Just crashed

44 minutes ago, Funky said:

I think it was pothole - idk why i think that.. Just a feeling. :efefb6a84e:

Lols, no, I mean more specifically what happened when he went in it, how deep was it, what sort of speed was he going at the time, did the wheel tip; that sort of thing... just a general call for more details I guess.

Edited by Cerbera

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Lols, no, I mean more specifically what happened when he went in it, how deep was it, what sort of speed was he going, did suspension bounce him off or did the wheel tip; that sort of thing...

Oh.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I slid like 3 feet on my face full scorpion

Hope you're ok.  The wheel too.

• Like 1

He writes a pothole. I think it's easy to see. Any wheeler can be surprised by a hole in the road, the wheel falls into a hole, the wheeler falls to the ground. What else is there to try to understand? It can happen in a large hole and in a small hole, at low speed and at high speed. I don't think a wheeler has time to measure the height of a hole in the road. We're not going to be stupid on this subject. I'm stopping there today, I'm tired. I wish a speedy recovery and to keep the motivation to ride on one wheel again.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

He writes a pothole. I think it's easy to see. Any wheeler can be surprised by a hole in the road, the wheel falls into a hole, the wheeler falls to the ground. What else is there to try to understand? It can happen in a large hole and in a small hole, at low speed and at high speed. I don't think a wheeler has time to measure the height of a hole in the road. We're not going to be stupid on this subject. I'm stopping there today, I'm tired. I wish a speedy recovery and to keep the motivation to ride on one wheel again.

I picked it up and rode it back home. My confidence in the wheel isn't shaken at all. Went right into the deep pothole and got tossed.

holes are bad!

that's why i won't go smaller than a 20" wheel or 14" rim. the smaller wheels look great, v14 and patton, but just that little smaller diameter, makes them waaay too dangerous for pasture riding. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I picked it up and rode it back home. My confidence in the wheel isn't shaken at all. Went right into the deep pothole and got tossed.

This is why leaves and snow scare me, then again I'm a big sissy. Fortunately a decent suspension wheel can most times eliminate a pothole hazard but you still need to see them coming.

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

holes are bad!

that's why i won't go smaller than a 20" wheel or 14" rim. the smaller wheels look great, v14 and patton, but just that little smaller diameter, makes them waaay too dangerous for pasture riding. 

I don't know why, but it sounded sexual... :efef2e0fff: Holes.. Size.. The dangers.. Riding!

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

holes are bad!

I'm upgrading to a commander pro. The small wheels are fine for like quick trips to the store but if you are going to be traveling with traffic I believe a bigger wheel with suspension is a must

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I'm upgrading to a commander pro. The small wheels are fine for like quick trips to the store but if you are going to be traveling with traffic I believe a bigger wheel with suspension is a must

When you had your crash, you were riding a V12 HS in a car lane at the speed of traffic?

It depends on your speed / weight / tire size ratio.

A larger guy will need suspension sooner.

A rider coming from 16in will need it sooner than 18in.

If you ride at 60km/h you'll need it sooner than 40km/h.

You'd be surprised at how traffic in different countries travels at vastly different speeds.

In the chinese I live you can flow with traffic at a mere 40km/h. Back when I was living on the german countryside cars were traveling at 100km/h on narrow single lanes with super dangerous obstructed corners etc.

• Upvote 1

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if you're a...

lightweight guy on a 19in non suspension wheel riding in a chinese city, your perception of suspension is completely different from a ...

bigger european/american guy that rides a 16in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I have an MCM5v2 (~15" though advertised as 14") and the S22Pro (20"). I ride the MCM at 20-24 but have hit 28mph (and had a momentary cut-out that I rode out of). I ride the S22P 25-35mph top speed (for now). I prefer the 14" for short-range jaunts and errands. It is true that it is far more vulnerable to bumps and irregularities, but I can pivot on a postage stamp and break and accelerate much harder and faster. I might add that the Z10 only comes out when I want to look sexy and am prepared for a beating. B)

For me, the use case depends on how well you know the terrain and the path you are riding on. If in the street, hands-down, a bigger suspension wheel is better. If on a paved bike trail or sidewalk that I know well, I'd take the MCM just for the sheer joy of it.

Edited by litewave

I was riding my V12 (HS) on a road one step above a residential street. It was late at night, with no cars that I could see. It wasn't well lit, and the V12 headlight wasn't good enough. And I don't take this road usually. I hit a fair size pothole at around 30 mph, and it almost launched me. I saved it, thank my lucky star. Normally, I don't do that on my V12 because it doesn't have suspension. But this particular road is usually smooth. Unknown to me, the pothole was created by a snow plow not that long before that during a snow storm, and they didn't get a chance to fix it yet.

This experience just confirmed my gut feeling about not riding my V12 on main roads at regular car speeds. it only works if I know for sure that the road is relatively smooth. Otherwise, it is too dangerous. My S22 is way, way, better for bumps and potholes. No contest. Even then, on my S22, I am careful.

2 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Or is this not safe to ride on?

Well I'd worry about the whole tyre falling off the compromised rim, whilst in motion. It's one thing to limp home with a broken wheel after a crash, but really not sure I would add to the risk by riding it again in that state. I mean that is A LOT of rim to be missing...

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Well I'd worry about the whole tyre falling off the compromised rim, whilst in motion. It's one thing to limp home with a broken wheel after a crash, but really not sure I would add to the risk by riding it again in that state. I mean that is A LOT of rim to be missing...

Yeah it was wobbling yesterday because of that and it would be catastrophic for it to completely slip I ordered a new rim/motor assembly from ewheels already.

Hopefully I get it by the weekend

10 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

It's fine.. What's another crash or two. :D 

If the tube slips out of the tire at best you crash, at worse you crash and fry the board.  The board may be more expensive than a rim and motor.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Hopefully I get it by the weekend

Hopefully so. And I suppose at least that is only a few days to wait with no riding...

I fully empathize though - if I think my wheel is going to be down for a longer than a day I have great trouble not viewing that as a proper disaster ! :)

But if you are tempted, just think how stressy and not fun the ride on a wheel you KNOW is compromised would actually be. I'd think worry would subsume any joy or utility you got from riding it now, and imagine how AWFUL you'd feel if you did ride it again, crashed again, took out the motherboard AND your collar bone in the crash only for a shiny new rim to arrive 2 days later so that it can sit there making you feel extra depressed that your wheel (and you) are broken in other ways that could have been easily foreseen and avoided by simply not riding for 2 days !!

• Upvote 2