A new i5 style EUC potentially coming this year!

Source (also some more discussion can be found in that topic):

The i5 was mediocre to ride, but it was really awesome to carry and potentially put in a backpack! I wouldn't have needed it often, but there were some occasional train rides where I truly wished I had one to get to/from the station and just easily carry it with me otherwise.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

I'm excited, finally there's some hope for this style of wheel. I figure if EUC's were to take off among the broader population, it would be in this form factor; it's just way more practical compared to an electric scooter, for example.

2 hours ago, RooEUC said:

Jason from E-Wheels hinted about the revival of an i5-like EUC which may be coming this year and I for one would absolutely welcome such an EUC.  There hasn't been a small, easy to carry EUC on the market in years.  The Mten Mini doesn't count as it weights 27lbs and is wide and bulky. The i5 wasn't very successful and wasn't very reliable, but it was a very special and unique wheel.  It weighed only 17lbs and could slide into a slim backpack.  There has never been anything else like it.  And so, I am just here to ask if anyone else would be as excited for a new super thin, lightweight wheel. And does anyone know more about it?

New-IPS-i5-Electric-Unicycle-Personal-UrbanTransport.jpg

This i5 was awesome for portability. Kind of wish I had bought one back in the day.

Nah.. I am not excited at all. I always compare to flight carry on requirement and checked luggage requirement.

Carry on limit is 35lbs and usually this limit is something that can be carried on to a bus and train etc.. also.

Checked luggage limit is 50lbs, so u can make one with heavier motor and longer range battery.

Battery should be swappable with two 160wh and two 100wh battery packs. If more batteries can be installed in parallel, its really ideal, because its best to carry extra batteries packs installed on the EUC.  More batteries connected in parallel, more juice, so EUC can be made to take more amps to have more power and speed.

Another one I wanna point out is the tire thead life.

Current EUC's tire thread life of 4000 miles is too small. 

We want thicker tires that lasts longer.

U really dont wanna add any weight to your backpack when u can dolly it.

A light wheel may have a place if it's reliable like you say. But without reliability there are no or few buyers, only crazy curious people. A person thinking of entrusting his life to a wheel must see this first quality.

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear one might get a modern light wheel, that might have a slick design. The i5 and S2 are still (IMO) the best looking EUCs ever made.

I guess it could sell to "last mile" people and for children, basically competing with a v5f maybe?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cam said:

Glad to hear one might get a modern light wheel, that might have a slick design. The i5 and S2 are still (IMO) the best looking EUCs ever made.

I guess it could sell to "last mile" people and for children, basically competing with a v5f maybe?

If it goes over 30kmh i'm sold.. I need only 5km range daily. But i hate i5 narrowness - it's too narrow for comfortable riding. Sometimes i think even my 18xl is too narrow, but that's me.. Other people may have no problems with it.

I want fast wheel with small battery...

Edited by Funky

Copy Pasta from: WANTED: Gotway Luffy or IPS i5

It makes me laugh, manufacturers make toys that have no speed or battery size, or they go very big monster euc's.. Only two spectrums - very small or very big.

Where the FUCK are the ~1000Wh, 35-45lbs(15-20kg) wheels, that can go 24-27mph(40-50kmh)!!!!

I'm all for "new" I5 - cool we are getting finally another smaller EUC. But if it goes 18mph(30kmh) max speed. Not really interested. As i personally would have no safety margin left while riding close to it's max speed. Doh riding laptop and it's formfactor - can't be beat. :D

Also wheel can be TOO narrow. Which isn't good.

Wasn't the i5 the first wheel to use 21700s? With high discharge cells like the Samsung 50S, this type of wheel really could make a comeback and not suck/be too weak. It was always about the amount of power you could expect from a small battery like this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For the design too thin it is difficult to hold with our huge calves. So we would have to add elements related to the buyer's morphology but at the same price. To compete with a V5F there is still work to be done.

• Upvote 1

I think the question is: mten3 or i5? Small and round-ish, or flat flat flat over everything else?

One form factor (mten3) is good for riding and not overly good for carrying. It's a more general type of wheel.

One form factor (i5) is fantastic for carrying and about-acceptable for riding. Feels way more specialized than an mten3 which is a general as-small-as-reasonaby-can-be fun wheel.

For travelers by train, bicycle, metro, or shopping and transporting your light wheel, less than 12 kgs, there are backpacks for light EUC. It's easier than folding a scooter on your arm. :)

35 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

For travelers by train, bicycle, metro, or shopping and transporting your light wheel, less than 12 kgs, there are backpacks for light EUC. It's easier than folding a scooter on your arm. :)

Normal scooters weight around 20kg. So euc can be same weight and it still be more compact and easier to carry than said scooter that weight's the same. 

So in general small last mileage wheels with around ~1000Wh can be around or under 20kg. Falcon 900Wh suspension wheel with all metal build is 25kg. Remove suspension and all metal build - you have 18-20kg amazing pocket rocket. 

ks16, v8, tesla territory. 

Edited by Funky

@FunkyPlease let's stay on topic. 18-20kg wheels are not as easy to carry and are not what this thread is about:)

I believe the i5 was 8kg. The lightest wheel you could build while still being useful/practical (it had a 14 inch tire, after all! One of the standard sizes back then).

• Like 1

This type of EUC would be very welcome. I love the mten mini and mten4 - BUT - they require a fundamentally different way to mount the wheel, which makes them inherently not very good for beginners as an introduction to EUCs. A taller, narrower EUC would also be excellent to remedy that, and also make it more easily "backpackable".

I just hope it's not uber-lightweight like the i5 by sacrificing build quality and battery capacity; hopefully it has lots of battery capacity to get from point A to point and built like a tank, much like the mten mini.

31 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@FunkyPlease let's stay on topic. 18-20kg wheels are not as easy to carry and are not what this thread is about:)

I believe the i5 was 8kg. The lightest wheel you could build while still being useful/practical (it had a 14 inch tire, after all! One of the standard sizes back then).

But knowing how things end up. This new "i5" will be closer to 12-15kg weight. Just saying...

Add better M/C tire, pads, or what not. And it will be around 18kg. :D 

Mark my words - it will be over 10kg for sure.

Hey i'm all for lightweight wheels. But at some point they become a toy.. But hey, some people like to ride around 20kmh speeds - i have no problem with that. :) My daily commute speeds are 25kmh, topping at 30kmh.

Edited by Funky

Yeah Funky, google traduction for scooter is bad, i would say small electric scooter : two wheels, stand position. 

____

I

I - - - - - - - - - - 

0                          0   

Weight 12 kgs max like a V5F.

4 minutes ago, varamontelo said:

Yeah Funky, google traduction for scooter is bad, i would say small electric scooter : two wheels, stand position. 

____

I

I - - - - - - - - - - 

0                          0   

Weight 12 kgs max like a V5F.

Dam that artwork. You took your sweet time making that - i know that. :thumbup: (Good scooters like ninebot max g30, etc.. weight around 20kg.)

Anyways on topic - If this one can go 35kmh at least. I would be interested.. 5km commute it would be awesome. But if it's so narrow as original i5 - no thanks. But i see the appeal of something so thin, etc.. It takes up space not at all.

Edited by Funky

An interesting concept. With a 20s1p battery pack using 50S cells it could deliver almost 3.000 Watts of CONTINUOUS power! Personally I have no use for such a wheel but I am sure plenty of people do. A far more promising concept that that new Inmotion dual wheel abomination.

Edited by mhpr262

On 3/15/2024 at 5:42 AM, varamontelo said:

For the design too thin it is difficult to hold with our huge calves. So we would have to add elements related to the buyer's morphology but at the same price. To compete with a V5F there is still work to be done.

Talking aboit v5f. My v5f less than 5000 miles battery is dying. I used the battery all depleted once and the battery wouldnt charge full with half range and it stops charging ater 3 bars now.

With tire that lasts like 3000, 5000 battery life, u cant really say its good.

I am planning to buy s2. Mten mini sounds attractive but if I buy 98w version for flight then the range is too short for my everyday need.

The only thing s2 lacks is the trolley handle. 

We need trolley handle for even mini EUCs.!

I love v5f trolley handle. Its can really be described as elegant.

Only thing v5f lacks other than non fliable, battery problem,tire life problem that other EUC probably also have, is I hope it has a stand.

Btw who would buy EUCs when they know they have 3000 tire life and 5000 battery life.

s2 has definite advantage on short battery life as well. It can be swapped easily for like 300 bucks.

U buy those EUCs with big batteries, when u wanna replace them, its gonna be major work with over a thousand dollar batteries.

11 minutes ago, dongsoo said:

Btw who would buy EUCs when they know they have 3000 tire life and 5000 battery life.

A 30 EUR tire for 3000 km cost 1 cent per km. A 1000 EUR wheel would need to last 100,000 km to cost 1 cent per km, that is, this tire cost is practically negligible. The lowest cost per km I got so far over an entire EUC life span was 9ct per km.

My batteries last way longer than 5000 km though. Short life span is likely a problem of a small battery and of suboptimal battery treatment.

In summary, many people buy EUC while being aware of their costs.

Edited by Mono

Oh another thing. We want some way to open the pedal without crouching down!!. 

I think some kind of hook on the pedal that u can use ur foot to grab(?) open would be fine. 

Also trolley handle mechanism that allows it to open without bending ur waist..  

• Like 1