MTEN5 - 84v - 50s

slippyfeet

• slippyfeet changed the title to mten-series style light tease event on Facebook

MTEN5 - 84v has been announced. 

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/noJy7tDZpB8iVaUz/?mibextid=oFDknk

Allegedly waterproof. 

Led lights. 

Every wheel in this post seems to be announced one after the other so far 

http://youtube.com/post/UgkxztEhBEpsX3wX-r5v62RqtqsL8x6O5Fn1?si=FHW3Pdr855mWoRi6

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

Has bluetooth speakers in the headlight apparently, weird.

Same axle as A2, looks heaps bigger than mten4 and closer to A2 size. Also has ugly orange.. Think I'll go with an mten4 instead

Available for preorder now, they said next month is another new wheel

Edited by Frolic0415

• Ronin Ryder changed the title to MTEN5 - 84v - 50s

IP67 but I wonder if they came up with some new method to protect the bearings better or if it's just the standard oil seal over bearings design (i.e. not waterproof).

Bravo Begode!

They produced a lightweight performance wheel with ergonomic features.
I'm particularly impressed with the innovative trolley handle design.

The closed PC shell and IP67 makes it particularly useful for commuting in rainy and snowy climates.

Finally, a worthy successor to the MCM5v2!

• Like 1

Just now, Jason McNeil said:

It's a nice package, but I'm disappointed that they didn't adopt the A2+ 24FET board here. We've got enough experience on the A2/MTen4 to have a statistical sense that those controller failure rates are not brilliant, & here, they're pushing the performance envelope even. You'd think that after a decade of making Wheels, the principle of an 'ounce of prevention' would be strongly rooted into Engineeering decision. 

I suppose that will be in the mTen5 Pro, held back for release until the InMotion E25 announcement.

• Haha 1

The silcone casing is an interesting solution. I'm curious how heat will affect the lifetime of the control board and battery.
There don't seem to be any cooling fins and you're basically insulating all the electronics and battery in a silicone sock.

Looking forward to overheating tests in warm climates.

Edited by Asphalt
effect vs affect

34 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Bravo Begode!

They produced a lightweight performance wheel with ergonomic features.
I'm particularly impressed with the innovative trolley handle design.

The closed PC shell and IP67 makes it particularly useful for commuting in rainy and snowy climates.

Finally, a worthy successor to the MCM5v2!

Totally agree;

Looking at everything that we know so far, it seems like a very compelling option for a portable yet capable city commuter. I really dislike the fact that it doesn't seem to have a smart BMS, though...

I wonder how it would compare to my trusty ol' Tesla, aside from having a lot higher build quality (assuming it'll resemble the quality of all other new Begode wheels).

I wanted to compare the size (for the Tesla, it's L420xW230xH570mm). I assume the given 403x192x488 dimensions are measured with the pads?

The A2 is 419x216x600, so just a little bigger, and without the trolley handle... anything else that differentiates the two?

26 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

It's a nice package, but I'm disappointed that they didn't adopt the A2+ 24FET board here. We've got enough experience on the A2/MTen4 to have a statistical sense that those controller failure rates are not brilliant, & here, they're pushing the performance envelope even. You'd think that after a decade of making Wheels, the principle of an 'ounce of prevention' would be strongly rooted into Engineering decision. 

A worse controller it seems, would be a shame... From what I've heard, the Tesla's mainboard is quite bulletproof and stays nice and cool, which is true for me at least.

Edited by Tomallo

18 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Haha, yeah, I've already asked them, they're willing to do it, for a slight fee of course :lol:. "you can use A2P controller as special configure, different with other dealer".  Frequently Begode pricing is totally arbitrary: when requesting the A2 50S (not +) they were demanding an extra $200 for substituting 40x GB cells for 50S, it was an epic round of negotiations to bring that variant back down to earth.  Looking at the volume price, I think this Wheel should be selling between $1,300-$1,500 depending on how much Russian Roulette a Dealer wants gamble with on the first production round, without any outside testing/validation process.      

If you can get an mTen5+ exclusive to eWheels with the 24FET board, then I know where I'm buying my next wheel!

Perhaps they can leave out the LED strip and bluetooth speaker and do a straight trade for the 24FET board upgrade?

12 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Same weight as Tesla 2, but with lower power & a smaller battery... is this really progress?

Depends on how important it is for you to be able to ride underwater. 😁 (Warranties does not apply)

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Begode's rate of iteration is impressive.

The mTen5 is a culmination of improved battery tech, controller design, software improvements, ingress protection, frame and trolley design.

Assuming that there are no major electronic reliability issues, this wheel should be a great commuter solution for a lot of people.

In the spirit of Kaizen, there are always elements to try to improve on.
Here are a few things to inspire the Begode engineers for the next round:

• Centre the carry handle:
    It's currently offset backwards in order to make room for the screen. When lifting the wheel by the handle you can see that the wheels tilts forward because the handle is not in line with the wheel's centre of gravity. This is fine for short distances, but will be quite fatiguing over time.
  • Round the carry handle:
    The square profile of the carry handle has aesthetic continuity with the rest of the wheel, but is not an ergonomic design. A rounded profile is more comfortable.
  • Thicken the carry handle:
    The carry handle is quite thin. A thicker handle ~3cm diameter, like a kettlebell handle would allow you to manipulate the wheel more easily while carrying it.
  • Improve side plate structural design:
    Currently the upper assembly (control board, batteries, speaker, lights, trolley and handle) are attached to the motor via the flat polycarbonate side panels. They are supported by ~16? screws per side. The panels would be more supportive and easier to align with the upper assembly, if there was a slight lip carved/molded into the flat panels, to support the upper assembly. This would allow the shell to provide vertical support of the upper assembly, instead of solely relying on the shear strength of the screws.
  • Add a cooling channel:
    Currently the control board sits directly on top of the batteries in a sealed container. This is terrible for heat dissipation and can cook the electronics leading to shorter operating life and early overheating warnings. An air gap between the controller and batteries would allow space for heatsink fins. Orient the gap in the direction that the wheel is traveling and you have natural air-cooling as the wheel picks up speed.

Props to Begode for evolving so quickly. They have their issues, but I appreciate the innovative direction they're headed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Same weight as Tesla 2, but with lower power & a smaller battery... is this really progress?

Would love to gift my 9 year old daughter an upgrade, but I also see no reason why I should replace the MCM5 V2 800wh with a heavier Mten5?  

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Like 1