My quest for a daytime-visible tail light

I ride with a few guys that are also using those drone lights. They do seem like a good option for day or night. My buddy has a bunch and just cycles them out if they need a charge. Cheap too. If you loose one it’s not a big deal and you can lend them out to other people if needed. 

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

Remote strobes on front (still going, now over 6 hours!)

Bloody things are still going strong! 12 hours continuous now :laughbounce2:

Given that, I am tempted to just get another pair for the rear and use the non-remote ones for something else, even though I've ordered bigger cells for them.

• Like 1

I have the shredlights (SL-FX) and they are nice but expensive.  They offer flat and curved mounts and I just mounted them on the rear battery cases with the 3M tape and they haven't budged (flat mount).  I also got one of these for my helmet and its pretty bright at night.  No idea how bright during the day.  I also have the cheap strobe lights that are USB rechargeable.  I think I paid $12 on amazon.  Just used Velcro to attach them.  So I am a rolling lightshow at night lol.

https://www.amazon.com/STEEL-MATE-Wireless-Motorcycle-Rechargeable/dp/B0948M2Y55/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2DUB1J6S1K37U&keywords=helmet+brake+light&qid=1706559111&sprefix=helmet+brake+light%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Edited by Bigkidneys

6 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

drone lights. They do seem like a good option for day or night.

Right... 

e.g.: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806243764110.html ($12)
(And similar even-cheaper plastic lights of dubious quality, not marketed for drones.)

image.jpeg.354a606f5a5b847a1313c44398fcd422.jpeg

(lol @ "Generan")

Pros:

• Cheap.

• Compact and easy to mount with adhesive.

Cons:

• Unfocused bare LED's, weak throw.

• Questionable runtime: drones fly for minutes; I ride all day.

Status: I want something that's more intense from long distances...

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Where and how did you mount the SL-R1 to the EUC? 
(Do you use rear powerpads?)

They have a bunch of good mount options available. Flat mount, curved, helmet, go pro mount, magnetic etc I have used all these mounts.

Magnetic work great! I use them under the pedals with the SLFX lights.

A couple of cable ties also do ok.

The new range of lights have bluetooth which makes them easy to control.

I use their SLFX, SL1000, SLR1's and SL100

they do cost but they have never let me down and have great support.  

Edited by Forwardnbak
  • Like 3

It's my main hangup about SL-R1 though... needs a lot of horizontal space to mount. 

('Under the pedals' is a no-go for me on the gravel and dirt roads I frequent.)

The Gopro mount is probably the most compact in terms of footprint required, but then it becomes fragile plastic arm sticking out from the EUC, begging to be snapped during handling or car transport... 

Anyway, if you found a slick way to mount SL-R1 specifically, I'd love to see a pic :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Cons:

During my research on drone strobes I saw a vid where a drone pilot took one up a crazy distance and he could still see the orientation easily. And they are deliberately unfocused, they are not meant to throw a beam (ie not meant to illuminate a specific area). If you want illumination of the pavement etc then yes, deffo don't go the strobe route.

An you haven't seen my previous posts then, the ones I bought are still going at 13hrs! :lol:

7 hours ago, null said:

In the same vein as shred lights there are red flashlights that should be quite bright.

I was originally going to go the flashlight route, similar in vein to Shredlights. I have used several tiny Olights for work and they are brilliant but expensive. Currently using the S1R Baton II:

Olight S1R Baton II USB Rechargeable EDC Torch Light 1000 Lumen | Olight UK (olightstore.uk)

The output and beam is simply staggering for such a small device but runtime is too short unless you switch down the brightness, at which point a strobe is more effective if the aim is to be seen.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

The output and beam is simply staggering for such a small device but runtime is too short unless you switch down the brightness, at which point a strobe is more effective if the aim is to be seen.

Yes, I am personally not looking for as much brightness / visibility at RG but the runtime issue is the same. If the device accepts to be powered on while charging it might be possible to use the 5V from the Sherman tail light to have it charge on the go (it is pretty much USB voltage) (or possibly bypass the battery with some tinkering).

Edited by null

1 hour ago, null said:

If the device accepts to be powered on while charging it might be possible to use the 5V from the Sherman tail light

I know that some models of Olight allow the passthrough function but most of the stuff I have come across doesn't, be that regular torches, strobes, bike lights etc.

19 hours ago, Planemo said:

Bloody things are still going strong! 12 hours continuous now :laughbounce2:

Right, I've had enough of monitoring the damn thing :) It's still going strong and we are now at 20 hours runtime which is more than enough for me so I'm aborting lol. God knows how long it would keep going for haha

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Right... 

e.g.: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806243764110.html ($12)
(And similar even-cheaper plastic lights of dubious quality, not marketed for drones.)

image.jpeg.354a606f5a5b847a1313c44398fcd422.jpeg

(lol @ "Generan")

Pros:

• Cheap.

• Compact and easy to mount with adhesive.

Cons:

Status: I want something that's more intense from long distances...

I purchased these and have two on the front and 2 on the rear.  You can change the color of the strobe.  Mine are the cheap ones that only have 2 leds where as the one with the remote has 6 so likely more visibility.  Just added velcro and attached them.  They do very well for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Collision-Rechargeable-Flashing-Motorcycle-Emergency/dp/B0B74VHJB3/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3S9O2MUOKRCYQ&keywords=qvevdacar%2Bled&qid=1706628205&sprefix=qvevdacar%2Bled%2Caps%2C84&sr=8-4&th=1

24 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

During the daytime?!

Good point, no it wasn't, I thought we were talking about being seen in poor/daylight. So how much distance in daylight are you requesting then?! For my daytime strobe running lights I am hoping for a minimum of 30 metres which should give me enough time to react and avoid to most situations for most of my speeds. Given I have yet to have an 'oh shit' moment with zero daytime illumination I think this will be sufficient for me.

On 1/28/2024 at 5:54 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Goal statement: 
For safety reasons, I want to be clearly visible to fast cars approaching from behind from long distances, during daytime riding on rural roads with narrow shoulders and patchy shade. 

Like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.3f6f53efe323a2696ea013627b65635e.jpeg

Traffic is usually 100kph on such roads... I want to be clearly visible if I'm in one of those tree shadows, during clear-noon daytime conditions, from at least 100 meters behind.

I ride a dark-colored wheel wearing dark-colored clothing, and it's challenging to visually distinguish such a rider from a viewpoint far behind, against the patchy background of trees and shadows, as is common in my area.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

Fair enough. As a keen cyclist who never uses daytime illumination and has ridden on roads very similar to that without issue for 20+ years at 10~15mph I'll take my chances that my faster average EUC speed in addition with a rear strobe should be OK. But absolutely do whatever you are comfortable with, theres no doubt that that the more illumination the better.

• Like 1

This was my last ride of 2023, similar shadows to yours in many places! That said I do tend to run a black/white gear combo which helps bring out visibility. If I was all-black like yourself I would be a bit twitchier I have to admit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ever thought about getting a 2nd hand 12v tail light for a moped? 

I've been lurking in this thread for solutions to my own front & rear light for my own EUC mod.

I found all of the solutions here to potentially not be bright enough. I want my rear and front light as powerful as on a moped, so for my own mod I'm looking around for 2nd hand moped spare front & tail light. 

Personally I like the PGO Hot 50 front & tail light, I remember their brightness from my youth, and I should be able to find them used for cheap. 

2017-pgo-hot-50-mcimg-600_170608_7699_1557393594-2576826542.jpeg.5b1670fca4eb0a5fca394d6f358183f5.jpegpgo-hot-50-679253705.thumb.jpg.b52153aedf951e6588ef4a8bfc023716.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I light weight red light on the helmet is a good idea some of em have brake and turn indicators  SOme of em have a sense of humour ,.,,, Just velcro it on the helmet and bobs your uncle 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006467753115.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.2.50816d76ACKzZP

image.png.fa0e66978732de3c31829a602d6a4f66.png

One thing that help boost your visibility is motion. I've attached a neon orange fabric loop to my backpack that catches the wind and moves around when I ride. Might be something that will help supplement the lights.

Reflectors are superior to lights, having reflecting details on your clothing will make you much more visible.

Edited by Rawnei