction

It is stated in KingSong manual to not do it but I used pressure washer to clean this wheel couple times. Last time I had a little crack in top polymer case. After wash I had been riding it to state of around 50% of charge then I plugged it to charger over night. Charger had been unable to charge it back. I had been able to ride it during 2 days. On the second day I had ridden it to point of tilt back and than full stop. When plugged in to electricity charger turns from red to green in less than second.

I had tried to charge each battery packs separately through plugging it one by one to motherboard. It does not start to charge them. Voltage in battery packs seems quite good for a discharged state.

Should I buy original controller/motherboard part and try to fix it that way or should I try some other fix? Can you guys advise me?

Thank you.

Kingsong-S18.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Bad boy London said:

It is stated in KingSong manual to not do it but I used pressure washer to clean this wheel couple times. Last time I had a little crack in top polymer case. After wash I had been riding it to state of around 50% of charge then I plugged it to charger over night. Charger had been unable to charge it back. I had been able to ride it during 2 days. On the second day I had ridden it to point of tilt back and than full stop. When plugged in to electricity charger turns from red to green in less than second.

I had tried to charge each battery packs separately through plugging it one by one to motherboard. It does not start to charge them. Voltage in battery packs seems quite good for a discharged state.

Should I buy original controller/motherboard part and try to fix it that way or should I try some other fix? Can you guys advise me?

Thank you.

Kingsong-S18.jpg

My suggestion is to sell it and buy a newer/better wheel :P

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, litewave said:

My suggestion is to sell it and buy a newer/better wheel :P

I might just stop crying and order new motherboard :D. This is my first wheel and it is so awesome. I needed this in my life.

Welcome to the forum BB. You could throw a board at it, and maybe that’ll fix it, but honestly, taking a pressure washer to a high voltage electrical device is a really bad idea. I wouldn’t take a pressure washer to wheel with a water resistance rating.  It’s also a liability risk to sell it to someone without disclosing the “history”.

Suppose it burns their house down ? Suppose it burns your house down. 

Ya done screwed up boss.

• Like 1

The thing I would be worried about is if water got into the battery packs. That's a real (fire and failure) danger.

If you can definitely rule that out, you can see if a new board helps or just the charge port got loose or whatnot. In principle, easy to repair.

But if you aren't sure of your batteries, that will be an issue always hanging over the wheel.

• Upvote 1

Fortunately the battery packs on the S18 are very solid. I would never use a power wash but depending on how you did it you may have got away with it. The metal pedal hanger bracket is good at keeping water at bay on the bottom of the packs and the general bodywork is good deflecting the water. The top is well sealed but isn't protected by anything else. The sides have no access for water. If you went hard on the battery packs with the water stream then you certainly need to check them. However the motherboard could have easily got water ingress. Weakest point is from the front near the light housing this can collect water which can seep in. I would check to see if water has got in and if it has is now totally dry (could be shorting hence charging issue or now broken). I wouldn't keep the wheel indoors, too much of a fire risk. Until you have checked the batteries are unaffected. 

If the packs don't charge individually (there are three of them) then it's probably the board. 

Make sure only one of the three is plugged because one problematic pack could stop charging for the healthy packs. 

The board could be fine if that's the case.

Also take some high resolution pictures of the packs and boards. Look for water spots. Lack of dust in a spot can be a water spot.